Juniper (Another "time of the month" box)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(but I also cloth diaper my kids, and I'm a full time nursing student, certainly not a housewife, and I found cloth to be substantially more convenient than disposables, so maybe our minds are on different tracks, lol)
yousoldtheworld and BrittneyMarie thx for your review I guess XD also I've always thought I will do this if/when I have kids, I think disposable diapers are just so contaminating! My mom was a working mom and so was my bf's mom, they didn't have/ couldn't afford disposable diapers when we were growing up, if they could do I can! XD

I've tried the diva cup and I just don't like it. It burned me and was really uncomfortable. I was so excited to have something cheaper than tampons. And clean up was such a pain (my sink is not in the same room as my toilet so I'd have to go out of the room). I wish it worked for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> tampons forever for me I guess lol

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tampons absorb and alter the PH /the environment of the vagina.

Cups don't absorb, they just collect.

There have been no cases of TSS associated with menstrual cup use.

I use mine exclusively and I'm far from a housewife, I don't find it difficult at all and it;s worth a small amount of inconvenience (I carry a small pack of homemade wipes to clean it when needed) to help my pocketbook and the environment.
Hahahaha, yeaaahhhh I enjoy when my vagina's environment is altered... preferably everyday :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> sadly boyfriend and I live across a bridge and some freeway from each other wahhhh!

I was told that TSS outbreak really happened in the 80's when  then there was that one brand that like made the super tampon that was supposed to last an entire cycle... Since then its gotten a lot stricter, and TSS comes from misuse, which can't exactly be blamed on the product itself. you could probably kill somebody with enough tampons, doesn't make it a murder weapon :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

But then again people say you cant leave tampons in overnight, don't know what kind of bs that is... uhm yeah, like i'm setting an alarm to change that shizz. not.

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TSS is more common with tampons because of bacteria growth in the synthetic materials. Menstrual cups are made from medical grade silicone, and there aren't any porus surfaces for the bacteria to grow in. A lot of people boil their cups between cycles, too.

(but I also cloth diaper my kids, and I'm a full time nursing student, certainly not a housewife, and I found cloth to be substantially more convenient than disposables, so maybe our minds are on different tracks, lol)

Editing to add that TSS is far from eradicated. It happens all the time, despite increased awareness and education
I think saying TSS happens all the time is a bit of an overstatement. Wh

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the diva cup and I just don't like it. It burned me and was really uncomfortable. I was so excited to have something cheaper than tampons. And clean up was such a pain (my sink is not in the same room as my toilet so I'd have to go out of the room).

I wish it worked for me
frown.gif
tampons forever for me I guess lol
Exactly. so simple. I never even used pads when I was a young, it was straight to tampons. My mom really hated pads I guess.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread to make it a thread about cups, but I'm glad to hear people talking about it. I have read that for women in the third world where sanitary products at the drug store is not an option, the cups are a life changer.

Regarding the comfort, I saw some kind of review of the different cups and decided to go with the lady cup because it was considered the softest material. I think the diva cup was the hardest, (and therefore possibly the least comfortable). If you tried one cup but didn't like it, maybe try a softer one. The problem with the lady cup is that you can only order them from Europe, which I did and had no problem at all, just paid with paypal. They usually have one color on sale each month. I just went with the sale one. Oh, also the sizing is weird. I think they did it by age which might assume if you are over a certain age, you probably had at least one kid. At 42, I ordered the large and even though I jumped around and poked at it, I couldn't get the thing to open (kind of like an upside down parachute).I thought I was doing it wrong!  I reordered the small, and have have no problems with it.

Now, what I'd like to see is a period subscription occasionally include a cup with the other more common items, that would be something worth trying. I think cups run around $20-$30 each. I'm not sure how long you should go before you throw it away and get a new one. I'd have mine for a couple of years, I think over time they loose some of their elasticity and should be replaced.

I think Blissmo box had a "Women's Natural" box that had a cup in it a few months ago.  I've been trying to remember where I put it, since I have a Mirena I only spot occasionally rather than have a normal flow.  My daughter would probably use it rather than have to keep buying supplies.

I was able to get a Juniper box free to try... And I'm definitely agreeing that it's not worth the $28/mo.  Now, like PaulaG, I have a Mirena (liiiiiiifesaver!!!) and I haven't had a period (not even spotting) for over 4 years, since I got pregnant with my younger son.  I had it put in at my 6 week post-baby checkup, and haven't had to think about it since!  With running after 2 kids I love that I never have to worry about taking a pill on time, remembering (through the mommy fog) what day of the week I'm supposed to change a ring or a patch, or trying to get enough free time to go to the bathroom by myself to empty/wash a cup (although kudos to you ladies that use it for helping the environment!).  I'm not the most organized person by any means, so for me having something that I don't have to think about for YEARS is amazing.  Also, I had HORRIBLE mood swings on the pill.  So having no cramping/bloating/mood swings/worrying about anything leaking/worrying about getting pregnant once a month is pretty darn perfect.

I know, I sound like a commercial.  It's not for everyone.  But it's great for me.

I am donating the tampons/pads/pantyliners I received to my church.  We always keep some in the ladies' restroom, and since they take them out of the original packaging to put them in a little basket anyway, then it's no big deal that they're not in the box.  However, I understand that it's an issue for many of you.  

I did want to say that the snacks/tea they send are AWESOME, but for $28/month they better be!  I would definitely choose My Cotton Bunny over Juniper, if I had to choose something.  

I just got the March Juniper box and I loved it!

$28 is a lot for a box and I don't think I'll keep it unless there happens to be a livingsocial/groupon/dailycandy/whatever deal since I'm usually pretty stocked on tampons because of coupons or sales. I really would like to justify keeping this box since the CS is great, the box arrived packed full of stuff I'll use, the treats are unique and there were plenty, and it came so nicely and thoughtfully packaged. If I were to justify paying for it every month- I guess shipping is included in the price and it probably takes about $8 to ship from CA (where they ship from) to FL (where I am) via USPS Priority, and I'd value the tampons/pads/midol included probably at about $8 - $10 and the treats at around around $8. This box isn't going to give you more for your money, but I guess I'd get my money's worth if I'd subscribed.

Onto the pictures!

The theme for March was based around women owned companies - all the treats came from companies that were started and operated by women just like Juniper!

- Sea and Cane Cabernet Sauvignon Caramels

- Sante Sweet and Spicy Pecans

- J&M Cheddar Twists

- BT McElrath Salty Dog Chocolates (Dark Chocolate, Toffee bits, and Sea Salt)

- Teatulia Teas - Peppermint, Lemongrass, and Ginger

- Anna's honey sticks - clover, peach, and apple

My fiance already opened the pecans  - they are delicious and we are getting more!

I got 20 Pearl Tampons in light, regular, and super. I got overnight, regular, and panty liner pads and two packs of midol.

Everything was individually wrapped and boxed or placed in nice little bags.

Overall, a really great box that came beautifully packaged! I liked this box a lot more than some of my beauty boxes and the treats look way better than my graze boxes!

I got the March box as well.  I used a promo code to get it free.  

It's a nice box, and the treats are delicious.  $28 does seem expensive, but I'm thinking about keeping it.  

I've been planning on switching to organic products.  They'd be about $8-10 a box singly or $4-5 a box if I buy them in bulk from Amazon, but I'd have to purchase 12 boxes at a time of each size.  Juniper would be much more convenient.

I'm don't know if it's true of every month's box, but the treats in the March Juniper box were all made by companies started by women.  

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It seems like the Red Carpet Box for periods

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just saw this on Juniper's Facebook wall. This one is a review of the Kotex pads/tampons from Juniper. Like My Subscription Addiction, The Fashion Bug in Florida's products are also repackaged.

Now compare the tampons sent from Juniper to the ones sent from My Cotton Bunny. The U by Kotex tampons sent to me from MCB are in their original packaging while the ones sent to FBIF are in a different box not the manufacture's original box. I've bought U by Kotex pads before and the box is similar to the tampons and the samples like the ones from Always are in the same wrapping but in a sealed in a clear plastic for protection.

​
Personally, if I had to choose between the two I'd get My Cotton Bunny (they just need to have more variety of absorbancy) which is only $13.75 per month versus $28 for Juniper.

Another thing I noticed, the exterior packaging. MCB has a fantastic shipping box and while that really doesn't play a huge factor in things packaging does play an important part to perceptions. The Juniper shipping box is a plain white box possibly from ULine while MCB has a custom box making it look more professional. To me, MCB seems like they're here to stay while Juniper comes off as a temporary one. Again, my perception based on the fact they repackage the tampons and pads. I don't believe for one moment that Kotex or Always or Tampax or Playtex would repackage their products in a gold box just for Juniper. These companies put in millions into their own package designs so why would they put their stuff in a generic box for subscribers of Juniper? Nope, to me they're repackagers.

The RCB for periods ROFL

But in all seriousness, I would not be comfortable with the repackaging aspect either, and that is quite honestly the reason I said no thanks to review on this box. I saw a few reviews and it just kinda freaks me out about someone else handling the stuff, too.

Originally Posted by rockhoundluna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The RCB for periods ROFL

But in all seriousness, I would not be comfortable with the repackaging aspect either, and that is quite honestly the reason I said no thanks to review on this box. I saw a few reviews and it just kinda freaks me out about someone else handling the stuff, too.
I thought it was odd that my tampons were repackaged but they were individually wrapped so I don't think that there is a hygienic/safety issue. I think that they may be repackaged because juniper tries to tailor to individual monthly needs (there is a survey and then a follow up email asking what you need every month) - some women don't need that many super tampons, some need more light tampons, etc. So they probably buy in bulk and then package the tampons/pads according to what each woman needs. There was one period box that sent out panty liners that were unwrapped, I would totally be uncomfortable using those. But I don't see a problem with the ones juniper sends out. To me, it's just like some of the stuff that birchbox sends out - Eyeko eyeliner that didn't come sealed or in a box, mox lip balm that wasn't sealed, really any eye makeup or lip product that doesn't come safety sealed or in a retail box. Those items go on my lips and near my eye and I happily use those items every month. 

I actually liked the repackaging it added a nice surprise to it vs opening a new box of tampons. I liked how they emailed me before shipping it out to tell me what they were including and asked if I had any changes to make.

But at $28 a month, no thanks. I can't remember the last time I paid more than a $1 a box of tampons or even anything for pads!

Repackaged pads and tampons is odd to me. My mom wouldn't let me even use mailed sample ones years ago. I like opening a package for myself. It's something I have to do everything has to new unopened. Ocd

To each their own, I guess, because I really like Juniper. Their CS is amazing, they got me very specific products I couldn't find at my local stores. And their gourmet treats remind me of Love With Food :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've tried/reviewed all 5 time of the month boxes and Juniper and My Cotton Bunny are def the best. You can always try Juniper for free the first month but you really do feel super spoiled with all the treats. I do like MCB's protection still in its box though- Juniper focuses on treats while MCB is more of a themed box. Very different. Actually all 5 are very different- it really is a "to each her own" kind of situation.

Back