Itchy Eyes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My eyes have been itching like crazy lately. At first I thought it was BE e/s and liners so I stopped using them. Then I thought it was the lavender essential oil that I was adding to my kabuki for wet application so stopped using that as well and just used plain (reverse osmosis) water.

Today I didn't put any makeup on at all...and my eyes have not been itchy.

So I am thinking it must be something in the e/s that is bugging my eyes...but the mineral foundations and blushes don't make my skin itch, so what the heck? They're all made from the same ingedients.
confused.gif

Has anyone else had problems with itchy eyes when using MMU e/s?

What brushes are you using on your eyes & what do you use to sanitize them? If you wore no makeup you didn't use brushes either. I know some of the ID brushes I cannot tolerate, make my face/eyes itchy (as well as some of the foundations)

I had that problem with OM; made my eyes itch and water all day and made me sneeze all day too. As soon as I washed my face that evening, it immediately went away, so I know it was the makeup. Sad, too, because I really liked everything about it except the itching & sneezing!

On a related note, something has been breaking out my skin, and I can't figure out what that is either. I thought it was the BO in the BE I was using; but the EDM samples I'm trying is doing it too. I also thought it might be the BE brushes, but the synthetic one I got from EDM didn't help that. So I'm worried because I don't want to give up MMU! It's not my skincare (Philosophy all the way) because on days I don't use makeup my skin immediately starts to clear. Oh, and the Philosophy foundation I have still breaks out my skin too, because I tried that. Any suggestions?

Lesa, if it's not the brushes causing your problems, it could be zinc oxide in the eyeshadows. I can wear it on my face, but if I put eyeshadows on my eyes the contain it, then I get the itchies (especially if I foil). I've also read of people that can't wear eyeshadows with boron nitride in them.

Originally Posted by lklmail /img/forum/go_quote.gif I had that problem with OM; made my eyes itch and water all day and made me sneeze all day too. As soon as I washed my face that evening, it immediately went away, so I know it was the makeup. Sad, too, because I really liked everything about it except the itching & sneezing!
On a related note, something has been breaking out my skin, and I can't figure out what that is either. I thought it was the BO in the BE I was using; but the EDM samples I'm trying is doing it too. I also thought it might be the BE brushes, but the synthetic one I got from EDM didn't help that. So I'm worried because I don't want to give up MMU! It's not my skincare (Philosophy all the way) because on days I don't use makeup my skin immediately starts to clear. Oh, and the Philosophy foundation I have still breaks out my skin too, because I tried that. Any suggestions?

What EDM formula are you using? I'm wondering if it's a mica sensitivity that's causing it. You might want to look into some samples that are mica free. Fyrinnae and Cory Cosmetics offer some, I believe. There might be others out there too.

sorry your'e having problems with this...I dont wear e/s but I want to.

I think that it could also be the higher amounts of mica in the eyeshadow. There is mica in both my found. and e/s but it only irritated my eyes so i think that it was perhaps the concentration of mica.

^I agree, especially if you only notice it when you are wearing the eye shadows

Thanks for everyone's reply to this. It's actually my allergies that have been causing it. I didn't wear any makeup for 4 days
eek.gif
and after the first day my eyes went *crazy*. They've been itchy, swollen and watery. I ended up taking some Benedryl and that has helped a lot. Unfortunately, it puts me to sleep
frown.gif
but it's the only thing that is working for me right now.

I am sorry to hear your allergies are kicking in, but on a positive note- you won't have to stop your previous skin care and make up regime! IMO in would have sucked more to stop the MMU and natural skin care. Get better soon!

Originally Posted by Heifzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for everyone's reply to this. It's actually my allergies that have been causing it. I didn't wear any makeup for 4 days
eek.gif
and after the first day my eyes went *crazy*. They've been itchy, swollen and watery. I ended up taking some Benedryl and that has helped a lot. Unfortunately, it puts me to sleep
frown.gif
but it's the only thing that is working for me right now. My son's eyes get like this & they scripted him Patanol eye drops. It's been terrible here, windy days just stir it up more so.

Try prescription allergy medicine. I am taking Allegra-D and the stuff is wonderful. I don't get hyper or sleepy and no more bloodshot watery eyes and sneezing.

Originally Posted by oceanmist /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lesa, if it's not the brushes causing your problems, it could be zinc oxide in the eyeshadows. I can wear it on my face, but if I put eyeshadows on my eyes the contain it, then I get the itchies (especially if I foil). I've also read of people that can't wear eyeshadows with boron nitride in them.

What EDM formula are you using? I'm wondering if it's a mica sensitivity that's causing it. You might want to look into some samples that are mica free. Fyrinnae and Cory Cosmetics offer some, I believe. There might be others out there too.

I've tried all 4 formulations. I'm really bummed because I like the coverage I get with MMU. I really want to find something that works for me. Do Fyrinnae and Cory offer free/cheap samples? I might try those. Thanks for the suggestions!
ooops.gif

Originally Posted by Aataszi /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that it could also be the higher amounts of mica in the eyeshadow. There is mica in both my found. and e/s but it only irritated my eyes so i think that it was perhaps the concentration of mica. I have the same problem.

I think it's the mica for me. unfortunately, I love it because of the glow.  BUt I used that glow powder (lots of mica) mixed with my regular foundation, and when I used that as concealer under my eyes, my eyes were burning all day.  

Back