June 3, 2014: Do you apply face makeup after you do eye makeup, or before?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go from the center, outwards. It just feels easier that way. I like getting the most complex things done first.

I used to do foundation first but now I do primers, foundation, eyes, concealer/under eye highlight, powder/contour/blush lips then setting spray.

Always do your face first. Think of it as drawing a picture. You want to fill the background first, then pay attention to the details within the frame. 

I didn't even know there was an option... who knew?!?

I always start with just a drop of unscented moisturizer (it really helps makeup go on so much smoother with my skin), then my foundation (whether it's creme, liquid or powder... if I do any contouring it happens here, as well), and then I do my eyes.  Before doing my eyes, however, I put a couple of layers of loose powder directly below them in the tear trough.  I usually use Ben Nye highlighter (pink powder) for this.  It catches any eyeshadow that falls down from the eyes, and when you're through with your eye you just dust it off with a fan brush.  Not only does it keep the undereye area clean, but it also brightens the area under the eyes.  It makes a big difference letting it sit there and "bake" while you do your eye makeup.  After that it's just blush and lipstick.  Often I will apply loose powder over my entire face once I'm through to help set everything one last time, and then I'll apply mascara if I even bother to wear it.

I do eyes first, then face unless I'm using a BB cream or tinted moisturizer. After bb cream or tinted moisturizer, I do my eyes and then finish my face with blush and powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foundation then eyes. I don't wear eyeshadow unless it's a special occasion. My everyday makeup is mineral powder foundation and mascara. I have always felt like when applying makeup you need to start from the base. Then move out so that is why I do my base first ( foundation) then build from their.

Hi greendaisy, I have been a makeup artist for nearly 20 years and I can assure you that you will get a much better result if you apply foundation with a brush or latex sponge over your entire face before you do your eye makeup. Try and be light handed with the foundation over your eye lids and eyebrows, and always start applying your foundation at the centre of your face and blend out. This way you will avoid getting a build up in your hairline. Then seal the makeup with translucent powder, and brush off any excess with a large soft brush. Now you are ready to do your eye makeup! remember to blend any eye shadow really well, and use the correct brush to achieve the best result. Hope that's been helpful! 

I used to always do my face first, then my eyes. But now that I've learned more makeup techniques, especially for the eyes, I do my eyes first. I don't get much fallout unless I'm using pigments or glitter, so that's not the main reason for why I do eyes first. I do the eyes first because without foundation on, you can really clean the edges up and have more clean lines using a q-tip and makeup remover.

Also, when I'm doing a quick routine, especially in the morning, I do the face first because the most that I will do with eyes is a little liner and mascara and that doesn't necessitate doing eyes first for me.

I always prefer applying my face makeup before my eye makeup. In my opinion, it is much easier to apply your foundation first then your eyeliner and eyeshadows; this way you don't have to re-touch your eye makeup after applying your face makeup since most of it will be gone while you're applying your foundation. Also, I leave the eye makeup for last, that usually saves a lot of time. However, if you think some of your excess eye makeup will be falling under your eyes while applying your eye makeup, simply tap off the excess before you apply and that should take of the problem. Hope this helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Foundation first, then eyes, and I use a fan brush to clean up any fallout.  Then I do my blush and highlighter/contouring/whatever.  

Face makeup before ALWAYS. I don't understand how you couldn't do it this way? Mainly, the reason being that the foundation is almost like a base for under the eyeshadow. Good question!

I used to do face first, but then I'd always make a mistake on my eyes or have fallout that I had to wipe off, and then I'd have to touch up the face. Recently I've tried doing most of my eyes first and that seems to work well for me.

-Eye primer

-Eye shadow

-Face

-Eye liner

-Brow

-Mascara

-Lip

If I'm trying something new with my eye liner I'll probably do that before the rest of my face as well.

I generally do my eyes first. Once in a while I mess up so it helps if I can wipe away my mistakes without ruining my foundation.

I have done it both ways, and honestly, both work about the same for me. If I use dark shadows, I'm careful to hold a tissue under my eye, so fallout isn't really an issue. I like for my under-eye concealer to go all the way up into my lashes, rather than risk forgetting to blend it with my eyeshadow, and have an awkward line! Plus it acts as extra primer. =p

I like to do my foundation first and i then go onto the eyes. then the rest of the face. This means that the foundation give the eye a nice base and means i can touch up if need to.

I do my face first then my eyes. I start with moisturizer or primer then foundation, powder, blush, then eyes. Lips are always last.

Back