Keratosis Pilaris aka chicken skin (upper arm)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone here have keratosis pilaris? It looks like a rash and commonly appears on the back of your upper arms... (or apparently you can get it on your upper thigh as well). It does no harm.. no itch or anything but looks bad.

I know there is no real cure for it but was wondering if anyone managed to control it or improve their condition using any cream or tips.

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

attached is a pic of KP found on the net.

im not sure what it is. i can guess from the picture that it is small bumps that doesnt hurt or anything somekind like blackheads?

i have them once but they're gone now. my doctor told me to use retin-a on them i do so daily and it's gone now! and to exfoliate them often.

but if it's a large area, better not use retin-a on them
smile.gif
hth

Yeah Keratosis pilaris occurs due to formation of dead skin cells in the hair follicles on some parts of the body. It is a harmless skin order, which resembles small, acne-lie bumps. Home remedies for keratosis pilaris are....

*Moisture is very helpful in treating keratosis pilaris, especially during winter months.
*Cleanse daily with a moisturizing cleanser. Gently exfoliate using a loofah, washcloth or exfoliating cream.
*Lactic-acid creams can be irritating to the skin. Start using slowly and gradually increase your usage as your tolerance increases.
*The best diet for your skin is one packed full of fruits, vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are great for improving the texture of your skin.
*Avoid any allergens or irritants that might cause your keratosis pilaris to flare up. This can include smoking, perfumes, laundry detergents that are strongly scented, dust mites and mold.
*It may take two to three months to notice significant improvement with home remedies.

My daughter suffered from the same thing last year. The Dr. suggested using Amlactin- cleared up in two weeks! Yea!

Keratosis Pilaris: Solutions for Bumps on the Back of Arms
  Bye-bye, Chicken Skin! If you have little red bumps in patches on your upper arms, backside, or thighs that resemble chicken skin and occasionally itch, you probably have a genetic skin disorder called keratosis pilaris. Much like acne, this skin disorder affects 50-80% of adolescents and roughly 40% of adults though no one knows exactly why. Those prone to eczema, asthma, and allergies are more likely to be afflicted with keratosis pilaris. Also, up to 50% of those who struggle with keratosis pilaris have a family history of it.

What’s This Chicken Skin All About? Keratosis pilaris has a few different forms: It can range from pink to red bumps on the cheeks to small red bumps that aren't irritated, to pimple-like bumps that are inflamed and red. Overall, regardless of the type, these bumpy rough spots are clogged pores where skin cells have become hardened inside the pore and inflammation occurs. Regrettably, there is no available cure or universally effective treatment, though it is generally well accepted that unclogging pores and reducing inflammation can make a significant difference.(Source: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1070651-treatment).

The Best Ways to Get Rid of the Bumps Exfoliation to unclog pores is at the top of the list of treatments. Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs, active ingredients would be lactic or glycolic acid) can help exfoliate skin cells, but these only work on the surface. AHAs can't get inside the pore to dislodge the plug of skin and sebum.

To get to the root of the problem you need a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) product with the active ingredient salicylic acid and a pH low enough for exfoliation to occur. One other interesting aspect of BHA is that it has antimicrobial properties so it kills the bacteria that may be making matters worse. Plus, because salicylic acid is related to aspirin (aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid) it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Salicylic acid is a brilliant answer to eliminating these red bumps. Paula's Choice Weightless Body Treatment with 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid is an ideal product to eliminate keratosis pilaris. If you find that your keratosis pilaris does not respond well to salicylic acid, you can consider an AHA product that contains glycolic acid. Paula's Choice Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% Alpha Hydroxy Acid is ideal. Keep in mind that ongoing application of such products is required to keep keratosis pilaris under control. If you stop using products that have proven effective, the condition will return.

What Else Works? Because keratosis pilaris is an inflammatory disorder, anything you can do to reduce inflammation is going to help a great deal. Avoiding drying soaps and cleansers is essential, plus the ingredients that put bar cleansers in their bar form can clog pores and make matters worse. It is also critical to not scrub at the skin. You can't scrub away these red bumps and scrubbing skin doesn't get to the problem which isn't on the surface. Rather, it's underneath where scrubs, washcloths, bath puffs, and loofahs can't reach. If anything, scrubbing further inflames skin and the ingredients that keep most body scrubs from being too abrasive clog pores.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/keratosis-pilaris-solutions-for-bumps-on-backs-of-arms.aspx

I have it, and it's improved a lot just from exfoliating with a sugar scrub and then moisturizing w/ oil once a week, and the rest of the week moisturizing twice a day. I used Amlactin for a few weeks but hated the feel of it, so I stopped using it. (Though it may have worked too, who knows)

I think anything with a combination of exfoliation and moisturizing will work.  I have also used a buff puff and follow with coconut oil in the shower.  I also have used baking soda and then almond oil after.  I'm in this lactic acid cream at night.  That has been working for me without a lot of work.  I made my own 12% lactic acid cream.  I've never tried amlactin. 

Back