IMATS LA: American Horror Panel

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I am so sad! American Horror Story Asylum is over and while the 3rd series won't air until this fall I feel that it might as well be next year. Yes, I'm impatient!

At IMATS LA the makeup artists Jason Hamer, Mike Mekash, Eryn Krueger Mekash, Christopher Allen Nelson and Christien Tinsley were there to discuss the behind the scenes makeup secrets. The panel was moderated by Joe Nazzaro.
They showed many pictures from the set including one of a guy getting his throat torn out and discussed how pantyhose was used to create the effect. LOTS of Pepper photos and discussion on how the actress shaved her head for the role so they didn't have to make a cowl.

They discussed how many versions of Bloodyface there were before they settled for the final version seen on tv. Bloodyface was based on the iconic horror villain Leatherface but the motive behind Bloodyface was that the skin he wore was that of his victims turned inside out so he could be closer to them.

While the panel did go over the hour allotted time, Joe Nazzaro extended the time giving the MUA more time to talk. Eventually the panel discussion ended and I had the chance to talk to Eryn one-on-one because I HAD to know two very important things I've been DYING to know.

Me: I have to know; how is the White Nun's makeup done?
Eryn: Basically it was standard clown white set with a translucent powder. The black was digitally added.

Me: Ravish Me Red lipstick used on Jessica Lange. Is it a real lipstick? Or was it custom made for the show?
Eryn: We ended up using Femme Noir lipstick by Jessica Hewitt.

Eryn did tell me several other things including that the red they wanted to use was an actual lipstick from that time period however the cosmetic company didn't want to let them use it. She also said that at her wedding she gave her bridesmaids each Femme Noir lipsticks. She considers it the perfect red as it's not too orange and not too blue.

I have more to the interview but those really were the two main parts I wanted to ask plus when I'm excited to see someone I admire my mind goes a mile a minute. Ask Ve Neill about IMATS 2012 and my interview with her or Scott Barnes... with him everything in my head went right out the window because I was star struck. LOL Funny how tv and movie starts doesn't do that for me but certain MUAs are like major celebrities to me. I'm sure had I seen Michael Westmore on Sunday I would have been a hot mess since he's essentially one of my makeup gods. LOL

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eryn did tell me several other things including that the red they wanted to use was an actual lipstick from that time period however the cosmetic company didn't want to let them use it. She also said that at her wedding she gave her bridesmaids each Femme Noir lipsticks. She considers it the perfect red as it's not too orange and not too blue.​
That's a bit sad :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It would've been so cool that they used vintage lipstick! 

If it wasn't being shown on camera being applied, then I can see why the brand didn't want the production to use it. Perhaps there was a rights issue with the brand???

Yet I remember a couple of episodes where Jessica and Sarah (seperate scenes) were applying some lipstick, and it was a great medium close-up and close-up shots of both actors doing it. now that would've been a great opportunity for this vintage tube to be used on camera. It's really too bad, because this tv series was great with it's vintage sets, props, hair, make-up and wardrobe. Kinda like Mad Men.

The lipstick in question is actually still sold but of course not in the packaging from back then. I think they (the company that said no) missed out on a great marketing ploy because that color is still made and sold in the US fans of the show may want to buy it. I know once I found out the name of the color used I've decided to buy it as soon as my budget allows me to. Since they (the company) said no I'm deliberately not mentioning their name or the color, they missed out. LOL

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The lipstick in question is actually still sold but of course not in the packaging from back then. I think they (the company that said no) missed out on a great marketing ploy because that color is still made and sold in the US fans of the show may want to buy it. I know once I found out the name of the color used I've decided to buy it as soon as my budget allows me to. Since they (the company) said no I'm deliberately not mentioning their name or the color, they missed out. LOL
Ya they missed out big time!

LOL No, but I'm of the mindset that some things told are of a personal nature especially since since Eryn was talking about her wedding to me on a one-on-one conversation. I love IMATS because someone like me, who is not a working professional in the tv/movie, can talk to those who are working professionals and get lots of inside info. Last year in the Pegasus trailer I saw photos and was told stories that the general public wouldn't see or hear and some of it was of a personal nature. While these people are kind enough to share their stories and personal info I feel that when that kind of stuff is shared they don't mean to share it with the entire world.

Yeah, I hear ya. I was kidding... Sort of... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But what you said is absolutely true. As I too hear a lot of privy conversations in my chair as well that I can never repeat outside of the trailer. So I got ya. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, i am sure, lol. It's amazing what things they say and talk about. It's like you're not even in the room. I can see why that is part of the reason why so many celebs have personal MUA's that travel with them.

haha.  That's also why one of the biggest tips you''ll hear seasoned veterans say to newbie MUA's is to learn when to keep your mouth shut on set (which is going to be most of the time).  MUA's who can keep quiet end up learning details that you wouldn't normally hear, and if you're trustworthy enough to not let that leak AND do a good job at your makeup? You're a keeper.

Haha true, but there's also that old saying: Wardrobe witches and hair / make-up gossips. More so for hair, as those artists come from the salon world and into the film world. Y'know it's funny when you walk into a H/MU trailer, and on the hair side, they're all Chatty Cathy's, but on the make-up side, it's like zen time for both talent and artist.

Latest posts

Back