Israel bans skinny models from appearing on catwalk

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Knesset, the unicameral legislature of Israel has passed a resolution banning models with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of less than 18.5 from appearing in advertisements and fashion shows.

The new rule also states that the advertising agencies which digitally tamper the pictures to make the models appear thinner will have to explicitly label the images as modified.

The decision has come in the backdrop of increased public uproar in Israel against the use of skinny fashion models in advertisements, which encourages unhealthy eating habits and wrong body images among the contemporary youth.

I just read from Fibre2fashion...

Is this is a proper decision ?

Personally I think women of all sizes, shapes and colors are beautiful and I don't agree with singling out any one group.

I understand why, but I think it just comes off as discriminatory. It's not terribly difficult to have a BMI of 18.5--my teen sister is under that and doesn't look abnormally thin; it's just that women come in all shapes and sizes.

When I think of fashion models, I think of them as decorated clothes hangers--they're meant to display the clothing, not their individual physiques. Isn't a Victoria's Secret model with 10+ extra lbs of boobs just as bad for body image distortion? lol

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gifWhen I think of fashion models, I think of them as decorated clothes hangers--they're meant to display the clothing, not their individual physiques. Isn't a Victoria's Secret model with 10+ extra lbs of boobs just as bad for body image distortion? lol
mhm mhm they are decorated clothes hangers! that's my thought exactly! but I would be against something like companies making models lose weight to the point where they are unhealthy! that I would be against, like if the poor girl starves herself to death(which has happened) is what I'm against...

We call them 'walking hangers' as a slang term in the fashion industry for obvious reasons. Each decade trend has it's measurements that will be the yard stick, and it always fluctuates.

Latest posts

Back