Is it bad to be materialistic?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by perlanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's true, but those are people with really whacked out priorities, in my experience giving back feels so much better than buying anything for myself. Correct is right!

personally I like to save my money for something that's really meaningful. then again if i had more money to save i might spend more on fun things
laughing.gif

I don't think it's a serious issue if you want material things, but like others had pointed out just make sure you have the money first and take care of more important things then go out and reward yourself.

I also hate the people who judge others by calling them a gold digger just because they rather have a Chanel purse than a Coach one.

The little city I live in is rather poor, and when I buy things and dress myself up, people are like, "How does she afford THAT purse, clothing like THAT and to get her nails done all the time?"

How?

1). When I really want/need something, I try to save a little bit back at a time.

2). I actually work and don't spend my money on all the drugs that others do in my area.

3). I shop around for the cheapest prices (including online).

4). I cut expenses by learning to do things by myself 80% of the time INCLUDING MY NAILS.

Even when I bought my first car, people were like, "How can you afford to pay for that newer car?!" and the person that asked went as far to explain a very important turning point in their life; "When I was 19, I had a piece of shit for a car... I had to work at (insert strip club name here) as a dancer to buy a nice car and support my family".

Rumors were going around at work that my dad bought me my car and my dad drives a car that's over 20 years older than the car I had and he also has poor credit.

People can be disgusting. Ignoring them is the best option.

I am not interested at all in what other people are using their money on. if new purses every month makes them happy, why not?

I think the only time its bad being materialistic is when your putting other people down for what they dont have, since your so use to having nice things.

Originally Posted by Love,SxE,&Magic /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think the only time its bad being materialistic is when your putting other people down for what they dont have, since your so use to having nice things. Exactly.

Well, I'm partially materialistic - I want to have the best of everything, but then again I don't shop very often, because I enjoy minimalistic lifestyle... and I'd rather spend time with a fulfilled 'materialistic' person, much richer than me, who thinks shopping every week is a normal thing, than with an envious poor one, who is obsessed with the way other people spend their money... you can't choose the family you are born in, so calling someone 'materialistic' just because s/he was born rich - and therefore is used to high standard of living - is unfair...

sometimes it could be bad, but i cannot help myself when i see clothes, bags and makeup. etc etc.

I've been with very materialistic persons before. Although I love spoiling my Sweetie and children, I do it by choice because I can afford to and all the bills are paid off on time always. What I hated about the truly materialistic person I have been with was how selfish, self centered and greedy they were. They spent every cent they earned on things they didn't need and most of the time never looked at a second time once they got it. They rarely offered to pay household expenses, were deeply in debt and expected me to pay off their debts. If I said anything about their exorbitant spending I was flatly told it was none of my business as they earned the money. All this while trying to get me to pay off their debts at that very moment. It's gets old quick and I simply got them distanced.

Originally Posted by AniaMaja /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, I'm partially materialistic - I want to have the best of everything, but then again I don't shop very often, because I enjoy minimalistic lifestyle... and I'd rather spend time with a fulfilled 'materialistic' person, much richer than me, who thinks shopping every week is a normal thing, than with an envious poor one, who is obsessed with the way other people spend their money... you can't choose the family you are born in, so calling someone 'materialistic' just because s/he was born rich - and therefore is used to high standard of living - is unfair... I doubt that I would pick either end of this spectrum. I would not a friend full of envy nor a friend full of themselves. There really isn't anything there that would attract me. Both of them would be too full of their own 'need' to have anything to offer anyone else.

If you like something then by all means that is your opinion and you deserve to treat yourself in life!
smile.gif
People shouldn't judge but it does happen

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif I also hate the people who judge others by calling them a gold digger just because they rather have a Chanel purse than a Coach one. Both of those are way beyond me. xD

Originally Posted by Minka /img/forum/go_quote.gif Even when I bought my first car, people were like, "How can you afford to pay for that newer car?!" and the person that asked went as far to explain a very important turning point in their life; "When I was 19, I had a piece of shit for a car... I had to work at (insert strip club name here) as a dancer to buy a nice car and support my family". I'm not a violent person, but I would wanna smaaack them for being so senseless. :/

I think it depends on how you are viewing it. If you think others aren't as good as you because of what they have, then that's a problem. But if they just bring you enjoyment, then what's the problem? I love to shop, I have tons of designer bags, jewelry, but I'm also a Mom of 4(soon to be 5) and I make sure they have everything that they need. People call me spoiled because of what I have, but that is their problem.

Back