• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I will NEVER swap again! Any suggestions on what I can do??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swaplifters are sick people. I mean... come on? - it's used make-up people! NOT GOLD! Some established swappers can always turn bad as well. I swapped with a gal one time (being a noob I figured 400+ tokens was a safe bet) and got ripped off harsh... a few weeks later people were coming out of the woodwork left, right and center. Her name was 'Sherlyntan' or something and she scammed a crap load of stuff! Approx 30 members who all thought is was a 'safe bet'. Don't let tokens fool you - they can always turn bad. Moral of the story: Swapping isn't a sure thing and you are taking a risk no matter who with. It's the honor system - I'll send mine, you send yours - hopefully it works out. BUT the good thing is... it's only make-up! I am sorry that happened to you - and especially on your first go around!
frown.gif

Go on girl.It so sad but I think life goes on and you can trust a lot of person whose willing to trade there item for a cause

Originally Posted by amanda1210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is about jymware015 from MakeupAlley.com I sent her two eyeshadows for a swap, and she NEVER sent me my product while she got hers over two weeks ago! Now she is not even a user and I am very upset especially since that was my first swap ever, and I am NEVER EVER SWAPPING AGAIN because of this! She at first wanted EVERYTHING on my swap list (3 mac eyeshdaows, and 2 ulta shadows) for one mac blush and an eyeshadow, and I thought that was asking for a little much especially since she wanted me to send out the items first, and THEN she would send them out AFTER she received my end because she "had people not sending items to her" in swaps before. So I seattled on two eyeshadows for a blush (which she got her shadows in 3 days!). And then the other girl I swapped with "forgot" to send me the gift card that she owed me in a swap and I'm still awaiting that a week later! I am very upset and have no idea what to do.
Oh goodness!!! That would really piss me off!!!
devilish.gif
I can't imagine how helpless you must feel since they closed their profile on makeupalley. Have you tried writing the admins at makeupalley.com regarding the situation? I don't know if there is anything they can do but it's worth a shot. She might be a member of another makeup site under the same user name (I do that, too many logins to have to remember different names). ARGH!!!! How frustrating!!!

disgraceful. i guess they have too many swaps to deal with!

I don't like swapping. I prefer buying from a reputable source, whether it be a MUT member I've known a while, ebay (where there is buyer protection) or another website.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience

Yeah it sucks but you have to be careful and you have to know what you are doing
smile.gif
Always swap with vets first, they will never be any trouble. But if you are new, and you swap with someone new, prepare to be swaplifted

Ugh. I don't personally swap but I am always blown away at the horrible people out there. I'm sorry this happened to you. Sounds like the advice of the veteran swappers is good though.

So sorry you got scammed. I want then I buy. If I don't like I just move on and keep buying until I have what I want. I never even considered this type of swapping until I ran into this thread. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Originally Posted by amanda1210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is about jymware015 from MakeupAlley.com I sent her two eyeshadows for a swap, and she NEVER sent me my product while she got hers over two weeks ago! Now she is not even a user and I am very upset especially since that was my first swap ever, and I am NEVER EVER SWAPPING AGAIN because of this! She at first wanted EVERYTHING on my swap list (3 mac eyeshdaows, and 2 ulta shadows) for one mac blush and an eyeshadow, and I thought that was asking for a little much especially since she wanted me to send out the items first, and THEN she would send them out AFTER she received my end because she "had people not sending items to her" in swaps before. So I seattled on two eyeshadows for a blush (which she got her shadows in 3 days!). And then the other girl I swapped with "forgot" to send me the gift card that she owed me in a swap and I'm still awaiting that a week later! I am very upset and have no idea what to do. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. The thing is, when you are new, most will not swap unless you send first. The only way to really protect yourself is to make sure these people have a lot of good feedback. Always use d/c to protect both of you, too. You can report them and post their addresses to the do not swap list. While you may never get your end from her, you can help make sure no one else will be ripped off by her.
God bless.

Aw, you shouldn't let a few bad experiences jade you on the whole swapping thing. I was swaplifted so many times when I first started but I just got more strict about who swapped with I've had alot of really successful and enjoyable swaps. =) You just have to be careful.

Guys, this thread is originally from 2008. I wonder what happened in the end.

Originally Posted by Arielle123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes I know the swaplifters are generally those with less than 200 tokens I'm just saying that we're not all noobs and we're not all swaplifters and we should be given a chance
smile.gif
After all, how else are we supposed to get up to 200 tokens? So by what you're saying then newbies should be given a chance if sending first to an experienced user right? And yes I know that ebay doesn't mean anything really. But that's a whole different issue.
I really didn't want to make an issue out of this. I just don't like being grouped with all of the bad newbies.

And I am truely sorry to hear whenever somebody gets swaplifted. It's a horrible thing! You should file fraud reports at least with the usps, and I'm sure there are a few other agencies out there. Probably won't amount to anything but good to report.

im totally with you because i havent swapped before and would like to but!

Tokens are awarded on MakeupAlley. It is feeback, just like on eBay where you end up with a % of positive tokens. After the swap is completed you award a positive, negative, or neutral. People usually award both Negative and a Neutral at the same time. The neutral does not additionally lower the feedback score, but it allows you to type out an explanation of why you left the Negative. Negative tokens only allow for a selection of pre-determined responses, such as "general negative experience" or "swap item never received".

But my question is: Are people so broke that they will steal make up? If people are so empty of money (can you say that in english?), that they could not afford any make up, why don't they just ask for it?

There are plenty of souls out there that are generous and would help them out.

That stinks!!!I swapped a while back on MUA and never had any problems...until one gal with loads of tokens got me! I was so very ticked & deleted my account.

I just opened another account and have had only one problems so far. It's my stupidity though, alot of her tokens state that she is a very slow shipper and you really have to nag her to get your end, but she does eventually send it. I'm bummed because I swapped for some Lush soaps that I wanted to give to a girl for Christmas.

I am being super careful now...checking for tokens & actually reading them.

Just remember - karma will get her, she never forgets and she can be vengeful.

Back