I want to stop using Proactiv

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you use it everyday? I use it everyother day and then the other days i use Queen Helene Oatmeal n Honey scrub, Grape seed peel, and mint maks. Then put on witch hazel and baby magic.

I used Proactiv last year for about 9 months! I quit using it because I got sick of paying $50 every few months! Towards the end before I quit using it, it seemed to stop working. After I totally quit using, I broke out like CRAZY! My face is still not back to where it was before and it is very discouraging! ProActiv doesn't have a higher amount of BP. I think the amount is smaller than 10%.

I saw something on NBC where they had three women use three different products and one of the best products (if you use it for 4 weeks and dont give up) is Oxy pads. Apparently it works as well as the really expensive treatments. They also compared it with Proactive and the dermatologist said you can use Oxy pads to get the same effect because it has Benzoyl Peroxide .

I have used, and still use proactive. My skin is soooo dry to start with. I think it's some genetic...thing. lol...anyway, I actually find that the harsh chemicals help clear away the dead peeling skin i always seem to have. And as long as I follow it up with some major facial lotion my skin stays clean and clear. I also used this lotion you put on your face, then wipe off from Merle Norman of all places. It's the only thing I get from there.

Also, have you ever considered going to the dermitologist? They have quiet a few opitions that may be even better. Like this new drug Acutane. It's got some harsh side effects, but you only take it for six months, then BAM...you're done. They also require you to take BC, bad birth defects. My friend is on it, and it's done wonders for her face. She's almost through with it. Her skin has been so dry, but once she's done...it'll return to normal, just w/o the acne.

I used proactive for a looong time, mostly through middle school and early high school. It really started to be too harsh for my skin once I got older and actually caused me to break out more and more. My acne wasn't so bad, and once I stopped I did break out bad, but it cleared up fast. My new regimen takes care of my skin in a much less harsh way, with less breakouts than I had with proactiv. I think it is really bad for oily skin types like mine because everything in proactiv's line has really drying properties. Also, I easily get dark hyperpigmentation spots from pimples and the daily exfoliation and toner seemed to be actually irritating them and making the spots darker.

when i stoped using proactiv my face broke out... but after about 2 weeks my skin was great the only thing from proactiv that i use is the mask.

ProActiv never worked for me. I don't have any other suggestion, but if it works for u, maybe u should stick to it and just use a good moisturizer if it gets too drying

i use proactiv and i only use the toner ever other day.. also don't use the refining mask, because i find when i use that my skin becomes dry and feels tight... i also use Dr. Wexlers acnostat overnight moisturizer along with the proactiv, and i've found that it helps with my acne.. so maybe u could switch to that line, which is sold at bath and Body works and is pretty affordable!! Good Luck!

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif Proactiv was way too harsh for my skin. I've been using the Clinical Basic Skin Care line and it's really helped clear me up and keep me clear with no irritation or dryness. I'm allergic to BP but Sharon is working with me to build up a tolerance but I really haven't needed it since the blemish blaster is working well as a spot treatment and I haven't had a single cyst in months. I sampled proactiv several years back and it burned my skin. I searched around for products that would work. I too use Clinical basic skin care. My skin is doing well now. I haven't had a cyst in months either. Sharron will work with you to get you the right things for your skin. I have spoken to her repeatedly about my regimen and she is always there to help.
I use much less skin care products now and use mineral makeup. My skin isn't perfect but it is getting there. Knock on wood no more acne cysts...at least to this point. I love these products.

Good luck!

Hi Everyone,,,,great discussion.....

I think one of the first things you should look at is what is causing your breakouts or acne and treat that as well as the end result, which unfortunately is acne.

I have a lot of acne clients who have used Proactive. When they switch, they only buy one product say a cleanser. Proactive is a "system of skin care". If you are just going to pick up and stop using it, than plan to use a system from another line. My advice is either PCA or Dermalogica. Dermalogica is very comprehensive. These can also be purchased in trial size packages which amount to about 6 weeks of use. After that period, I have suggested clients return to my office for further professional treatment such as a Deep Cleansing facial.

Along those lines, acne warrants getting into see a person who is a licensed aesthetician as well. Just for the education alone. This is what these folks have gone to school for. They KNOW what can help and it takes the guess work out of skin care and corrective treatments. Call for a consultation, many aestheticians offer a free or low cost initial visit. So take advantage of this...also find someone who is versed in your type of skin. That DOES make a big difference. I would say a dermatologist but dermatologists have a way of just writing a prescription and when you are out of the medicine you have to see the doctor again. There are many reasons for Acne and many solutions. I have been in conference with many young women and men as well as those with parents who are concerned.

I saw a post with regards to cost. I would invite those of you with cost restrictions to ponder this thought.... You buy what you believe are inexpensive, products. The ingredients in the products are mass made mass marketed and not professional grade, using ingredients containing mineral oil or lanolin. These products, including many facial soaps cause a coating on your skin, this coating can irritate the skin and cause all sorts of problems. After that you are off to the dermatologist, paying for a doctors visit and subsequent prescription to clear up the irritation and ....WOW...
eusa_wall.gif
you are looking at well over $100.00 just for being cheap.....

Sorry if this insults anyone, that is not my intention. I don't want to sound like I am somebody's Mom..but as a Mom to four girls and an aesthetician..this is the best advice I can offer.

Dermalogica is my vote.....second is PCA and this line is to be used in communion with a professional!

I switched to Murad after using Proactiv. I used it for about two years, but it quit working for me after the first year. Murad works really well for me, and the moisturizer doesn't leave my skin super oily like the Proactiv's.

clean & clear continuous control worked for me after I stopped using proactiv

the only time I break out now is when it's that "un-special time" of the month.

the more you do to your skin the more your going to breakout.

I think if you just use a acne face wash you might see a huge difference.

I think that's just enough acne med. Also after you wash your face use a calming moisturizer (try the aveeno brand) and only do spot treatments for major pimples.

I have had a continued acne problem for a looong time and the only thing that had truly and continually worked for me...

Clinique's Acne Solution - it's awesome and does not dry me out!!

Hope you are able to find something that works for you
smile.gif

= hmm.. proactive actually doesn't work with my skin. it gives me more breakouts than i had before.

Originally Posted by ANGEL BRANT /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi Everyone,,,,great discussion.....
I think one of the first things you should look at is what is causing your breakouts or acne and treat that as well as the end result, which unfortunately is acne.

I have a lot of acne clients who have used Proactive. When they switch, they only buy one product say a cleanser. Proactive is a "system of skin care". If you are just going to pick up and stop using it, than plan to use a system from another line. My advice is either PCA or Dermalogica. Dermalogica is very comprehensive. These can also be purchased in trial size packages which amount to about 6 weeks of use. After that period, I have suggested clients return to my office for further professional treatment such as a Deep Cleansing facial.

--snip--

Sorry if this insults anyone, that is not my intention. I don't want to sound like I am somebody's Mom..but as a Mom to four girls and an aesthetician..this is the best advice I can offer.

Dermalogica is my vote.....second is PCA and this line is to be used in communion with a professional!

Hi Angel,
Welcome to MUT. It's good to see another esty as well as a Dermalogica fan on board.

Thanks for the great post.

Back