I Think I Will Pass On the Smart Car...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, they are very very popular here in Italy because space is at such a premium.

I do think I should say several things though, just because i love these little things!

firstly, they do stand up to safety regulations - so they are probably no more dangerous than any other small car that is available at the moment.

Secondly, they are surprisingly (unbelievably) roomy inside, although they look tiny. A friend of mine's husband has one, and he's over 6 foot tall, he fits in with no worries or discomfort at all

Thirdly (lastly) I think any car that was stuck between two vehicles of that size would look pretty much exactly the same after a collision
smile.gif

My sister has a smart car which she loves and my husband is always telling her that it is not the safest car to be in..

I will be showing her this... It might get her thinking!!

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^ Haha.
It's actually quite scary. I drive a giant car but I also have a family to carry.

Let them get out of the car and help!

I can see your concern, but let's face it most saloon cars in a situation between two huge trucks will always look very second hand. True the Smart has a little less metal but then it is really only a town car. I rented one and I found them great fun. If I lived in the centre of London, New York or Paris I would consider getting one. If I lived in LA maybe not, too many freeways.

Originally Posted by Jeremyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif Let them get out of the car and help! *taking notes* Thanks for the idea
lol.gif

jodevies, exactly. They are not made for motorway travel, they're made for towns.

But then, most small cars are unsuitable for huge highways anyway
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jeremyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd get one.If it runs out of gas, I can pick it up and carry it to the next gas station. You can't say that about any other car, which is why this one is Smart
wink.gif

Ha! I've been in several car accidents and that scares me to death.
It makes sense as a car in say, London or another European city where the vast majority of other cars on the road are small as well. But I live in the DC area, and I'd rather not be the littlest guy on the road! Well, except when it comes to parking, because no one knows how to parallel park (people take up space of 2 cars, leaving so much room in front of them and behind them instead of pulling up to the car in front of them!) it looks like it'll fit in the small 1/2 spots everyone leaves open!

I prefer larger cars.... scared to drive as it is, I feel better seeing as much of the road as possible! I need an eco-friendly big ute! I love utes..... not sure why... and jeeps!

But that accident is scary! Not something I needed to see...

The only reason I'd get in one is if I was taking my driving test. This would be the easiest thing to parallel park lol!

Originally Posted by LuckyCharm /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ha! I've been in several car accidents and that scares me to death.
It makes sense as a car in say, London or another European city where the vast majority of other cars on the road are small as well. But I live in the DC area, and I'd rather not be the littlest guy on the road! Well, except when it comes to parking, because no one knows how to parallel park (people take up space of 2 cars, leaving so much room in front of them and behind them instead of pulling up to the car in front of them!) it looks like it'll fit in the small 1/2 spots everyone leaves open!

You can also pick it up and place it by the sidewalk.No more parking troubles.

Reason #2 why the Smartcar is smart
wink.gif

Originally Posted by jodevizes /img/forum/go_quote.gif I can see your concern, but let's face it most saloon cars in a situation between two huge trucks will always look very second hand. True the Smart has a little less metal but then it is really only a town car. I rented one and I found them great fun. If I lived in the centre of London, New York or Paris I would consider getting one. If I lived in LA maybe not, too many freeways. I agree but the problem with this car is it can reach a maximum speed of 55-65 mph and consumers will take advantage of that. I believe if they want to make it specifically for in town only, they should bring the limit down on the vehicle. Might even save more gas too
wink.gif

Wow holy crap!!!!! I like them but not that much. After seeing that I would never ever buy one..no thanks.

With those two trucks, an Escalade wouldn't have faired much better! And that's one out of how many, sold? I think they are cute... Maybe a nice pink one!! Better visability! Lol.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thirdly (lastly) I think any car that was stuck between two vehicles of that size would look pretty much exactly the same after a collision
smile.gif
You read my mind in like, 80% of the posts you make. You and emily are officially my favorites!

If you guys were THAT concerned about the safety of your cars, you'd be driving Volvos while wearing full body armor! You see this and get freaked out because of how the media portrays it. I've seen plenty of wrecks in Dallas where an Expedition got pancaked like that in-between two trucks just like those. Most of the wrecks are the drivers' faults, and I believe in most cases that people in wrecks were at the wrong place at the wrong time and could have avoided them. I took two defensive driving courses and have avoided many wrecks, including one where the guy in front of me hit the exit divider and spun into my lane. I stopped to help him, and my car was untouched even though we were going 55 mph and he was directly in front of me. It's almost always up to the driver...and seeing this photograph, the person in the smart car obviously did not make a good decision. They were stupid enough to be in-between those trucks in the first place. The trucks can't see where the car is, so it's the driver's duty to get out of the way and save their own life.

Sorry about all of that...I just believe a lot of accidents are caused by stupid drivers, and a lot of the time the "victim" is really at fault, either totally or partially...

lol thanks Love!

Im just saying if they were super dangerous, they would have been banned by whatever safe motoring organisation is in your country.

Australia is SUPER over the top re: safety - driving, sun protection and especially prescription drugs.

If australia allow them on the roads, they are at least on par with other small vehicles
smile.gif

Indeed...

There is a Smart Car dealership right near my apartment in Dallas...I think I'm going to test drive one when I get back! I need a new car anyway.

Originally Posted by Love Souljah /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you guys were THAT concerned about the safety of your cars, you'd be driving Volvos while wearing full body armor! You see this and get freaked out because of how the media portrays it. I've seen plenty of wrecks in Dallas where an Expedition got pancaked like that in-between two trucks just like those. Most of the wrecks are the drivers' faults, and I believe in most cases that people in wrecks were at the wrong place at the wrong time and could have avoided them. I took two defensive driving courses and have avoided many wrecks, including one where the guy in front of me hit the exit divider and spun into my lane. I stopped to help him, and my car was untouched even though we were going 55 mph and he was directly in front of me. It's almost always up to the driver...and seeing this photograph, the person in the smart car obviously did not make a good decision. They were stupid enough to be in-between those trucks in the first place. The trucks can't see where the car is, so it's the driver's duty to get out of the way and save their own life.
Sorry about all of that...I just believe a lot of accidents are caused by stupid drivers, and a lot of the time the "victim" is really at fault, either totally or partially...

While I can somewhat agree with you on drivers (despite what they're driving) having to be conscious of others on the road to help avoid accidents, the victim remains the victim. I refuse to be even partially at fault for someone running a red light or rear-ending me.
I stay away from 18 wheelers as much as possible bc I'm never sure they can see me but accidents are unpredictable just as the person behind the wheel of the car next to me are.

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL! You're right! That made me think of this commercial:
dftDBFwY2Lk

:eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />I found my future wife
inlove.gif

Back