Lime Crime and Glamour Doll Eyes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some Lime Crime lippies and shadows during all the drama to see what they would be like.

I got Twilight, Empress, Nymph, and Pompadour. My favorites are Twilight (one of the neatest duochromes I have encountered) and Nymph (it sparkles vibrant gold when the light hits it).

The lippies I am not so sure about. I got DLilac, and it could have just been because it was such a pale color, but every time I tried to put gloss on top of it, the lipstick would wander around, mix around with the gloss, and end up leaving my lips looking splotchy. I haven't tried the others yet, but I have a feeling that the lighter colored ones have a tendency to separate on the lips. The red one I ordered, Styletto, applies just fine, so I think the application problems might be confined to the lighter colored lippies.

~Edit~ I contacted Doe Deere a/b my problem with DLilac, and she said that was due to the high oil content of the lipsticks. (They are moisturizing...) She suggested using a gloss like a mac lipglass or dazzleglass (a sticky-ish one) and not to over blend the two (the lipstick and the gloss) once applying the gloss. I think I may try that out but also start w/ concealer on my lips and perhaps dust some setting powder on before applying gloss. She was very polite and helpful in the email, so if you have a question, and as long as it isn't a/b repackaging, (duh), I would say go ahead and ask her.~~

Repackaging or not, these shadows (Nymph and Empress to be exact) stayed on my lids all day without creasing without a primer. I have oily eyelids. I was busy and about to run errands, so I just swiped some on and went about my day. I was very happy that whenever I checked my makeup throughout the day it hadn't budged! But maybe this difference is due to having oily skin versus not having oily skin?

I would actually buy from them again if there was a color there I couldn't get from anywhere else. Like any duochrome. But the price is quite steep. What I do like, however, is the color you see on the screen is what you get in the mail (at least for the colors I ordered). And I did like the staying power.

Also, I think Lime Crime caters to a specific audience that will pay that extra amount for the PR that goes along with Lime Crime. Sort of the way Urban Decay can mark up eyeshadows because they have that hip grunge marketing thing going on, and MAC, well, you all know about MAC and marketing,
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by ciaobonefish /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have ordered from Lime Crime before, and in all honesty the colors were bright and pretty but lacked "sticking" power and unique-ness. I ordered 6: Primma Donna, Lime Criminal, Elf, Twilight, Crystal Ball, and Amazon.
I found Primma Donna to be disappointing, while gorgeous in the jar it applies medium pigmented on my lids and does NOT stick to them (I use TFSI which is amazing for pigments). Lime Criminal was bright and pretty, applied well but just wasn't very interesting. Give me Aromaleigh or Archetype and I'll get a bright lime green with a pink duochrome or silver glitter, but this LC one was just plain lime green... that being said I still love the color but I just wish it was more interesting. Elf I love and can't really say anything about because I love the color so much! Twilight is another gem of the collection, a gorgeous cool purple-ish lavender blue (I can't describe it, it is tooo pretty) with a strinking pink duochrome sparkle. It isn't DUOCHROME but it isn't light shimmer either. Perfect in every way. Crystal Ball is pretty but the fall out is CRAZY! Amazon is a pretty color but again uninteresting and really low staying power.

All in all, I have mixed feelings about Lime Crime. Some shadows I loved, others I wanted to but couldn't (Primma Donna, I so wanted this to be the perfect hot pink-ish red!) In the future I will not be ordering from LC (unless I ever run out of Elf or Twilight which I doubt I ever will) because...

1. $12 is a little pricey for me when it comes to mineral eyeshadow. I would much rather spend my money at Aromaleigh.

2. The eyeshadows were too hit and miss for me
frown.gif

3. They're staying power was terrible (Twilight I exempt from this and Elf and Lime Criminal weren't too bad)

On a final note, I had GREAT customer service! I was leaving to go on vacation a week before I ordered and was hoping my eyeshadows would arrive before I left. I emailed LC and they promptly said they would make sure it arrived in time. I was touched at their concern. It was really hearwarming. Also, the jars as some have mentioned contain only 1.2 grams of pigment... in actuality I find these jars to be slightly bigger than others and come PACKED with pigment. The jars will probably last you a very very long time unless you use that shadow A LOT.

I hope this helped you guys...

Hi Ciao! Good to see you here! Can we post pics here? I'd be happy to see your hits and misses with Lime Crime. Twilight is also an absolute love for me.

I'd like to see how Prima Donna doesn't apply as brightly as it does in the pic. Oh, and it looks like Crystal Ball and Amazon are discontinued?

I'd also be happy to show how hard is to get the lighter colored lippies to apply correctly, and how the red one applies fine. Maybe the shadow colors are just hits and misses with staying power
confused.gif

Btw, on the topic of the duochromes being nice, people who miss aromaleigh's discontinued pure hue "earthen sage" might find Lime Crime's Dragon Scales to be a good dupe.

I have never used Lime Crime, but I have used Glamour Doll and really like them. I know that she has some colors that are repacked, but she also offers colors that are original to the brand which are what I have bought in an effort to avoid any dupes. I like every color I have gotten from the, they blend well and are very pigmented. The customer service is always great as well. They also offer their own primer (which I love) and lip glosses that I like as well. Also, I believe the jars are $ 6.50 and not $8.00. 

Back