I think I ruined my make-up brushes!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MACGoddess EOB brushes are just fine to wash with baby shampoo, I wash mine with it after every use without a problem and without the brush bristles messing up.
You might not have washed enough of th esoap out of the brushes, what I do is put a little bit of baby shampoo in the palm of one hand, wet the brush with the other, and gently rub it into the baby shampoo and work it into a nice lather.

Then I rinse it out very well under lukewarm water. Make sure to fluff the brush around in the water so that any soap that is hidden way deep in the brush will get out.

Then I gently wring the brush dry, reshape it, and put it upright in my cup to dry overnight.

Hi,
My brush cleaning technique is pretty much the same as Leila's.

Originally Posted by kellianne76 Is it your eyeshadow brushes that feel like they have a film on them. My EOB eyeshadow brushes felt like they had a film on them when I first purchased them. The film seemed to disappear eached time I washed my eyeshadow brushes. Yeah. It is my EOB eyeshadow brushes that had the most film on them. I also noticed it being kinda filmy when I first bought them as well. I will probably wash them again in about a week and hopefully some of that filminess will be gone.

Originally Posted by VenusGoddess How are you washing the brushes? If you are GRINDING them into your hand, that is a no-no. You should brush them into your hand gently. Rinsing them completely (water should run clear). In fact, I was mine 2-3 times each time I use them. If you are using brushes for applying cream/paint type make-up, all of that leaves a residue and so needs a more thorough cleaning.
After you've given them a good washing, lightly condition them, rinse them again (water should run clear) and then soak out the excess water from the brushes, shape and lay flat to dry.

Hope that helps.

I put about a quarter size amount of baby shampoo in the palm of my hand. I take the brush and kind of swirl it around in the baby shampoo until it gets all the make-up off the brushes. I don't grind them at all. After that, I rinsed them with warm water. I don't use any kind of cream or paint type make-up. Do you just use any conditioner to put on them?? Thanks for the suggestions! I will definately try it out.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by MACGoddess EOB brushes are just fine to wash with baby shampoo, I wash mine with it after every use without a problem and without the brush bristles messing up.
You might not have washed enough of th esoap out of the brushes, what I do is put a little bit of baby shampoo in the palm of one hand, wet the brush with the other, and gently rub it into the baby shampoo and work it into a nice lather.

Then I rinse it out very well under lukewarm water. Make sure to fluff the brush around in the water so that any soap that is hidden way deep in the brush will get out.

Then I gently wring the brush dry, reshape it, and put it upright in my cup to dry overnight.

Thanks Leila for the tips! Hopefully it will go much better the next time I try to wash them.

I wash mine with a mild antibacterial soap, then rinse well and their just fine. The first few washings did release a lot of film(sizing).

I think your brushes will be ok. You could also wipe them down with alcohol in beteen washings. I've done that on occasion.

Originally Posted by kellianne76 I think your brushes will be ok. You could also wipe them down with alcohol in beteen washings. I've done that on occasion. Thanks for your suggestions. They are fine now. After, I rinsed them again in some warm water and made completely sure the soap got out, I reshaped them. They don't seem as filmy and I have been using them and they seem to be fine.

I feel like I had the same problem today =( It's a strange shiney film thats left my brushes not the same..

Going to try to wash again but I feel like they are ruined...

Originally Posted by MJMUA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like I had the same problem today =( It's a strange shiney film thats left my brushes not the same..

Going to try to wash again but I feel like they are ruined...
Luckily you didn't ruin the brushes but you didn't rinse the brushes well enough. To remove the residue without having to rewash with soap - which you can do again if you want - then simply dip the bristles into a glass containing 90%+ of Isopropyl Alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol, aka surgical spirits). The alcohol should break down the residue and disinfect your brushes at the same time.

Note: I like to wash my brushes than use alcohol or any other brush cleaner (BeautySoClean, Parian Spirit, etc) on a regular basis as to me those cleaners are more for spot cleaning in between clients or in between washings. If you're going to use a product to wash your brushes then try Mona Lisa's Pink Soap which is meant for washing brushes (and it's non-toxic) OR Enkore Makeup Brush Soap. Yes there are DIY versions of brush soaps out there but if you have the measurements off or the site has the measurements of your brushes may end up with a residue on it. For in between washings you can use BeautySoClean or Parian Spirit to clean your brushes both smell wonderful and work well OR use a DIY version.

Yeah, Zadi has a good point here. When I used to work at Lancôme, we used to use Brush-Off brush cleaner, and 'that' did leave a waxy residue on the brushes, it was only after we washed them with a shampoo, that the brushes became soft again. Anyways, the point being, is to give your brushes a thorough cleaning at least once a month with a brush soap, shampoo or a DIY version like Zadi has suggested to bring your brushes back to life again. For busier MUA's, we do it once a week. But for the average person, once a month is fine.

how long did you let them dry for? I usually leave them out to dry for almost an entire day....also I usually use a very small amount of regular not baby shampoo and there still fine...so maybe just let them dry longer?

Back