I need to find the most dramatic mascara at the drugstore.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lash curler will also make a world of difference in how dramatic your lashes will look. I like using it before and after my first coat of mascara, but be careful if you use it on mascara-ed lashes. You don't want them to stick to the curler and get pulled off! Eeek!
I use a curler with my current mascara (revlon bold lacquer.. came in a sub box, it is AWFUL but I don't want to waste). To avoid getting lashes stuck if you curl them after, I open the curler a little and blink with my eyelid. This way, I don't pull my hand back and rip any lashes off. I just let my eye gently blink and remove itself if it got stuck. THEN I pull my curler away.

I'm a college student too, and I still find that layering mascara is worth it and only takes a bit more time. I usually do at least two, one with a more bristly brush (like Mega Plush) and then one with a stiff plastic brush (Like Benefit They're Real or Lash Blast). The fluffy, bristly brush gets you the length; and the plastic one helps prevent clumping and gives you that extra boost for big, voluminous lashes.

Pay attention specifically to what the packaging says the mascara is for; length, volume, dark color, ect and buy one of each effect you want. Do some research on what mascaras are best for certain effects. Also, a waterproof mascara over the others will help hold a curl. A lash curler will also make a world of difference in how dramatic your lashes will look. I like using it before and after my first coat of mascara, but be careful if you use it on mascara-ed lashes. You don't want them to stick to the curler and get pulled off! Eeek!

And if you really want super dramatic lashes, applying falsies always does the trick. Demi-lashes are pretty easy to apply and make a HUGE difference. 
I totally agree with you about layering a bristly brushed mascara under a hard plastic brushed mascara.  Right now all I have as far as mascara goes is a sample of Bad Gal by Benefit and a sample of They're Real by Benefit.  I honestly hate them both but the only way I can tolerate them or their effect is by layering Bad Gal under They're Real.  I'd love to find two drugstore options to do this with that work better for me.  

As far as curling my lashes goes, I've never seen a difference when I've done it.  They curl naturally to the point where they look like I've already curled them and I've never seen the curl fall out throughout the course of the day even with super terribly wet mascara.  I guess this is a good thing because eyelash curlers scare the crap out of me.

To be honest I'm far too clumsy and lazy to wear falsies which is why I'm looking to find a decent long-wearing mascara (or two) that can add length and volume without clumping my lashes.  I think I'm well on my way to finding one thanks to all the helpful tips and recommendations I've gotten from all of you!

I use a curler with my current mascara (revlon bold lacquer.. came in a sub box, it is AWFUL but I don't want to waste). To avoid getting lashes stuck if you curl them after, I open the curler a little and blink with my eyelid. This way, I don't pull my hand back and rip any lashes off. I just let my eye gently blink and remove itself if it got stuck. THEN I pull my curler away.
This sounds sooo scary!  You're brave.  I can't even put one of those things close to my eyes let alone take the risk of ripping my eyelashes off with one!  I might be too much of a wimp to do this.  Thank you for the tip, though!

Everyone on this thread has been so awesome and helpful!  I feel so well equipped for my next trip to the drugstore.  I'm curious - has anyone here ever tried the original L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black mascara?

I second @@elizabethrose - Maybelline The Falsies Flared is AMAZING! I even got my mom hooked on it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've tried lots of high end mascara (like a lot of us!), but personally I think that drugstore mascara is way better. I just tried an Hourglass mascara the other day and I put on one coat and was like "NOPE" and grabbed my L'Oreal Butterfly mascara instead (which is my other drugstore favorite at the moment). I'm constantly disappointed by high end mascara - not saying they are all bad because they definitely aren't! (Love Tarte's "Lights Camera Flashes"!) I definitely feel like @@doesitcomeinblack - why pay so much for something that's going to dry out in a couple months, when there are perfectly wonderful cheaper versions!

Full-blown mascara addict over here...I have a serious problem! :glasses:

I second @@elizabethrose - Maybelline The Falsies Flared is AMAZING! I even got my mom hooked on it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've tried lots of high end mascara (like a lot of us!), but personally I think that drugstore mascara is way better. I just tried an Hourglass mascara the other day and I put on one coat and was like "NOPE" and grabbed my L'Oreal Butterfly mascara instead (which is my other drugstore favorite at the moment). I'm constantly disappointed by high end mascara - not saying they are all bad because they definitely aren't! (Love Tarte's "Lights Camera Flashes"!) I definitely feel like @@doesitcomeinblack - why pay so much for something that's going to dry out in a couple months, when there are perfectly wonderful cheaper versions!

Full-blown mascara addict over here...I have a serious problem! :glasses:
I'll definitely pick some up!  I should have done it when I went to pick up a prescription yesterday but I completely forgot!  Do you know if there's any difference between The Falsies and The Falsies Flared?  I haven't tried either but I'm just wondering if the two versions actually do different things.

With a couple of exceptions for things like my brow product and bronzer, I only use drugstore makeup.  I think that drugstore brands have been hugely stepping up their game and I just can't justify spending loads of money on buying more high end products.  None of the high end mascaras I've tried have impressed me enough to justify their price.  That's just me, though.  Maybe people with the money to spend feel differently about spending it!

Fellow mascara addict over here!  I'm completely obsessed with my eyelashes!

I really like loreal butterfly mascara! it is amazing! I find that the jordana mascara flakes, I'm not sure if that is just on me though. Also why not get a sample size of benefit they're real? They last for ages and it's only $10. I NEVER buy full sized high end mascara just because I know I'm not going to use it up! 

I really like loreal butterfly mascara! it is amazing! I find that the jordana mascara flakes, I'm not sure if that is just on me though. Also why not get a sample size of benefit they're real? They last for ages and it's only $10. I NEVER buy full sized high end mascara just because I know I'm not going to use it up! 
L'oreal Butterfly was a near win for me but the brush was an absolute no go!  The formula was awesome.  I may try it out again and really practice with the brush and then add a more volumizing mascara on top.  Right now my whole mascara collection actually consists of two samples: Benefit's Bad Gal and They're Real.  I really don't like either of them, though.  I know other people swear by They're Real but I'm SO glad I didn't invest in a full tube.

I completely agree with layering!! I'm also a fan of mascara primer, and I love Loreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara (Red One)!! Love the primer part, not such a fan of the color part. I use the primer daily, and then pair with a lengthening mascara such as the Loreal Butterfly mascara (also love!!). I won't use more than two different mascaras either, that's just too much work. I love Loreal mascaras, I only wish they sold the primer separately....

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny, because the L'Oreal Butterfly one flakes like crazy one me within minutes, and the Jordana one doesn't. It's weird how it's different for everyone. It must be something to do with the way the oils in our skin interact with the different formulas or something. It makes me sad that the Butterfly stuff is such a mess on me, because it looks really pretty on my lashes.

Another vote for Jordana Best Lash Extreme. I have 4 tubes in my back stock. It's just a great mascara. I get really good volume and definition. I prefer it over any other mascara I've used, high or low end.

I like Maybelline Colossal Volume Express. It's the most dramatic mascara I found, but I haven't tried any other Maybelline ones. The only problem with it, you have to be careful not to rub your eyes, it smudges pretty badly. 

Back