Importance of Primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are some other good brands of primer? Do you choose a color to match your skin, like foundation?

I think some primers (face) do work but others just add another coat of gunk to my face, to be honest I haven't found one I really really like.

UDPP is awesome for eyes!

well the primer I have is more like a moisturiser. It's not coloured. I normally add a bit of my regular foundation for a flawless non-madeup look - a kind of dewy, young fresh person look, lol. I have never used primer before but I would totally reccomend it, it looks great on

Do you really need it? NO.

For eye primer, one can dab concealer on and apply loose powder. My makeup artist friends do this all the time.

For face primer, I have used smashbox before and I can say that I can live without it. Normally, one just has to moisturize face and then apply foundation or concealer. Using a primer like smashbox kinda makes skin silky and smooth; however, I still do not think it is necessary.

the only thing is.. concealer can show through powder if you're not careful, especially in photos. Even if the tone seems to match, when you take photos, it can become glaringly obvious.

The plus side of the primer I have is that it's not coloured, and it doesn't show through badly in photos as a result.

Of course you can do without it - when it comes down to it, most people can get away without using a primer, foundation and then a powder.

But, I have to say, having bought it, I do think it was worth the money. I'm not big on buying things that don't seem to have any effect, so Coco, I can see your point and agree that you can get away without using primer, but..

I really like the napoleon one, and I would say if anything it's simplified my makeup routine, not made it more complex, which is what i was worried about when I bought it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

so primers are really important? I have trouble skin and I worry about putting too much stuff on my skin. I bought a good primer similar to Smashbox (or so it seems) from a Korean cosmetics place called Banila. You recommend eye primer? I have Asian eyes and my problem is the eyeliner always running under my eyes

I never notice much of a difference when I use primers for face.. but for my eyes, definitely UDPP!!!

I hope I don't offend anyone by asking, but I'm curious to know the age (or at least age bracket) of those of you who are pro- facial primer, and the same for those who don't think it's needed, too. I have never used a primer before, and I don't think I needed to when I was younger, but now I'm considering it since makeup (foundation in particular) just doesn't go on or look as good as it used to, and I think primer might be especially beneficial for older skin.

I bought the Smashbox Photo Finish primer and i don't like it at all. It feels greasy on my skin and I prefer applying my foundation on top of just moisturizer instead of this. I won't be using a primer again, not smashbox that's for sure!

Waste of money IMO

I use one by ArtDeco for my eyes and one by Shiseido for my face. I can't live w/out primers, they really help my make-up to stay on.

I heard Giorgio Armani sells a product (Berry blush) that works like a blush primer, it could be interesting *lol*

I'm still not sure about primers... But when I do use them it goes moisturiser, primer, foundation, powder >_<

Have fun!!!

xxx

I am currently using the Lumene primers and I REALLY like them. I also love UDPP, though. And UDPP lasts forever as far as enough product in the tube.

For my eyes, I apply UDPP or Lumene eye primer thinly with a thin layer of MAC Paint on top. For my face, it's moisturizer, primer, foundation, concealer, powder. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i just use primer when i know i'm gonna be out for a long time so my makeup can last longer, also it's cool b.c it creates a layer b/w skin and makeup

That's a very good question. When I turned about 32, things just weren't the same with my skin. I've never used primer and am wondering if I should. I'm even having to search for new cleansers and mosturizers. It's like the drugstore and Avon don't work for me anymore.

face primer for me is not really important. I am in love with cover fx prep fx primer though, but this also can substitue as my moisturizer and i love the result i get with my foundation. I use benefit fy eye eyeshadow primer base. thats is a major one i need because it sallows my ahdow to last for hours and hours. without that my shadow doesnt last at all

I don't use face primer. Eyes primer is important to me because eyeshadows last much longer on lids. For now I'm using Art Deco but I ordered UDPP and can't wait to try it.

i honestly dont care for primers at all. a few of them that i have tried not only broke me out, but i really didnt notice a big difference. especially using the mineral powders, i dont need to use a primer because my face stays matte all day. i always use primer on my eyes so my shadow doesnt crease...but thats about it!!!

I have a Napoleon Perdis primer sample.... I have to try it then.

Actually, after reading the posts, I am giving primer another try. Maybe Napoleon is really that good.... I read from this forum also that Jane Iredale is another great product.

I want to simplify makeup application! Just too much steps now these days.... grrrr... hahaha!

Thanks,

yah primer is a must. especially when you make those awesome e/s creations on ur eyes you dont want it fading away before you walk out the door.. you want to show it off!

Back