Julep Mystery Box: Jewel Heist

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also can't be arsed to say when something's out of stock. My replacement lip pencil was apparently on back order, and neither the website or the CS rep who entered the order bothered to mention this. I only found this out after a week and a half with no shipping email and an almost half hour long phone call. The gal on the phone was helpful, but in general, I don't think their CS is improving.
I dont think much of their CS I have been having issues with receiving emails from them for over a year and every time I write they say they will fix it and im still waiting.

So, after quite a delay, it looks like I was one of the lucky Jewel Heist Winners - my second package arrived and it was the collection.  I've attached a photo of the box, with the unannounced colors. (Sorry, it's not a great image.) Thanks to everyone who advised me this might be the case -  I never got an e-mail or anything to inform me I was a winner, just the mysterious shipping e-mail.  My main mystery box was the mask noir, mascara, and mustard colored polish.  Like a few other winners (I've heard), the polishes were poorly packed, and one of the bottles was chipped at the corner, but thankfully it was just the glass on the corner of the bottle, and all the polish was intact, so I'm not going to bother complaining, as I think it might be too much hassle to get a replacement.

So, I was lucky and certainly got my money's worth from the mystery box this time, but after hearing about the bad experiences/expired products that others have experienced, I might forego in future.  

WP_20141006_002.jpg

I received my replacement items but it can all be summed up in the email I just sent them:

I received replacement items for the old, expired, rancid skin serum and lip plumper from my mystery box, but - guess what!  They were the same lot numbers, same rancid smell, and the "new" skin serum I got had the label peeling halfway off it and the bottle was scratched!  Congratulations on horrible customer service, Julep! I was even assured by the CS rep that my items would be pulled from new stock. I 
This business practice is ridiculous.  Julep used to be great with the mystery boxes and now it's the last ditch to make money off something before you toss it.  This is absolutely disgusting.

Please don't offer to send me more replacement skin care/cosmetic items. And please don't offer to send me nail polish so old that the bottom label and brush aren't even the same brushes and labels you've been using for almost 2 years.

Please do offer to create value within your organization and revamp your policies on distributing outdated skin care products that could be rancid. Since I am part of a large makeup discussion forum, this is being heavily discussed and many of us are blogging about it. I'd like to see a positive resolution to this issue, but if there isn't I will be forced to cancel my maven membership and can not and will not be able to recommend Julep in good conscience.

Thank you,
I'll update you all on any response I receive.  I sent it to the maven email and the press email addresses.

I received my replacement items but it can all be summed up in the email I just sent them:

I'll update you all on any response I receive.  I sent it to the maven email and the press email addresses.
Yuk! Please make sure you follow that up with the WA ATG because I'm trying to force Julep to change it's practices however it takes more than one voice to get things done. The ATG can look to see if the Jewel Heist ad was misleading and force Julep to take corrective action.

This is exactly why I didn't even bother emailing them about the nasty serum.  Emailing them about simple things like is painful enough, it's just not worth the hassle to try to convince them something is old/stinky.

I really hope they make it right for you!  Honestly I think they should make it right for everyone who received the serum (with a credit or partial refund or something), but I know that will never happen.  

I think it's very telling that their next mystery box is now supposed to be on theme for it's name.  I'm going to be really curious what beauty products they send in it.  And with the release of their new mascara next month, I wonder if they will try to unload all the old ones this month.

@@Lolo22 but it's important to contact them. Whether or not they do something at least there is a record of a complaint so if the WA ATG or the FTC ever stepped in and investigated they'll be able to see that yes, complaints were made but Julep either did nothing to rectify the situation or attempted to do something. I know complaints seem like, "why bother?" or "I'm not the type of person to complain" but those complaints are critical.

@@Lolo22 but it's important to contact them. Whether or not they do something at least there is a record of a complaint so if the WA ATG or the FTC ever stepped in and investigated they'll be able to see that yes, complaints were made but Julep either did nothing to rectify the situation or attempted to do something. I know complaints seem like, "why bother?" or "I'm not the type of person to complain" but those complaints are critical.
So much this.

So, after quite a delay, it looks like I was one of the lucky Jewel Heist Winners - my second package arrived and it was the collection.  I've attached a photo of the box, with the unannounced colors. (Sorry, it's not a great image.) Thanks to everyone who advised me this might be the case -  I never got an e-mail or anything to inform me I was a winner, just the mysterious shipping e-mail.  My main mystery box was the mask noir, mascara, and mustard colored polish.  Like a few other winners (I've heard), the polishes were poorly packed, and one of the bottles was chipped at the corner, but thankfully it was just the glass on the corner of the bottle, and all the polish was intact, so I'm not going to bother complaining, as I think it might be too much hassle to get a replacement.

So, I was lucky and certainly got my money's worth from the mystery box this time, but after hearing about the bad experiences/expired products that others have experienced, I might forego in future.  

WP_20141006_002.jpg
Congrats!

I heard back from Julep I was offered to pick a birthstone polish  and a beauty product. Seems like they may be trying to make things right. I just wished they came out publicly and apologized but I doubt that will happen.

Ok, I sent an email towards the effort.  I told them I don't want anything (because I really don't) and I just want them to do better.  

They need to pull that serum, it seriously grosses me out every time I think about it and it sounds like it's not just a batch issue, since someone here has purchased several of them.  I also think they need to create their own images to advertise the mystery boxes (which they usually do, and I'm not sure why they didn't this time).  That ad with all the glitter polishes was deceptive no mater how you look at it.

Hopefully I at least get a thoughtful response.

My Maven box had 2 polish extras (since I ordered 3 add-ons) and an extra of 5 mini foil packets of the luxe face serum- which is extremely well reviewed.  It smells a bit off.  I don't know if it's rancid or just odd smelling, and I feel I can't complain as it was an extra...

I sent Julep an email about the serum and the lipgloss. I told them how disappointed I was in this mystery box and that it's not ok to use mystery boxes as a dumping ground for products that may be old, expired, discontinued or otherwise unusable.

This is the reply I got:

Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize for any frustration this may have caused. It is not our intention to send old and expired products to our customers and we are very sorry that this has happened. We hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible. When you get a chance, please take a look at the Julep website and select any two items that are each under $20 that I can send to you as soon as possible.
While I'm happy with the resolution, I'm still annoyed I was sent old product in the first place. I will definitely think twice before I purchase another mystery box from Julep.

I sent Julep an email about the serum and the lipgloss. I told them how disappointed I was in this mystery box and that it's not ok to use mystery boxes as a dumping ground for products that may be old, expired, discontinued or otherwise unusable.

This is the reply I got:

While I'm happy with the resolution, I'm still annoyed I was sent old product in the first place. I will definitely think twice before I purchase another mystery box from Julep.
That's awesome!  I got Jules, which is fine because now I have enough to get a free box, so overall I am happy.  But, they still say the serum is not expired.  They won't admit it, even though we all know something is wrong with it, the smell is awful!  I trashed it. 

I received a response today and was offered a lip gloss of my choice (the new ones) and a replacement serum.  They assure me that nothing I received is expired.  I'm not interested in having either so I will pass but at least they know I feel about it.  

They did not address having the birthstone/glitter polishes in the product photo for the mystery box and just said 'it's a mystery, nothing is guaranteed', blah blah blah. 

Here's the response I received.  I'm happy with this resolution, for the most part.  I just wish it hadn't been an issue to begin with.  I was so stoked to try the serum!

Shelly Neighbors (Julep)

Oct 10 06:55 AM

Hi ---,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. My name is Shelly, I'm a manager on the Customer Service team. We are so sorry to hear of this experience, I will forward this to our Product Development team to look into further. It's my understanding the original product came from the Jewel Heist Mystery box order. I have refunded this order, and also added a prepaid box to your account so your next monthly Maven box is on us!

Again, we are sorry for this experience. Please do not hesitate to follow up with me if there is anything else I can help with. Until then, we hope you have a nice day, ---!

Your Julep Beauty Advisor

I'm very pleased that the folks at Julep ARE taking the complaints seriously now HOWEVER this never should have been an issue in the first place had the box been as advertised. The other issue I have, which has yet to be addressed and maybe I do expect more from companies owning up to things, is that they never made a public apology or contacted those who bought a Jewel Heist Mystery Box and instead have waited for people to contact them about it. They should take a page from their own book in regards to the October Ultimate Upgrade delays - contact everyone who purchased a Jewel Heist box, apologize and offer some sort of compensation that is the same. With the delays to the October Ultimate Upgrade boxes, Julep is offering to expedite the boxes AND gave everyone who purchased the UUBs a free UUB for November.

I'm very pleased that the folks at Julep ARE taking the complaints seriously now HOWEVER this never should have been an issue in the first place had the box been as advertised. The other issue I have, which has yet to be addressed and maybe I do expect more from companies owning up to things, is that they never made a public apology or contacted those who bought a Jewel Heist Mystery Box and instead have waited for people to contact them about it. They should take a page from their own book in regards to the October Ultimate Upgrade delays - contact everyone who purchased a Jewel Heist box, apologize and offer some sort of compensation that is the same. With the delays to the October Ultimate Upgrade boxes, Julep is offering to expedite the boxes AND gave everyone who purchased the UUBs a free UUB for November.
That's how I feel as well. The rep that i was emailing w flat out said that it was not old. I then asked about the batch #. She made some excuse. She said she would find out the manufactor date when she could and let me know (since I said I wanted to know after she said it wasn't). Of course still haven't heard back and I doubt I will. I feel like they still don't think anything was wrong w what they did. I feel like they just think everyone is trying to get extra things for free when it's not even about that. It's about them owning up to what they did.

Nope. It depends on the rep. I submitted a second ticket and got stuck with the same incompetent CS rep who keeps insisting that it's me and the product is unscented and not rancid.

ETA: I finally asked to have my ticket escalated to a supervisor as I don't feel that my concerns over expired product are being taken seriously, and that this particular rep is borderline condescending. At this point, I really don't care about compensation for the bad product, but the lack of professional customer service is borderline appalling and that's something that should be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. It depends on the rep. I submitted a second ticket and got stuck with the same incompetent CS rep who keeps insisting that it's me and the product is unscented and not rancid.

ETA: I finally asked to have my ticket escalated to a supervisor as I don't feel that my concerns over expired product are being taken seriously, and that this particular rep is borderline condescending. At this point, I really don't care about compensation for the bad product, but the lack of professional customer service is borderline appalling and that's something that should be addressed.
Shame them about it on Facebook. Also please don't back down when it comes to filing a BBB complaints as well as a ATG complaint.

Also, is it me or did Julep delete all of their FB posts regarding this mystery box?
I'm still seeing posts in their Mystery Box pics (both Jewel Heist and Trick or Treat) but think you're right - they hide the negative posts. I think the negative posts are hidden not deleted but I haven't gone to really look.

Back