I got a job at Sephora !!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck Janet!!

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks so much for the advice! I spoke with the manager and I handed in my application. She said she'll be contacting applicants this week :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Congratulations! That is an awesome job to have. I used to work on an Estee Lauder counter and I loved all the freebies that I would get. We would always seem to get a bunch at the beginning of the season so that we could gain knowledge of the new products that were coming out.

Best advice that I can give is to pay attention to everything and any tips that you can get from your fellow coworkers are going to really be helpful.

Originally Posted by kdalt2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats to the OP.  I have always dreamed of getting a job at Sephora or MAC.  I do wonder though, as a guy do you think it would be harder or easier to get?  I think it would be a great way to learn about makeup and get a discount on it as well.

As far as my experience with MAC goes, I always thought it was much easier for guys to get in! As long as they were as personable and could sell as well as everyone, my managers always loved to get male applicants.  Many of the women who came to our store always requested one of the 6 men who worked there more than any woman artist.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You're so lucky, congrats! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You'll find out the perks super soon, I also wanna know, aha.

I'm sure you'll be a good employee, now I want to work there. xD

I think this means you must come back and tell us when any really good clearances, sales, and specials are running...before they are even running! We'll be prepared! lol

That's awesome! Congratulations jellaysickle You'll definitely have to come & post some reviews on their products. Coming from an insider who works with the product everyday is helpful.

Good luck on your first day!

So I just got back from the group interview at Sephora. I honestly think I botched it, but it's all good. I love my job at Ann Taylor anyway. The people that work at our Sephora have mostly gone or are presently attending cosmetology school, one even brought a portfolio. After the interview I felt it was a bit out of my league. Anyway, there's always next time! They're supposed to get back to us next week about our second interview, and after that there's a third interview. I'm feeling like it wasn't meant to be, but that's ok, I'm a novice compared to them anyway, and the four of us were selected out of about 40 applicants, so I was just grateful for the opportunity
icon_cheesygrin.gif

They asked me if women needed cosmetics to be confident. I really don't think so, I think there are plenty of women who don't wear makeup who are confident, so I don't know if I messed that up, but I didn't feel comfortable lying.

Don't let the cosmetology school thing intimidate you; I've spoke with many cosmetology grads who laughed at the amt. of makeup they covered in school. Believe in your abilities and don't be afraid to play up your strong points. Many people look experienced on paper, but when it comes down to the "nitty-gritty" have nothing to show. It's great you are self-evaluating--but don't cut yourself short! 4/40 means you have a LOT to be confident about!

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They asked me if women needed cosmetics to be confident. I really don't think so, I think there are plenty of women who don't wear makeup who are confident, so I don't know if I messed that up, but I didn't feel comfortable lying.

Bonnie is right, that was a perfect answer!  They need associates that women can relate to, and someone going in who flaunts a portfolio isn't necessarily what they're looking for.  They can always teach you application and product knowledge, but they can't teach someone to be outgoing, positive, and great with people.  I bet you nailed it more than you think.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey girls, 

Janet, congrats on getting the first interview! I must admit I thought my first went really well because it was only between myself and another girl. My second interview I thought was going to be the end of me, I felt that I answered the questions all wrong because I was being honest about everything. Third interview went really well, they just wanted to meet me, get acquainted with my personality and offered me the job on the spot. So basically, don't give up. They really do appreciate honesty, since everything is very strict with them, they do need to be able to count on someone if something happens. Your answer looks really good, so don't upset yourself, you never know what surprises them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> As far as experience goes, I have zero. I mean, I love makeup, I practice on my family, on my friends, but never a client. I've never been to cosmetology school, or any college program that specializes in the art of makeup, so I am the definition of "noob" when it comes to this. But, I'm already learning so much, and I have to tell you, I love it. I really do hope you get the second interview though, so far, it's been a great experience !

@kdalt, if you ever read this, I found out that there are guys hired at my store ! I really hadn't noticed before, but they do hire males :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Good luck to you !

Back