Lets Say Its Your Wedding...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did my own makeup. I wish I would have hired someone to do it for me. I was so stressed out and late to my own wedding!

I think it is really important for the individual to take into account their own tastes and skills.  Personally I have been doing my makeup for a long time and have been known to do many others for their special occasions such as prom.  So I would trust myself more to do it on my own.  Although I may take the opportunity to get a makeup artist try out what they think would be best for inspiration.  Honestly I don't have any problem wearing lots of makeup for a wedding as long as it looks 'clean' as in no random smudges, eyeliner is even and defined.. whatnot-that and perhaps as long as it doesn't make me look like a zombie/pumpkin(thats what halloween is for haha).

I am getting married tomorrow and I will be doing my own makeup. I have never liked the way MUAs do my makeup and that way I can pick exactly the colors I want, placement, etc.

I'd get it done, probably, but I'd get at least one, possibly two trials in advance.

I could do it myself but I want it to look good in the photos, and sometimes my makeup looks nice in the flesh but not good in photographs, or sometimes vice versa, but either way.

I also vote for the 'want to be pampered, would be worried about my nerves' camp
smile.gif

I would have a professional makeup artist do it.  I'm not talented enough to do it myself!

Not to my surprise alot of you guys are saying that you want to take in the 'being papmered' experience, which I can totally understand.. I think when I get married I'm going to be a psycho, control freak when it comes to my Hair & MU though, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to be in control lol.. I don't want to make a MUA or hair stylest suffer trough my maddness lol

And wow! Congrats! I hope you and your Husband-to-be have an awesome day =)  

Originally Posted by KristieTX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am getting married tomorrow and I will be doing my own makeup. I have never liked the way MUAs do my makeup and that way I can pick exactly the colors I want, placement, etc.

I'm veeery particular about my face, and I've been doing my makeup long enough to know what I think looks good on me, and exactly how much makeup is not enough, just right, and too much... I'd DEFINITELY do it myself! Save money AND get what I want, what's not to like about that?

i only applied my makeup at 7am and it lasted until midnight when i fell asleep after my shower =] the only thing i had to retouch through out the day was my lipstick / gloss.

if i can remember, for my face i used monistat chafing gel for the primer & mac stuido fix fluid. no powder even though my photographer said that i should of used some loose translucent powder.

for my eyes, i used Urban Decay Primer Potion and a quad from ulta with the colors Pear, Organza, Amethyst, and gold dust. 

i used mac blacktrack fluidline, rimmel mascara [glam eyes maybe?]. ardell lashes. 

i forgot what else i used. =/ 

when i use maybelline foundation, my face looked washed out in photos. maybe its the brand? 

Originally Posted by katana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow breathless, you looked fantastic! Your makeup skills are exceptional! It looks professionally done!

I would want to let a MUA do my makeup for my wedding, but I would need to have a few test runs first, so I can see what works and what doesn't.

I do agree however with the thought that, personally you yourself knows what looks best and what you feel most comfortable in.

Although if I were having a destination wedding, then not knowing any local artists, I would vote for doing my own makeup.

Breathless, question: Did you have to apply more makeup, or use more vibrant colours to help it show up in your photos and not washed out. I find that when I apply makeup it looks great in person, but all my photos are faded and washed out. I hate how my MU looks in photos. Grrr.

okay, just came back from a wedding ceremony, I spent the morning in a hotel room with the bride and about 10-15 other women. God, it was the most intense experience... makeup, lashes, GHD straighteners, flowers, dresses, shoes - EVERYWHERE, and the air was thick with tension, holy cow I never wanna get married after that! It's not fun! It's awful! I ended up doing make up for the bride's youngest sister and her cousin since i was the only one free, and I'd never even met them before, lol!

I've got to go to the reception tonight, different dress too, lol! at least dressing up is fun!

I am in two minds about it. I could do my own make up, I know I am quite capable and do it nearly every weekend for brides as part of my job, but for my own wedding day I think it would be nice to sit back and let someone else do it for me. I know from working in the industry of several really good make up artists that I wouldn't hesitate to hire if I chose to have someone else do it, but I also know that I am a pain in the arse perfectionist, so I may be a bit bridezilla-ish and want to do it myself lol

I am really pleased with how my makeup turned out. I used: MAC Prep & Prime Skin Revlon Colorstay foundation Revlon Colorstay powder Palladio bronzer in Atlantic (the brown side) to contour my cheeks MAC Springsheen blush Hard Candy Honeymoon blush to highlight (perfect name, huh?) lol Urban Decay Primer Potion MAC Bare Study Paint Pot as a base Hay eyeshadow from the Fafi quad mixed with Melon pigment on the lid Pinked Mauve pigment in the crease Vanilla to highlight Hard Candy purple mascara (don't remember the name of it) Hard Candy 1999 eyeliner Urban Decay Brown Sugar browbox (the lighter side) for my lips I just put on some lipbalm so my husband didn't have lipstick all over his face lol I will post pics as soon as I get back from Vegas.
smile.gif

@KristieTX

I was just wondering since you're in Vegas, did you get married there or are you there for your Honeymoon? I'm only asking because when my boyfriend and I get married we're planning on having the wedding in Vegas lol :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I could probably do my own makeup, but I might be all "it's my day I should be pampered" type of person. 

I would do it myself because I know how I like my makeup done and have been doing it for awhile that I know how to make it look hollywood good if I wanted. And to save some money ;P I would be VERY upset if she didnt do it how I liked it. BUT if i didnt have much experience or couldnt do what i wanted to look like then i would get it done for sure. But me personally no.
biggrin.gif

You can always set up a trial run with the makeup artist before the wedding to see her skills and to see if you like the way she makes you look. Give yourself enough time (a few weeks at least) to find another artist if you don't like how she does your makeup. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if she had done a great job on me before and I knew what to expect of her work (be sure to take pictures when she does your makeup so you can see how her work translates on camera, it may look great in person but completely icky in a photo). When you guys have a trial you can talk about what u do/don't like & decide exactly what you want and iron out any little details.

I will have mine done by a MUA. I don't think I am very good at make up, so I don't want to add to my stress.

Back