Is It Possible Not to be Racist?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by beaglette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your post brings up some other questions... What is culture? Is culture learned? Is bias based on culture or is it based on the community to which we belong? What is the difference between culture and community?
Warmly,

Brandi

I',m not quite sure what the difference between community and culture is; perhaps community is who we associate with, whereas culture mostly refers to ourselves (language, beliefs, customs, traditions, religion). And I think the bias can be to both, though I think more so culture. Most prejudices are against things that are alien and different to our own beliefs, like I mentioned before, anything that isn't "us". And culture, I think is very much learned. You could be a specific race and no nothing about it. One example I hear about often are people who immigrate from other countries. Their children learn the new culture, and in turn neglect their old one.

Celly,

i think this was an interesting thought provoking thread.

my answer is yes i think someone can try and not be racist.

Originally Posted by kyuubified /img/forum/go_quote.gif Perhaps I am over analyzing it, but it seems the root of all racial tension is the "them vs us" mentality. Whether it be race, gender, age, etc, there will always be some sort of prejudice because they are not on the same "side" as you are. So, in a sense, there will always be people that are racist because, in order for their not to be, there would have to be no culture. And I'm fairly certain no one is willing to give up their culture. To hope that people can be open minded and unbiased is wishful thinking, though hopefully not impossible. Much as I hate to admit it because it shoots my optimistic theory all to hell, I think you make a very good point here

Originally Posted by kyuubified /img/forum/go_quote.gif Perhaps I am over analyzing it, but it seems the root of all racial tension is the "them vs us" mentality. Whether it be race, gender, age, etc, there will always be some sort of prejudice because they are not on the same "side" as you are. So, in a sense, there will always be people that are racist because, in order for their not to be, there would have to be no culture. And I'm fairly certain no one is willing to give up their culture. To hope that people can be open minded and unbiased is wishful thinking, though hopefully not impossible. That's kinda what i was thinking. I'm mexican american but i have to deal with a lot of tension in mexico as well as over here in the us. Mexicans say i'm not really mexican because i was born over here and don't carry all the mexican traditions but over here i'm not american enough just because of the color of my skin.

Like when i used to go the health department, they'd always give me paperwork in spanish and request a translator without even asking if i speak english. This really offends me because they're already stereotyping me without even a second thought. Just because we have tons of illegals in the country and most of them are mexican and don't speak english, it doesn't mean all mexicans don't know a word of english.

I hate it when people call us to get quotes and i speak perfect english and then they come into the office and get surprised when they talk to me. Then they make comments like "your english is so good." and i respond "i know, i was born here." I know they're not being racist but just stereotyping, which many people are guilty off.

I'll see a black guy and assume his black only to hear him speak better spanish than me!! It'll turn out his dominican or colombian. I do know racism is still here bc ive personally felt it but i think racism has just evolved to stereotyping. You can't be racist anymore so people just stereotype all the time.

Adrienne, I guess I feel that to a degree, although not in the same way as you..

my parents are english. I know about english books and magazines, I know about scottish clans and kilts (my grandparents are scottish) and a lot of people used to think that the way I speak (accent on some words) makes me snooty and 'rich' like the English girl stereotype in the movies.

But I was born here in Australia, and when I go back to Brittain, I totally don't fit in there either - I'm way too Australian!

people assume I'm stuck up or rich because of the way I say things - like 'orc-shon' rather than ockshun (auction
biggrin.gif
)

Originally Posted by |<33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif As someone who is thin and always was thin I can say that there is just as much "skinny" prejudice out there. I grew up with a warped sense of body image because my friends (almost all of whom were larger than me) had me brainwashed into thinking I was not only too skinny, but ugly because of it. I had reverse anorexia because of it . . . eating anything and everything in sight, desperately hoping to be "fat" just so I could be accepted.
I had a large woman poke me once and say "You're too skinny, why don't you eat more?" meanwhile I would never dream of poking a big person and saying "You're fat, why don't you eat less?"

There is way too much accepted prejudice against thin people, I hate it. Somehow it's supposed to be ok, we're supposed to be able to "take it" because we're "skinny". Whatever! Ugh it just makes me so mad to even think about! >:|

Bleh, I could go on and on but I dont wanna stray too far off topic :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I totally agree with your point. As a naturally 'thin' person I always have people questioning why I'm so thin and telling me "Your TOO thin" "You must be anorexic" and it bugs the hell outta me! I'm naturally tall and quite thin so when people suggest that the way I look is un-natural that really upsets me. In the past I've been very offended by people saying these things and have been told to 'get over it' like because they're saying I'm too skinny and not too fat i'm supposed to be glad?! Argh!

Originally Posted by magneticheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif I totally agree with your point. As a naturally 'thin' person I always have people questioning why I'm so thin and telling me "Your TOO thin" "You must be anorexic" and it bugs the hell outta me! I'm naturally tall and quite thin so when people suggest that the way I look is un-natural that really upsets me. In the past I've been very offended by people saying these things and have been told to 'get over it' like because they're saying I'm too skinny and not too fat i'm supposed to be glad?! Argh! Oh and don't forget! Apparently we're not "Real Women"
tocktock.gif

Originally Posted by |<33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh and don't forget! Apparently we're not "Real Women"
tocktock.gif
Oh if I had a penny for everytime I heard that phrase! I went in a shop before and there was a big display of clothes for 'Real Women'. They looked good so i started to have a look and saw that they didn't stock anything under a size 14. Does that mean as a size 8 I'm not a 'real woman'? Grr that annoys me so much! Oh and 'Guys don't like skinny girls' I've heard that a lot too
wassatt.gif

On the flip side, I've seen people say some rude things about my bigger friends. More of a snarky not-in-your-face kind of rudeness, a behind-your-back-whispering-and-giggling (but loud enough to be heard mind you) look-at-us-aren't-we-cool-cause-we're-skinny kind of thing. LAME! I hate those types of girls >:|

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I've seen it happen to people too and it's so out of order.

I hate those type of nasty girls. It's like you have to be the 'perfect' size to be seen as human. Anything bigger or smaller and you get ripped to shreds by some people.

oops, i didn't pay attention to the thread title otherwise I wouldn't have kept going off topic :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> There's a thread here for the Skinny/Fat stuff >.<

Originally Posted by |<33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif oops, i didn't pay attention to the thread title otherwise I wouldn't have kept going off topic :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> There's a thread here for the Skinny/Fat stuff >.< Reading this post made me aware I had also taken it off topic with a post I have since deleted. Not sure why, but until this I hadn't realized the thread was specifically about racism, not prejudice in general. Sorry about that - just got here and already stuck my foot in my mouth!
blush.gif

Quote:
Also, a lot of times if people hear my name before they meet me, they tend to assume I'm black (they tell me this later on). I always get people assuming I am Black when they just hear my name.....which my name is French but some don't know & than when they finf I am Mexican American they ask Was your mom with a black man or a french man..WTF?

Quote:
adrienneLike when i used to go the health department, they'd always give me paperwork in spanish and request a translator without even asking if i speak english. This really offends me because they're already stereotyping me without even a second thought. Just because we have tons of illegals in the country and most of them are mexican and don't speak english, it doesn't mean all mexicans don't know a word of english.

When i went to the hospital to be induced into labor with my 1st baby they handed me all types of papers in spanish & stated how well I spoke english.Im sorry but I was in pain & so mad..... I said, "Yes I do speak english well it's a shame you dont" the lady was an asian woman who couldn't speak clear english which i had no problem with but coldn't believe she has the nerve to comment my english & assume I speak spanish (which I don't) I hate that even after my daughter there was this white nurse askin if i felt ok in spanish, Yes I could understand what she was asking but said "what" & she starts speaking in SLOW English as if that will make me better understand I said" I do not speak spanish & talking slow isn't gona make me understand u any better why does everyone in this hospital assume this shit" my BF was like ok baby calm down but i was so exhausted & just had a baby dont mess with me!!
I think EVERYONE has a bit of racism/sterotypical behavior in them whether it be towards black/white brown/yellow rich/poor/ man/woman or young/old it exist EVERYWHERE!!! BUT thats reality we cant really assume we live in a super happy, everyone loves everyone type of world!!!

Originally Posted by beaglette /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have to say that I respectfully disagree with much of what you have said.
Prejudice can go both ways-- white vs. black and black vs. white. (I'm addressing "black" as the minority since that is what your post refers to.) There are a lot of things that black people are afforded that white people simply aren't. One that comes to mind and really irritates me is "United Negro College Fund". If there was a fund set aside *specifically* for and named for white people, Jesse Jackson and the Rainbow Push Colitition along with Al Sharpton would be on every new outlet, marching in Washington screaming "discrimination". But, why is it ok to have an organization for and named for "black people"? Mind you, I don't care what they call it. I just want equality for mankind as a whole. I want the same standard set for everyone, not just one group of individuals.

Secondly, many, many have agreed that affirmative action has done more harm than good when it comes to obtaining an advanced education. By setting a quota for a university to meet in terms of racial ratios, they are allowing those in who don't have the background to succeed, educationally. Therefore, there are many who are flunking out. Now, the problem isn't in the college level-- it starts at the beginning of one's educational journey. Equality in education should be started from the outset, not as an afterthought after many years have passed. If that happened, there'd be no need for affirmative action in education. Everyone would be vying for the same spot and only the cream of the crop would get a spot, black or white or otherwise.

Thirdly, there are many financial aid options open to those who are minorities simply because of the color of their skin. Why should one's skin color be the litmus test for financial aid for education? Shouldn't the *true* litmus test be *need* and everyone given the same access to financial aid?

The last thing I have a MAJOR problem with is those who come from foreign countries to "live the American dream" and are assisted in doing so by our government. Why should a foreigner be allowed to come to the US and obtain grants to start a business based on the mere fact that they are a foreigner and a minority? Why should the government assist those who aren't Americans to live the American dream? Why shouldn't they assist AMERICANS in living the AMERICAN dream? Now, I'm certainly not against others coming to the US to live (My two oldest children are from another country and citizens of that country). What I advocate is equal access to those grants-- and actually, FIRST access to those grants for AMERICANS.

Prejudice doesn't just involve skin color. There's much prejudice against those with disabilities- Deafness, for example. And what about people who are fat? (Yes, fat prejudice is a hobby horse for me!!)

We need a paradigm shift in our thinking. Instead of trying to focus on one group of individuals freedoms, we need to focus on freedoms for ALL groups; equality for ALL groups; applying same standards for ALL groups. If we were to ever succeed in this one area, prejudice would be a thing of the past.

Warmly,

Brandi

NB tho, Reesesilverstar didn't choose black ppl to talk about. I was simply responding in the spirit of the original post.
That said.

Most of your sentiments, I agree with. But those institutions exist NOW because measures to PREVENT it weren't put in place THEN... And like I said, we're reaping the benefits of that...

About flunking out at the college level. Isn't there a selection process based on academic aptitude, community involvement, personal accomplishments etc? Fill me in if I'm in the dark, cuz I should have gone to school for free then, instead of having to submit forms and proofs and recommendations...

Originally Posted by kyuubified /img/forum/go_quote.gif Perhaps I am over analyzing it, but it seems the root of all racial tension is the "them vs us" mentality. Whether it be race, gender, age, etc, there will always be some sort of prejudice because they are not on the same "side" as you are. So, in a sense, there will always be people that are racist because, in order for their not to be, there would have to be no culture. And I'm fairly certain no one is willing to give up their culture. To hope that people can be open minded and unbiased is wishful thinking, though hopefully not impossible. Bravo!

Originally Posted by beaglette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your post brings up some other questions... What is culture? Is culture learned? Is bias based on culture or is it based on the community to which we belong? What is the difference between culture and community?
Warmly,

Brandi

Good question!
I think your community is where you learn your culture. All our paradigms, attitudes and most interests are learned from the ppl we interact with the most. We are simply a reflection of our communities...Whether good or bad.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif NB tho, Reesesilverstar didn't choose black ppl to talk about. I was simply responding in the spirit of the original post. The original post was discussing racism in general. Celly just posted a specific example from another forum to get the thread rolling.
smile.gif

Not long ago I was downtown and across the street there was this angry man kicking over bus benches, trying to pick up and throw newspaper boxes etc. I had no idea if he was just angry or something else. It became worse when he started approaching and menancing people. I called the police because of the escalating nature of things. I told the operator what I witnessed and she said does he appear drunk, on drugs and is he native?

I thought wtf?! I know the police will at some point ask for a description of the man but to assume he must be native ticked me off.

I know in Canada there is racism and stereotypes about native canadians/ aboriginals. Many people think most of them are drug users, alcoholics, welfare users, in gangs, lazy etc.

I have native in my background and it really offends me when I see or hear racism/sterotypes.

MakeupbyMonet, that is so random!

I'm the opposite actually (which I suppose is just as bad) I assume everyone speaks english until proven otherwise. Because, you know, it's impossible that people speak other languages and all, lol!

I dont assume anyone speaks a certain language i just speak to everyone the way i know how to speak & if they dont speak english i appologize i dont get mad or talk slow as if they are mentally challenged i hate when people do that!!!

whistling.gif
yes, that's what I meant - I mean I don't look at someone and think 'ooh, better talk slow for them - they look foreign'

I'm terrible at explaining
tocktock.gif

Back