"Mac is definitely a phase some people go through...I think they're stuck in time"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried Mineralized, and I didn't really love it.  I'm pretty fair, so the makeup artist at their counter put me in Light Plus.  And it was really way too orange for me - it went orange about 10 minutes after I had it on my face.  And even Light - which would pretty much be the only shade I could fall back on - was just off on me.  So, I dunno - the consistency was nice, but they just don't have a good shade range for fair skinned girls like they do in their other foundations.
Yep, that's MAC foundations for you... Either too orange, yellow or green. I find the orangey tone thing happens on people who are prone to an oily pH.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, that's MAC foundations for you... Either too orange, yellow or green.

I find the orangey tone thing happens on people who are prone to an oily pH.
I'm off in kind of all areas there, LOL!  I was officially labeled as "combo/sensitive/mature" by a SA at Sephora.  Just the whole enchilada, but I do tend to get oiler in the t-zone (which makes sense in the "combo" part of that equation).

So funny. I was so into MAC in the 90's.... And wondered if maybe something was wrong with me because I find their stuff so eh now. I do love their Oh Baby lip glass! I also love some of their mineral products and paint pots and pigments, but their eye shadows just seem hard and the color just doesn't show up on my eyelids!!!

In terms of innovation, yes, Mac is far behind than other competitive brands. But still maximum products of MAC are well proven. As a student of marketing, i prefer to bring new items every couple of months since this strategy would help to retain the old customers and welcome the potential customers as well. I love couple of products of MAC.

I have a few MAC items, but they weren't my first makeup items at all (I don't have a MAC store near me). I've tried the Gaga and the Nicki Minaj Viva Glams, a couple of their Lipglasses, and their pigments. All of the stuff was good, but not really HG products for me. And while I'll probably continue to buy the pigments, its not a must have.

I too think MAC is not worth all the hype - and anytime I've ever been to a MAC store or counter, the customer service wasn't great. It wasn't terrible, either though. I've only really purchased one item - the painterly paint pot - & I love it. But I've tried some other products that I didn't love. MAC seems hit or miss for me.

I remember when MAC opened their first actual stores. Their products were far better way back when. I didnt buy anything MAC for over 10 years, after my first introduction to them. They still have the odd things I like, but there are now more misses with them than hits. I did start buying some of their products again last year, mostly blushes & MSF Natural (the only 'foundation-type' product they make that doesn't break me out or turn orange on me). The vast majority of their eyeshadows, liners & mascaras I find to be abysmal, though. Vougeboy is right. Kryolan & other companies that market to pro makeup artists are far better, not to mention very often cheaper. As far as brushes go, I haven't bought a MAC brush since they first opened their retail stores. I personally have never felt they're worth the ridiculous prices they charge. I do love when sales people at places like MAC try to pressure me into buying something by telling me that a product is incredibly popular because it's great quality, or that their brand is better than other counters'. I know damn well they're not & tell them that I've heard the exact opposite from reviewers, that their ingredients are no better than drug store brands & that the texture & pigmentation of their products is pretty pathetic considering the prices they're charging. It's true. I'm not the slightest bit interested in brand snobbery or impressing buffoons who work for any cosmetic company, including MAC. I'm able to afford pretty much all brands I'm interested in, but that doesn't mean I'm going to flush cash down the toilet for the sake of having a compact embellished with any specific brand just so I can pull it out of my bag to flash in front of people. I can't stand brand name whores. I want great products, period. It's so sad that MAC has gone to hell as a company when so many others, especially drug store brands, are vastly improving. No reason for it other than greed and complete lack of vision for the company.

I couldn't agree more. Since MAC was bought out by Estee Lauder, I've just seen such a "lull" in their products. Estee is amazing, don't get me wrong, but I feel like MAC just spits out lines super quick, and that detail and thorough thought that used to go into their products is seemingly gone.

Back