Let's Talk Indie Subs

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had gde otm since July 2013 and I am really hoping to get one again...i really wish it was still a pay for the whole thing at once sub
I really wish it was more like some of the other subs, where you just sign up and keep it until you cancel, with a waiting list, etc.

The way it is now, I will probably not be able to snag it because it's always at a time when I'm at work, and at a busy time at that (we're feeding the kids at that point, so can't really sneak off and try to get one). SO SAD.

Maybe I'll be able to grab one in the summer when school is out, though!

I was just looking at the ipsy spoilers just out of curiosity (I'm actually seriously curious about the bag itself.  I have NO NEED for more makeup bags, but I'm frequently sucked into OOH I WANT THAT BAG!  But if that happens, hello, swap threads!), and, man, *so glad* I've got indie subs.  The ipsy stuff looks *so boring*, not to mention of questionable quality.  Indies for color + Birchbox for skincare/bodycare/lifestyle extras/etc. = I'm happy.

I really wish it was more like some of the other subs, where you just sign up and keep it until you cancel, with a waiting list, etc.

The way it is now, I will probably not be able to snag it because it's always at a time when I'm at work, and at a busy time at that (we're feeding the kids at that point, so can't really sneak off and try to get one). SO SAD.

Maybe I'll be able to grab one in the summer when school is out, though!
Could you get someone (like friend, family member) to sign up with your payment info while you're at work? You'd probably have to explain to them how to do it, but its worth a shot!

Could you get someone (like friend, family member) to sign up with your payment info while you're at work? You'd probably have to explain to them how to do it, but its worth a shot!
The thing about the GDE OTM is that I'm not sure that the official signup time is going to be announced.  Even with unnannounced sale times the past two or three months, it has sold out pretty much instantly because people basically camp on the site all morning waiting for it to go live.

The thing about the GDE OTM is that I'm not sure that the official signup time is going to be announced.  Even with unnannounced sale times the past two or three months, it has sold out pretty much instantly because people basically camp on the site all morning waiting for it to go live.
I feel like a lot of the indie subs are becoming like this. Come February, I'm probably just going to aim for one, and camp out for the announcement of it going live and try my best hahaha.

I feel like a lot of the indie subs are becoming like this. Come February, I'm probably just going to aim for one, and camp out for the announcement of it going live and try my best hahaha.
I would recommend emailing Notoriously Morbid (I think there's a form on their site you can use) and ask to be added to their waiting list.  They work off a waiting list now, and if there are slots left over after all the waiting list people are added, those open on the site.  Getting on the waiting list would mean you just have to keep an eye on your email and act fast once you get a message that there's a slot waiting just for you.  No mad scramble for the site when it goes live for anyone to grab a spot!

Unfortunately I don't really have anyone like that around here except my mom, and she's not very tech savvy and would never be able to figure it out, lol. I will survive if I don't get it, though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would recommend emailing Notoriously Morbid (I think there's a form on their site you can use) and ask to be added to their waiting list.  They work off a waiting list now, and if there are slots left over after all the waiting list people are added, those open on the site.  Getting on the waiting list would mean you just have to keep an eye on your email and act fast once you get a message that there's a slot waiting just for you.  No mad scramble for the site when it goes live for anyone to grab a spot!
Yep, this is how I got into NM, and I didn't have to wait long at all.

I am going for GDE OTM.  Did someone say there was another new indie sub a bunch of people were trying?  I am looking for that comment but I can find it.  This is my first forum/group I've ever been in.

I am going for GDE OTM.  Did someone say there was another new indie sub a bunch of people were trying?  I am looking for that comment but I can find it.  This is my first forum/group I've ever been in.
To find info on individual sub boxes/bags, you'll want to go to the main Indie Rabbit Hole page (it's the main page for all of the indie stuff, and it should be at the top of whatever page you're reading right now.  If you're on the desktop version of the site, it's in the main navigation bar with a big green dot next to it):

https://www.makeuptalk.com/f/forum/380-indie-rabbit-hole-indie-makeup-subscription-boxes/

That will show you all of the threads for everything indie (except nail polish, which has its own thread in the Nails section, but, hey, if anyone wants to start indie nail threads in here, I don't see why that shouldn't happen aside from the fact that it hasn't happened yet).  There are something like five or six indie subs right now, and they all have their own threads in this section. 

I was just looking at the ipsy spoilers just out of curiosity (I'm actually seriously curious about the bag itself. I have NO NEED for more makeup bags, but I'm frequently sucked into OOH I WANT THAT BAG! But if that happens, hello, swap threads!), and, man, *so glad* I've got indie subs. The ipsy stuff looks *so boring*, not to mention of questionable quality. Indies for color + Birchbox for skincare/bodycare/lifestyle extras/etc. = I'm happy.
I'm still locked in with Ipsy until May (ugh!). I rarely use the bags, so I'll keep you in mind. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Indie subscriptions are so much better!! I want all of the indie subscriptions!!

Okay, so for those of you who get or have gotten both NM VC and i+ta, which do you usually like better as far as actual products go (shades, quality, etc)?

I ask because I am really only letting myself have 3 subs at a time right now, and I know Ephemera and OTM aren't going anywhere. I currently have NM VC, but I've been eyeballing i+ta, too. I really like NM's themes and general "vibe" but last month's shades weren't very pigmented. Just curious how these two compare for everyone.

I find myself using my NM shadows more than my i+ta stuff.  If I were to deathmatch them, NM would be the winner.  It might just be due to the fact that their aesthetic is much more my style than i+ta.  I'm much more likely to reach for a brown shadow called Young Merlin than I would Streaming Illusions (I have no idea whether that's an actual shade name, but it seemed like it could exist).

I find myself using my NM shadows more than my i+ta stuff.  If I were to deathmatch them, NM would be the winner.  It might just be due to the fact that their aesthetic is much more my style than i+ta.  I'm much more likely to reach for a brown shadow called Young Merlin than I would Streaming Illusions (I have no idea whether that's an actual shade name, but it seemed like it could exist).
I might have to death match the two of them, get both for a couple of months and see what I"m feeling. This month's VC might make me more excited about it, though...the colors are definitely more "me" than last month's. I'm drawn to NM because I like the themes and general aesthetic...right up my alley, but the products I've used haven't been quite as exciting as I've wanted them to be. (Of course, I still haven't played with my whole Winchester Gospels collection). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking that it felt like DG needed to start a sub, although with her TAT, that's probably not the bestest idea *ever*.

(I can't believe that it's only three moons to Espionage!  I can't wait to see what they put in their boxes.  Even if it's just four nail wraps, it will be worth what I paid -- an average of under $14 per box because thank you, Kickstarter! -- for four geeky wraps a month from April until December, but they're throwing in extra products, and the value will be $50, and four wraps would be $40, so that's probably at least a shadow or gloss a month!)

Did you see that Kiss My Sass asked on facebook if people would be interested in a sub, and to choose what kind (between a polish sub and a variety sub)?

Exciting!

Back