Is there a right way to wash your hair?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still surprised by my own daughters when they tell me how they wash their hair and I cringe as they tell me they use hot water and twist their hair while washing. So this is mainly for them and others who may find some use.

1. Always try to brush or comb your hair before washing your hair. This will help eliminate any loose hairs that will come out while washing your hair and help keep your fingers from tangling as you wash.

2. Don't use too much product! Start with a quarter size amount. You can always rinse and repeat but if you use too much product you may not rinse it all off which can leave your hair looking weighed down or greasy.

3. Use warm water not hot to wash your hair. Hot water will open the cuticles up and fade color out (for those who dye their hair). Use lukewarm or just slightly warmer water for a final rinse after rinsing out conditioner.

4. Never tug, twist, pull, rub together your hair. Wet hair will stretch and break so be gentle.

5. Don't forget to wash your scalp! Use the pads of your fingertips to massage the scalp. Massaging your scalp with shampoo will help get rid of any dirt and oil that's accumulated on the skin but also remove any dead skin and help stimulate blood circulation to the hair bulb.

6. Never use a product where the first three or four ingredients are silicone. I actually came across a post where someone didn't know why her hair was looking flat. I asked her what shampoo she was using then looked up the product that she replied with and saw the first three ingredients were all silicones! No wonder her thin hair was being weighed down.

7. Rinse your hair completely before using a conditioner and when it's time rinse the conditioner make sure you rinse if off completely. My girls tend to leave conditioner in their hair even if it's not a leave-in conditioner.

8. You can use a large wide tooth comb when washing or conditioning your hair but it has to be a wide tooth comb and not a fine tooth comb. If it's tugging, pulling or stretching your hair you probably don't have the right comb for your hair type. If you're not comfortable using a wide tooth comb then don't use it.

9. When drying your hair don't twist, pull, rub together or tug on your hair. Wet hair is stretchy and will break. I find squeezing the towel around my hair works best for my hair then allowing it remain wrapped in a towel for a few minutes to absorb any excess water helps.

10. Wash your hair as often as necessary. Some people wash their hair every two to three days and others on a daily basis. It's up to you how often you want to wash your hair but always use a product meant for your hair type and how often you wash.

Latest posts

Back