MAC price increase in 2009

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I love their products...they need a reality check, and that goes in the form of not buying their products, and letting them feel the burn that everyone else is feeling. But the other side of me wants to invest in stock with them because they have been going up! up! up!!!

I'm so confused -- I read that "Why is MAC so popular?" thread recently and almost everybody there was like "awesome quality, and very affordable!" and in this one everybody's saying how they're too expensive to begin with. (I'm in the category of they're too expensive for me and I feel weird just walking into the store being surrounded by people who could afford to buy all of that. I went there with one of my friends...she dropped $50 on a make up brush. I was thinking to myself "holy crap! I've spent $50 on my makeup brushes, but that was for ALL of them and I've got like 20 brushes... and she spent $50...on ONE brush.) I just can't get myself to spend $20 on one item when I know I can get 5 things for the same price at a quality I approve of.

MAC is one of the more affordable prestige brands out there. UD's shadows are 16 dollars, and I don't use those nearly as often as I use my MAC shadows, which are 1.50 cheaper. So if they decide to raise the price of shadows to 16 (I highly doubt that), that's fine with me. I wouldn't call myself a MAC addict, but I do think I get more than my money's worth with some of the products. Plus, nothing's going to stop me from owning the entire Hello Kitty collection, lol.

That blows! Like someone else said, I guess I'll have to start doing more CCO shopping instead!

should we boycott mac and other highend brands lol? Makeup shouldn't be this expensive period! A small pot of eyeshadow at 14.50 is ridiculous! I really doubt that it takes even 1/6th of that price to make it.

this is so stupid.... They are trying to profit even more off of that Hello Kitty collection.

I was actually planning on buying a few lipsticks+lipglasses+mascara+blush.

and I never buy that much of cosmetics at once...

They know what they are doing I guess

ahhh sooo badd...

It is supply and demand, the less demand there is the higher the price must go, it's simple economics and good buisness. But it does add up pretty fast, 50$ doesnt get you what it used to thats for sure. I remember when i started buying mac, eyeshadows were 12$ now theyre 17$ CAD!

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif Good lord, but the MAC crack addicts will keep on buying... true!

Originally Posted by colormeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif If they do a price increase you might as well go all the way and buy MUFE.
exactly.

i love MAC, don't get me wrong...but i'm only really addicted to their pigments and lipglasses. the color payoff from the pigments is dope. i love my little piggies. i don't own too many of their shadows, and the ones i do own, i got from ebay for a much cheaper price.

although this past weekend, i DID go to CCO and spend about $190 on some stuff i've "always wanted", but didn't want to pay full price for. i got a BUNCH of stuff. so it was worth it. i've learned that with the right primer, brush and technique, you can get the most and best of any product, cheap or not.

MAC and EL are probably, not necessarily struggling, but aren't as comfortable as they were. Prices for supplies are going up and will continue to, they will be paying more for everything. Plus, as they bulk buy even if prices go down, until what they already have is gone their prices will remain up. Of course the company is going to pass price hikes onto their customers, as their suppliers have already done. Not that it's fair but that's the way businesses roll. :S

That just sucks.. I know I'll still buy it, but eventually they have to stop raising the prices. If they continue to raise the prices .50-$1.50 every year, at one point no one will buy.

We could just go to MACs website and give feedback about the prices.

Just an idea. Who knows, they may reconsider.

Originally Posted by colormeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif We could just go to MACs website and give feedback about the prices.
Just an idea. Who knows, they may reconsider.

hah, in a perfect world

Well everything is going up and im not one of those people that feels the need to buy a whole collection so for those very few mac items i buy i dont think its such a big deal.

To me this isn't a surprise...MAC usually increase prices for their products yearly, and as much as people say they're not going to buy anything due to the price hikes, there will be other customers who will still buy from them regardless. In the long run, they're still making out. Let's say 7 out of 10 customers buys an e/s. The extra .50-$1.50 would make up for loss of customers who don't buy a product. The average daily sales will drop, but not as significant if they charged a little extra for every product that sells. Sure $14.50 for an e/s may be pricey, but everything seems to be going up. cost of public transpo, gas prices, slice of pizza, sales tax, etc. Maybe when MAC e/s starts to hit $18, then I'll switch over to MUFE. However for now, I'll continue to buy frugally or head to the CCO for my MAX fixes. Just buy what you need ladies, no need to splurge on every new collection. Ofc, I'm still splurging on Hello Kitty (she's my home girl) haha

Originally Posted by blueangel1023 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sure $14.50 for an e/s may be pricey, but everything seems to be going up. cost of public transpo, gas prices, slice of pizza, sales tax, etc. i don't know about your area, but in my area, gas has gone down from almost $6/gallon this summer to $1.60 this month. I have a feeling MAC won't be dropping their prices by 75% any time soon
frown.gif

But yeah, overall as time goes on, inflation persists and cost of living just gets more and more expensive.

I remember when my blot powder only cost $13.00 Canadian. Now it costs $25.00 Canadian (before taxes) I only buy MAC every so often but yes definitely everything is going up in price.

Yeah, it does seem that MAC goes up every year, but we are not in a recession every year (according to the experts). I have missed the last few collections lately and you know what-I really have not missed it. I FINALLY realized that I have the things that I need 3 times over. I will be getting some Hello Kitty though LOL.

This sucks!! I think they are trying to make up for the hit they are going to take because of the economy.

Back