Keratosis Pilaris?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies if your children have KP, don't worry!!! Just treat it for now by keeping the kids skin well moisturized. As your child gets older, KP slowly gets better. I had it as a child on my thighs and the back of my arms. Now I have nothing. I do shower with a loofah sponge and use a good moisturizing body wash.

Its usually goes away with age, but not always. I had it as a kid & it went dormant in my late teens, early 20s, but it came back with a vengeance during my pregnancy & now comes & goes in flares. :-(

Ive read that Paulas Choice 2% BHA lotion is supposed to be very good for KP, read the reviews for it on makeupalley...I have a bit of KP on my legs on the side of my knees so Im going to try that and see how it goes..

I was reading my Glamour magazine and they had a little article in it talking about Keratosis Pilaris. They say not to scrub, that it makes things rougher. Instead, dissolve dead skin with a lactic acid or retinol lotion. And they suggest trying Vaseline Intensive Care Healthy Body Complexion Lotion. I'm going to try it.

Alba Botanica's Coconut Milk Cream Body Wash cleared up about 97% of my KP!!! I think it's the caprylic acid from the coconut. It also smells delicious :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I couldn't believe it, it was totally unexpected!

I didn't have it until I got older! And no amount of exfoliating has helped.:sleepyhead: It feels like I never shave the backs of my thighs because it's so bumpy! :scared:

birth control made mine worse, that and being pregnant. the dermatologist prescribed me salex cream which has 6% salicylic acid and retin a micro. it did work, but i haven't bought in in a long time b/c it's expensive. for a small tube of the retin a micro is i think 95.00 and large tube is over 120. i don't have insurance so it's been hard for me to keep up with it. but i just exfoliate often , which helps, but they're still there.

oh, thanks, i'll have to try that too. it would be nice to find something cheap to get rid of it. i have it on my bum too, which i think i hate worse.

I have this on my legs, used to have it on backs of my arms but it *seems* to be fading touch wood.

I moisturise mmy legs with Bio Oil and Palmers Cocoa Butter and it seems to be helping me! I'm certainly not as self concious about it as I used to be.

here's a link to a wikipedia article.

the lactic acid is found in wine and milky products. the more fresh the milk, the less lactic acid it contains, so you'll have to imitate Cleopatra and take baths of fermented milk !! :rotfl:

funny i also read when too much lactic acid is accumulated in your muscles, it can lead to cramps.

if you like reading labels, it also carries the name "E270".

lol as fermented milk makes yuck, in the french version they also suggested pharmacies.

Well, I knew about the lactic acid in milk and also about the lactic acid build up; but I've spent all my life trying to avoid fermented milk, lol!

lol ! well i never touched a bottle in my life until i learned it's apparently the beverage my friends drink when eating a couscous (one made with raisins and brown sugar, not the salted version). i must say just the sight of fermented milk in a glass made me eek.

My brother has kp and one of the things that helped him was sulfur and salicylic acid soap.

My poor lil sis has it, she has been to the derm and everything, and has tried tons of products, however nothing has worked so far...I'm going to keep an eye on this post hopefully someone can suggest something she hasn't tried...

My sister has KP on her arms while I had problems with super scaly ashy elbows (even the thickest butters never worked on them)...I started taking a cocktail of borage oil, evening primrose oil + fish oil supplements and a zinc supplement daily, and drank loads of water (you can substitute fish oil for flax seed oil if you want, they actually provide the same benefits)....and I swear to you my skin has never been this smooth, even the stretchmarks I got from losing weight were fading and looking alot smoother. I got my sis to do the same and it helped reduce her chicken skin problem significantly as well as keep her acne problems under control...I don't think I'll ever stop and I really don't mind, because when I do the scaly elbows come back...oh well, atleast they're natural health supplements and not chemical-y stuff that never work in the long term.

i have kp but i have never done anything for it, but i also have psoriasis. for that i moisturize a ton use a topical steroid and exfoliate. so i shall try that on my kp and let you all know how it owrks out

I also have it. I have found these times to aggravate my kp - when I put too many shirts and/or a jumper on and i feel hot inside my body or when i wrap myself in a blanket when its hot. Thats when it gets really really bad. To temporarily overcoem the problem I use the Dove gentle exfoliating body wash every night.

Really? I have KP myself and lately have been using coconut oil after I shower and it really helped keep my skin soft and moisturized. It also seemed to make the bumps less noticable.

I have tried their coconut milk body cream and loved it! It really helps smooth dry elbows and knees. I'm tempted to try their whole Hawaiian line. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have it too. Gets better as you age. I've been prepping my skin for my wedding. I've been exfoliating pretty aggressively (with an exfoliating washcloth) with a moisturizing body wash (Aveeno). Then moisturizing with body oil right out of the shower. It has improved greatly.

Back