Losing a parent

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by oobladi I understand and respect that. I'm supposed to be taking them to this day but I do not like what the side effects do to me so I treat myself my own way. I have my bad days but I have even more great days. You have my most heartfelt sympathies for your loss. Thankyou =) Im gonna be super strong

CuTeLiCiOuS---my condolences to you...be strong! I know exactly how u feel. i lost my mother this past feb and my father this past may...when it rains it really does pour! But they always say that there has to be rain in order for there to be a rainbow...i really believe that even if my parents are no longer here physically, they are around spiritually. I'm sure yours are too! they do watch to make sure you're okay, i believe!

I'm so sorry, it's a very hard loss to take, the loss of a parent. I lost my mother suddenly when I was 15. I was in shock for about 3 years, I just thought she was on vacation or a trip to another hospital and she'd be back soon, that's how I immediately dealt with it. Then 1 day when I was 18, I was cleaning out my wallet and started looking at my pics of her and it was like someone just slapped me really hard! I started crying and kept crying for about an hour, I finally realized she wasn't ever coming back.

Well, I'm 33 now, and it still hurts and I still cry. It may sound strange, but I still talk to her daily, and feel that she's my gaurdian angel, since I've had several close calls since her death. IMO you never get over it, you just learn how to deal with it. It can 'Feel' easier after awhile, but it never hurts any less.

I do still have my dad, thank god! I'm a total daddy's girl and worship him, I pray for his health alot, I won't imagine what it'll be like to deal with that loss.

Be strong, don't be afraid to go to a quiet place and talk to them, and remember they're always with you in spirit and your heart. Remember the smiles and laughter. Time will get you through this.

I have to say, every so often, I smell Opium perfume, or just feel a brief touch or chill, that's when I know she's close, and it's nice. Treasure those moments when they happen for you, and they will, trust me
smile.gif

I'm truly deeply sorry seeing you experiencing this terrible lost. It must be an extremely difficult time for you now but it definitely will get better as time flies.
hugss.gif
Keep on living well since you're living not only for yourself but also for your loved ones who are no longer in this life.

I am sorry for your loss. My dad died of leukemia in 1995. His one wish was to see me graduate high school. About 2 weeks after graduation he passed. We were very close for a long time but when he got sick I didn't know how to deal and he didn't know how to let me grow up. So we missed a lot of time together and argued a lot. I regret not spending that time with him but I cherish the time I did have. Its been 11 years now and I still miss him at times. I'm crying as I write this because I feel for you and it reminds me how much I miss him. It is nothing you can ever prepare for and until you experience a loss, nothing can describe it. My mother has ovarian cancer and My biggest fear is not having her in my life she has always been my rock. It takes time to heal that pain but in time you will. Day by day it does get easier. I'm sure now you don't feel that way but the one thing that got me through is knowing how much he cared and loved me and appreciating what time we did have. My prayers are with you.

I lost my dad when i was only 10 years old-6years ago. It is still hard at times, but you gradually except it. I am sure all of the other mutters are here and i know i am are here to support you in any way possible. You'd think going through this, you would know what to say, but honestly there is nothing anybody can to make things better. And not only my dad but i have had at least 4 people really close to me pass away this year and my aunt about 3 years ago. Just whatever you do don't blame your self, and stay positive even if they don't amount the negative, understand and maintain focused.

Thankyou Ladies for your advice. I am trying to be okay. I have been sucking this up for a while (a year) and hold in it. I just have to admit it is okay. I am not okay, but its fine that I am not okay. I have not been able to talk about this with my freinds or even my family. I don't have that option. All of them are trying to suck it up. I am fine. I feel better now. Thankyou everyone = ) You are awesome people.

Originally Posted by Tpsyduck I'm so sorry, it's a very hard loss to take, the loss of a parent. I lost my mother suddenly when I was 15. I was in shock for about 3 years, I just thought she was on vacation or a trip to another hospital and she'd be back soon, that's how I immediately dealt with it. Then 1 day when I was 18, I was cleaning out my wallet and started looking at my pics of her and it was like someone just slapped me really hard! I started crying and kept crying for about an hour, I finally realized she wasn't ever coming back. Well, I'm 33 now, and it still hurts and I still cry. It may sound strange, but I still talk to her daily, and feel that she's my gaurdian angel, since I've had several close calls since her death. IMO you never get over it, you just learn how to deal with it. It can 'Feel' easier after awhile, but it never hurts any less.

I do still have my dad, thank god! I'm a total daddy's girl and worship him, I pray for his health alot, I won't imagine what it'll be like to deal with that loss.

Be strong, don't be afraid to go to a quiet place and talk to them, and remember they're always with you in spirit and your heart. Remember the smiles and laughter. Time will get you through this.

I have to say, every so often, I smell Opium perfume, or just feel a brief touch or chill, that's when I know she's close, and it's nice. Treasure those moments when they happen for you, and they will, trust me
smile.gif

I am or was doing the same thing. For the first couple of my months I would look in the room expect my parent to be there or come back. You know at night everybody is suppose to be home.

one of my best friends lost her mother about 2 years ago, and i don't think she's ever really gotten over it. she doesn't like to discuss it. she never cried at all, at least not in front of me, or at her funeral. i think she is the type to keep things bottled up inside. either way, i think it is really important to talk about how you're feeling and vent/cry whenever you feel like it. it helps. it always helped me to write about my feelings..rather than talking with someone. remember all of the special times you had with that person and keep in mind that they are now at peace.

I wish I knew the answer to that. I just lost my dad to cancer. It really sucks. I don't know if we ever really get over it...maybe the pain fades after a while. Hang in there, sweetie.

Originally Posted by BrazenBrunhilda /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wish I knew the answer to that. I just lost my dad to cancer. It really sucks. I don't know if we ever really get over it...maybe the pain fades after a while. Hang in there, sweetie. Thankyou
handkuss.gif
We will both be fine.

i have never lost a parent or loved one besides my gramma when I was 13 and i didn't grow up around her a whole lot. I fell ill equipped on advising you due to my own circumstances but I can't read something like that and not say ANYTHING.

I don't know what to say but I can pass along advice that was given from one Widow raisng a child...from another widow. It sounds rather harsh but it is probably true.

"It really doesn't ever get better, it just gets easier."

You have my Blessings and Prayers...take care of yourself and try to stay busy. try to balance things...I don't think it is healthy to repress things from within us OR to dwell on things within us non-stop.

I won't close this by saying "hope you feel better" 'cuase nothing can replace your loved one. That would be an empty and shallow statement.

All I can say is I hope you feel...well, bearable and happier afer a while.

(((hugs)))

mela

Originally Posted by Tpsyduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm so sorry, it's a very hard loss to take, the loss of a parent. I lost my mother suddenly when I was 15. I was in shock for about 3 years, I just thought she was on vacation or a trip to another hospital and she'd be back soon, that's how I immediately dealt with it. Then 1 day when I was 18, I was cleaning out my wallet and started looking at my pics of her and it was like someone just slapped me really hard! I started crying and kept crying for about an hour, I finally realized she wasn't ever coming back. Well, I'm 33 now, and it still hurts and I still cry. It may sound strange, but I still talk to her daily, and feel that she's my gaurdian angel, since I've had several close calls since her death. IMO you never get over it, you just learn how to deal with it. It can 'Feel' easier after awhile, but it never hurts any less.

smile.gif

i belive in this statement wholeheartedly. i run the risk of sounding like a mystical falke but I also tell people to pay close attention to dreams about loved ones who are gone, instead of letting it disturb you just kind of relax and think of it as a departed loved one's way of trying to communicate with you. Even if we cannot remember what was said, it is important to remember the feeling associated with the dream. The night my grandmother died I had a dream she kept talking to me and singing me songs and we were laughing together, I was a tiny little kid again in the dream. She died when I was 13.I had another dream about my great-gran whom I felt closer to after she passed as well. I had cried bitterly because I was too sick to attend her funeral on short notice. Within a week I dreamt I saw her and she hugged me and kissed me on both cheeks as well as the mouth- something I had almost always responded awkwardly to. (she was 100 percent Italian, literally emigrated here off-a-boat, I hear that families from there are more free to be effusively affectionate with kids and grandkids than they are around "here." she sat me down and had cooked a hug feast complete with homemmade bread, tossed salads, meat lasagna and neopolitan ice cream.

the signifigance of that is that by the time I was old enough to visit her and stuff she had bad arthritis and no longer could cook much..i never got to taste 1 meal cooked by her and her meals were legendary and pretty much like the one above I described.

i considered it like a special goodbye from her and I really should stop writing now...she lived to be ninety-three... I was nineteen or twnety when she finally passed...but I am tearing up again ,even now. I felt this special connection to my great gran and I still miss her a lot.

I am so sorry for your loss. You are going to be OK. I lost my Mom not to long ago, and it hurts so damn much! I wanted the same answers your asking for. I wish I could give you a hug right now. What I do know is that it takes time (I know everyone says this). Time is the only thing that softens the hurt. Just take it day by day. Remember all of the good times and just know that he/she/they are watching down over you. They want you to feel better and go on. You will always miss them, but it does get better. Be prepared to go through phases of: crying, hurt, guilt, anger - sometimes many times over - but remember that it's all part of the grieving process. Like I said above, you are going to be OK.

Please pm me if you want to talk further. I will be thinking of your sweetie.

Originally Posted by CuTeLiCiOuS /img/forum/go_quote.gif How do you deal with it? & how do you get up again and be okay? How long does it take? First of all, my deepest sympathies go out to you. I've been there and know the feeling you're going through.
Every person is different and everyone grieves in a different way. My mom died back in 1995 and STILL I sometimes I still cry over her at times when I'm feeling very sensitive. It's hard to say when the initial strong grieving period is over. The main thing is to remember the good times and good memories. My mom suffered a lot so I try to block that out and remember the good times and humorous things that my mom did. That gets me through it all. Plus I keep thinking, I remember that my mom loved me a lot and she would not want me to live my life getting sick & depressed over her - she would want me and your parent would want YOU to remember the good times and keep her memory alive.

Take care.
hugss.gif

I lost my Dad a few years ago, I still think of him and get a tear in my eye,. I know in my heart he is waiting for the rest of his family to join him in heaven .

I do not know what your belifes are but to me I take comfort in knowing I will be with him again when its my time....

I lost my dad to cancer this August. It sucks. I just go on and try not to let it destroy me. I have lost many loved ones and while I don't cry about them anymore, I still think anout them...

My dad died 4 years ago this Christmas season, and I lost my mom this last February. And although I am no longer 'hurting'. There are days when I just feel alittle nostalgic in my memories and miss them. I go to the gravesite a few times a year. (not alot) but it helps to just sit there and sometime talk about what is going on in my life. I don't think I'll ever stop missing them. But my memories are happy ones.

Back