Is there a mineral foundation that photographs well?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've only tried a couple brands, & I was wondering if there was one out there that wouldn't make me look like a ghost in pictures. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
smile.gif

well, if you turn out looking like a "ghost" in your pictures, the shade you are using might be too light for your complexion! what brands are you currently using? try getting a sample kit from everyday minerals. its free, you just have to pay like 3 or 4 bucks for shipping. You get to pick three or four different mineral foundation shades so you can try them out to find which color looks best on you. Also, if you have time, you can go to a dept. store or makeup store, like sephora or ulta, and ask them to do color match with mineral makeup and they can find the right color for you.

In my case, now matter what color I use I still come out like a ghost. I think it's the titanium dioxide in mineral makeup. I look less ghostly if

there's no flash or the picture is farther away.

Anything with titanium dioxide in will look whiter in a photo. Pick a mineral foundation without any in it.

^ Is there one without titanium dioxide in it? I'm sure my foundation isn't too light for me. If anything, it's actually a little bit too dark. lol

Thank you yall so very much!!!
smile.gif

Urban Decay Surreal Skin mmu looks great in photos (almost airbrushed). If you're willing to pay the $$$, I'd say it's worth it!
smile.gif

Weird, I wonder why this titanium is different? size?

Here are the ingredients of the Urban Decay Surreal:

Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Mica, CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide)

Originally Posted by allyoop /img/forum/go_quote.gif Weird, I wonder why this titanium is different? size?

Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Mica, CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide)

Maybe the concentration of Titanium Dioxide in UD is lower.I've taken some photos of myself wearing Fyrinnae, Pureluxe and Meow and my face didn't show up "ghostly".

im not positive but i think zinc oxide in mmu can also cause the ghost effect.

anyone else know of a mineral company that has a foundation that doesn't contain titanium dioxide, I'll like to sample and see if that would make a difference in photographs.

Thanks!

I would recommend Milan Minerals. I have brown skin and I have never had issues of chalkiness in pictures no matter what sample color I tried on. It was really amazing. She (Candace) sells samples for $2.00 each.

Originally Posted by allyoop /img/forum/go_quote.gif Weird, I wonder why this titanium is different? size?

Titanium Dioxide is under "May Contain". Which means if it does have Titanium Dioxide, it's probably not that much.
smile.gif

maybe try 1-2 shades darker. i bet it's the flash adding light to your face and if you have any type of glow/glitter on it will also bounce the light. light will wash out a face and that is why most have on darker make up and more color on lids and eyes. if you are looking for professional pics, you have to change your make up. everyday make up will not give you the portfolio you want.

if you are talking about candid pics, then i would say upgrade to better brands with better quality.

wow i just viewed some pics from a friends baby shower and i looked AWFUL. I used Laura Mercier's and it looks so good in person but so PALE in photos.

i see some reccs above. I may try Urban Decay again.

It could be the lighting in the picture. Or perhaps you may need a foundation that has more yellow in it. A warm foundation perhaps. Maybe your foundation is too light.

Try a darker shade of foundation and also use bronzer. Do not use those formulas with a lot of "glow", use those with matte finish. They would reflect less light. And do not use glow powders or finishing powders with glow or satin finish.

i think adding more yellow works, I always thought I had a more Pink look but it made my skin look awful in person and in photos going with a more yellow looks more natural all around.

It depends on your undertones whether adding more pink or yellow works better for you. Sometimes it neutralizes the colour if you have too much of one undertone. For example, if you have some redness in your skin, adding yellow helps to tone it down.

Back