Lining inner rims?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A lot of you out there talk about lining your inner rims. I haven't done this since I first started wearing makeup. I'm 34 now so that was about 19 years ago. I stopped because I once read in Seventeen mag or Teen mag about how dangerous (eye infections and such) it was plus I think it actually made my eyes look smaller. Anyways is it really that popular again. None of my friends line their rims. Maybe us Michiganians are just not with it! though I had my makeup done at the Estee Lauder counter at Neiman Marcus at Christmas time by a "visiting professional makeup artist" and he just lined underneath my lower lashes like I normally do!.

I guess it could just be a matter of personal preference.

Also, if I remember correctly I would line them and because it is a moist area it would disappear in like 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by elljmz A lot of you out there talk about lining your inner rims. I haven't done this since I first started wearing makeup. I'm 34 now so that was about 19 years ago. I stopped because I once read in Seventeen mag or Teen mag about how dangerous (eye infections and such) it was plus I think it actually made my eyes look smaller. Anyways is it really that popular again. None of my friends line their rims. Maybe us Michiganians are just not with it! though I had my makeup done at the Estee Lauder counter at Neiman Marcus at Christmas time by a "visiting professional makeup artist" and he just lined underneath my lower lashes like I normally do!.I guess it could just be a matter of personal preference.

Also, if I remember correctly I would line them and because it is a moist area it would disappear in like 15 minutes.

The MAC fluidlines and Powerpoints are usually really good at staying on inner rims, even though they are usually places where liner would disappear in minutes!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I usually only do the inner rims when I am doing a smoky look, and sometimes using a light or white color can make your eyes open up a bit.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by elljmz A lot of you out there talk about lining your inner rims. I haven't done this since I first started wearing makeup. I'm 34 now so that was about 19 years ago. I stopped because I once read in Seventeen mag or Teen mag about how dangerous (eye infections and such) it was plus I think it actually made my eyes look smaller. Anyways is it really that popular again. None of my friends line their rims. Maybe us Michiganians are just not with it! though I had my makeup done at the Estee Lauder counter at Neiman Marcus at Christmas time by a "visiting professional makeup artist" and he just lined underneath my lower lashes like I normally do!.I guess it could just be a matter of personal preference.

I also read that you are get eye infections from doing it , even more so if the eyeliner is a shared one like most teenage girls do. I don't do it myself infact I don't really think it looks all that great. I have seen it on actors but it never looks quite like it does in magazines cause your eye is going to water and no way would I use a waterproof eyeliner if there is such a type! No I only use eyeliner when I am going out partying with friends or dates with my husband and I don't really wear it on the underneath my lower lashes cause I hate having my eyes look small!
That "visiting professional makeup artist" was very good at his job, I think one of the reasons he didn't do it was for your fear of infection even if you didn't say anything. One very smart man .. He can do my eyes anytime!!
biggrin.gif

i always line my inner rims i don't care if it's "cool" or not i've been doing it since i was 12.

i use what i have been using since i was 12 it's cheap it's waterproof and it lasts all night

maybelline expert eyes pencil in velvet black (the red pencils) you just heat it with a match or a lighter then apply and you are good to go.

here is a pic i took from my eyes of the night the other day

05-05-05eyes.jpg

and i've never had any eye infections or had any issues with my contact lenses when i line my inner lower rims.

Originally Posted by Anya1976 and i've never had any eye infections or had any issues with my contact lenses when i line my inner lower rims. Looks great Angela ~ I also use the "match or lighter" technique too!!! That works great!

You are talking about that pencil thats been around forever , right? I had no idea it was waterproof. I'm going to try it. I have used it before years and years ago but it seemed so hard. I will try warming it up a bit first. Thanks for the tip! I'm really trying to break out of my very basic makeup routine. I never really cared much AT ALL about makeup ( always just wore a very minimal amount if any at all) then I stumbled upon this site and all of a sudden I'm thias makeup addict. The other day I bought:

QVC- BE foundation

mineral veil

clear radiance

MACcosmetics.com-

e/s in Woodwinked

e/s inShroom

shadestick in Sharkskin

shadestick in Gentle Lentil

brush #211

brush #239

brush #224

lip pencil in Whirl and sharpener

lipglass in C-Thru

MAC Fix+

BlincInc.com- KissMe Mascara

AND the weirdest thing is yesterday at Lord and Taylor I found myself in the makeup section INSTEAD of the shoes and purses.!

Cool haul! Woodwinked and Shroom are 2 of my staples, as is the 239 brush!

I always line my eyes if i'm doing a smoky look. And if my eyes are looking tired, i use a light cream colour (i find it more natural than white).

I never share my eyeliner with anyone, and i always clean the end of the pencil when i'm finished with it.

Originally Posted by K*O* Looks great Angela ~ I also use the "match or lighter" technique too!!! That works great! it's the only way that my liner stays on. and i've used other pencils and they never compare to my maybelline expert eyes pencil. i've tried many other things and always been disapointed

Originally Posted by elljmz You are talking about that pencil thats been around forever , right? I had no idea it was waterproof. I'm going to try it. I have used it before years and years ago but it seemed so hard. I will try warming it up a bit first. Thanks for the tip! I'm really trying to break out of my very basic makeup routine. I never really cared much AT ALL about makeup ( always just wore a very minimal amount if any at all) then I stumbled upon this site and all of a sudden I'm thias makeup addict. The other day I bought:QVC- BE foundation

mineral veil

clear radiance

MACcosmetics.com-

e/s in Woodwinked

e/s inShroom

shadestick in Sharkskin

shadestick in Gentle Lentil

brush #211

brush #239

brush #224

lip pencil in Whirl and sharpener

lipglass in C-Thru

MAC Fix+

BlincInc.com- KissMe Mascara

AND the weirdest thing is yesterday at Lord and Taylor I found myself in the makeup section INSTEAD of the shoes and purses.!

Wow Jennie!!! Awesomely HUGE haul!!! Enjoy it!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Oh and lining inner rims & infections: you can get an eye infection pretty much from any eye cosmetic... and that comes from bacteria that gets on the product and into your eyes... but when that happens, and you know that you have a problem, you should toss the product anyway - because it will just happen again the next time you use it.
icon_wink.gif

I seldom line my bottom lids and never on the inner rims; I find that lining the bottom lid just makes my small eyes look smaller. And I have very dry, sensitive eyes (I can't even wear contacts anymore
frown.gif
) and I'm just paranoid about putting something that close to my eye!

But I suppose that if you've been doing it for a while and haven't had any problems, then maybe it's safe for you!

Your chances of getting an infection are greatly increased when you line the inner rims. Your eyelashes are a natural barrier to protect you against foreign objects and bacteria. When you put something inside that barrier, you are allowing it past the line of natural protection.

I suppose that if you heat the pencil right before using it you are sanitizing it to a great degree, so that helps. If not you are taking a chance. Personally, I don't think it's worth it.

nice haul!!!!

i find myself going to the makeup counters first also. hehehe.

i don't line my inner rims either because my eyes water and parts of the liner goes away and ends up clumping in the corner of my eye, and that's not attractive. lol.

i heard the powerpoints work best for inner rims because they're supposed to be waterproof. the mua said they're better than the fluidlines.

i do line my lower lash line with some of the eye shadows that i used on my lids.

Latest posts

Back