Is my skin just too bumpy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a male and I'm new to makeup (it's for photography). I've tried applying a primer (Smashbox Photo Finish) with a Mac foundation but I'm not getting the look I want. I don't know if it's the products or if it's just my skin, but I'm having quite the time getting the smooth, matte look I want.

My skin looks sort of like this:

But I want it smooth like this:

I exfoliate my skin and take really good care of it. It's smooth to the touch, but definitely not smooth in looks. It kind of looks like the rocky mountains on my face
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if females just naturally have smoother skin and achieve the smooth/matte look easier than I. Maybe my skin is actually pretty much OK and I should just hang in there and I'll eventually get the hang of it with some experimentation and practice. Maybe?

Edit: removed links, added photo and video

If your skin has scarring, as most of ours does it is a matter of time and care before it smooths out. If it is in fact just bumpy it may be an allergy issue. In the meantime, it's all about getting it covered.

If you are looking for a matte look, make sure you have a matte foundation that is oil free, shimmer free and spf free or else it will shine a bit. Also are you buffing it in? Some people are great using their hands and some people do better with a more buffed look from the flat brushes. It smoothes the product into the skin. Using some finishing powder will help set it and keep it matte. If you are finding that you are shiny throughout the day (which always makes bumps show) then try using blotting papers occasionally and doing an occasional powder touch up.

Keep in mind, for those of us that do manage to cover our flaws properly, it has taken a lot of years and learning to get there. This forum is loaded with tons of information in the skin care department that may help you as well.

I've got a few different kinds of foundations, though I haven't tried all of them yet. Creams, powder, and liquid foundations by Mac and Illamasqua. I'm still in the experimenting process. I just bought a Sigma stippling brush to try that out so I hope that helps.

Maybe it's just that I can't expect to look exactly like I want from the get-go and it involves a lot more practice and experimentation. I'm new as mentioned so I'll keep practicing and see if I can eventually achieve what I want.

In today's advanced state of skin-care technology, nobody should have to suffer from a bumpy skin complexion. There are so many products available to the public.  It's important to match your skin care products with your skin.  The majority of bumps on the skin are caused by blocked pores.  Adopt a daily skin care regimen to minimize bumps on your skin.  Cleansing, toning & moisturizing both morning and night.  Cleansing removes any dirt from within the pores and prevents any new bumps on your skin.  Since cleansing opens up your pores, you need to use a toner to reduce the size of pores and tighten your skin so your moisturizer does not absorb into your skin but stays on top.   Moisturizer will hydrate and smooth your skin.

Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the top layer of your skin, again it is important to match your exfoliation product to your skin type.  Facemask treatments can further clean deep down into pores and can help minimize their size.

Using a face primer creates a barrier between your skin and the makeup you put on it.  This barrier prevents your makeup from clogging your pores, also makes your makeup stay on longer as the primer absorbs the oils that make makeup wear off.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back