Make Up Packaging?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dashery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh gosh, theBalm kills me with their names. I saw the Meet Matt(e) Nude and there went my money.

Also. *shakes fist* I both curse and thank you for introducing me the Besame! I think I may need to ask for something from Besame for my birthday now...
Sorry! I regret the day I found Besame. The mascara cake is like no, I have no idea how to use that or if it will even work, but I must have it, The Vintage feels. It has been on my Birchbox favorites for quite sometime, and will be the first thing I add to the cart when I save all my points.

On a whim, I bought a red Chanel lipstick (I rarely wear red, but I have a problem with wanting to purchase them) for the packaging. You push the bottom down and then it pops out, instead of just pulling the cap off. I didn't even bother looking at the price and when they told me $40 I almost choked, but boy oh boy did I want it. I did buy it, I wore it twice, and I honestly do not regret the purchase. Every so often I pull it out look at the pretty little thing and smile and put it back. I was in Chicago when I bought it, and I LOVE Chicago, it's my home away from home, so I think that's why I love it so much. It reminds me of where I was at when I bought it. If it makes you feel any better I have made multiple lip purchases over $30 and I love them. Honestly, I feel like a splurge now and then is just a necessity. I bought the Chanel, MAC, and Dior lip purchases in one day, just because I felt like I deserved a little treat. Maybe don't go as crazy as I did, but if you have been wanting it for awhile I say go for it.
On a whim, I bought a red Chanel lipstick (I rarely wear red, but I have a problem with wanting to purchase them) for the packaging. You push the bottom down and then it pops out, instead of just pulling the cap off. I didn't even bother looking at the price and when they told me $40 I almost choked, but boy oh boy did I want it. I did buy it, I wore it twice, and I honestly do not regret the purchase. Every so often I pull it out look at the pretty little thing and smile and put it back. I was in Chicago when I bought it, and I LOVE Chicago, it's my home away from home, so I think that's why I love it so much. It reminds me of where I was at when I bought it. If it makes you feel any better I have made multiple lip purchases over $30 and I love them. Honestly, I feel like a splurge now and then is just a necessity. I bought the Chanel, MAC, and Dior lip purchases in one day, just because I felt like I deserved a little treat. Maybe don't go as crazy as I did, but if you have been wanting it for awhile I say go for it.
Lol! It makes sense though that you would love that lipstick so much. It holds a lot of sentiment to you. Once I buy the YSL lipstick I will probably set it on my desk and stare at it lol. I do plan on buying it one day! Thanks for sharing I feel better now haha

One thing that I was reminded of recently is why I skip sales from TheBalm. I recently got a sample of the new TB "How 'Bout Them Apples" palette pictured below. I was hoping the sample might not quite match the full size packaging, but it does. Complete with the shirtless guy.

I am just not into that sort of thing. I'm not into male eye candy (or female eye candy). I'm happily married and I just don't want guys like that on my makeup. I wish they offered a version without that for those of us who are not into that. I get that some people love it, and that's totally fine, but I wish there was an option for people who don't. Now, please don't understand. I am pro-body image and definitely not a "prude" (though goodness I hate that word, but I felt people would know what I meant if I used it). I'm an art model and that sort of thing doesn't offend me, it's just not my taste and it's a shame for me since I could get the palette free with my Birch Box points.

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJessicaMary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  One thing that I was reminded of recently is why I skip sales from TheBalm. I recently got a sample of the new TB "How 'Bout Them Apples" palette pictured below. I was hoping the sample might not quite match the full size packaging, but it does. Complete with the shirtless guy.

I am just not into that sort of thing. I'm not into male eye candy (or female eye candy). I'm happily married and I just don't want guys like that on my makeup. I wish they offered a version without that for those of us who are not into that. I get that some people love it, and that's totally fine, but I wish there was an option for people who don't. Now, please don't understand. I am pro-body image and definitely not a "prude" (though goodness I hate that word, but I felt people would know what I meant if I used it). I'm an art model and that sort of thing doesn't offend me, it's just not my taste and it's a shame for me since I could get the palette free with my Birch Box points.
While I generally love theBalm's packaging, I have to agree with you on this one. It looks a bit too pandering and not nearly as polished as some of their other designs. Which is sad, because I really like the looks of those blushes.

While I generally love theBalm's packaging, I have to agree with you on this one. It looks a bit too pandering and not nearly as polished as some of their other designs. Which is sad, because I really like the looks of those blushes.
Buy them and depot them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> then you get the beautiful product quality and none of the hunky men. 

(I'm a huge advocate for depotting stuff and reducing storage space anyway, so even if I hated the packaging but loved the blush, I'd get them and depot them into a z palette).

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Buy them and depot them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> then you get the beautiful product quality and none of the hunky men. 

(I'm a huge advocate for depotting stuff and reducing storage space anyway, so even if I hated the packaging but loved the blush, I'd get them and depot them into a z palette).
You are a thinking woman, my friend! That didn't even cross my mind. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks!

@MissJessicaMary I think they will offer a version without the naked men! They did a similar thing with the Nude Tude palette, so maybe wait for that to come out? I do love their packaging as it feels a bit more eco friendly (no plastic) and still sturdy. I also like that its bright and happy packaging.

I really love Tarte and Too Faced packaging too and of course Nars (although it does get dirty fast).

I am a sucker for packaging. Someone recommended some eye cream at Sephora but I have not tried it because the packaging was so generic. I should though, she made me a good size sample.

The Laura Mercier Artist palette I solely considered because of the packaging but I ended up loving it.

I love the rubber texture of the Nars packaging hence I bought the Narsissist Palette, and also it is about the size of a Palette that got stolen at an event and this one so much more practical colors. Memories placed a huge role in having to get that palette. Yes the light colors aren't as pigmented as they could be but I like that because I have a darker skin tone and could easily have way too much light eyeshadow quickly if the work too well.

Names play a huge role, I wanted to like Nars Orgasm so much but it is too light for me. It is almost a highlight shade on me.

packaging-wise, i like YSL, Bobbi Brown, NARS, MAC, UD, and Benefit. I hate Too Faced, theBalm, and some Tarte.

I personally love two completely different types of packaging...lol

I Love the type that MAC and NARS have...as well as Benefit's packaging, I just think is so cute!!

The only thing I DON'T like is when there's more packaging than there is of product!
plthumbsdown.gif

I'm obviously interested in the product, and nice packaging is just a plus. Although I get it

should be catchy to the eye, having more packaging than actual product is just ridiculous. 
eusa_snooty.gif

For example, I don't like eyeshadow pots that make it seem like there's a good amount of product because

the packaging  makes it seems like there's depth and then w/ a couple of uses you've already reached the pan...boo!

You are a thinking woman, my friend! That didn't even cross my mind. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks!
You're welcome! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm all for saving space. Plus that way if there's one I really like, I can stick it in with the eyeshadows I'll be wearing and makes it easier for travel to take one at a time instead of lugging around 6 of them for the one color. 

I always described myself as not caring about "luxe" packaging. But. Even though I'm sure Benefit's new line of lip balms inspired by Benetint will be nothing special, the packaging has me head-over-heals in love. I need it.

Card board packaging. I hadn't had anything made with it until my Revealed palette. I was fine with it when I got it but now that it houses my most used eye shadows I'm worried it will fall apart soon.

Being able to see the edges of metal pans really bugs me. I have no clue why it bugs me but I see it every where.

Pump bottles that aren't clear because it is difficult to tell what you have left.

My Revlon Colorstay whipped mousse foundation. All the crevices in the spray nozzle are difficult to clean and the cap inevitably gets dirty. It's just so messy. Not to mention the amount of concentration it requires to get a small amount.

saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:saku, on 20 Mar 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:

waah...when i first started getting into makeup...even before my NAKED palette (which is my first sephora purchase), i use those sponge applicators. I have plenty of those loreal hip eyeshadows which always come with the sponge applicators. i loved them! LOL i use those everyday for at least a year haha. i use the flat part to part shadow on my lid, and the edge to put it on my lash line. those loreal ones are relatively good quality sponge applicators, but of course, brushes are the way to go. i'd like to say that they are good if you have 0 brushes (like me back then), and applies my eyeshadow fine. :)
Thank you for your defense of the lowly sponge-tipped applicator!

While I have dozens of brushes, I also have a small container of sponge-tipped applicators, and I do reach for one occasionally. They are great for certain things - for example, if I've applied a sticky base (such as the NYX Milk Jumbo Eye Pencil), I've found I can achieve a more even application of shadow over it if I pat the shadow on using a sponge-tipped applicator - then use a brush to blend it out.

I also use one when I've applied scotch tape to achieve a sharp edge, to pat the shadow on along the edge of the tape. I've found I get less fall out on my cheeks using a sponge-tipped applicator in the area adjacent to the tape than I do when using a brush to apply shadow in that area.

Poor sponge-tipped applicators....so unappreciated and misunderstood....<wink>

If I was to give an award for what I believe is one of the most attractive and innovative (but totally useless) packaging ideas ever, it would have to go to the Sephora + Pantone Universe Colorbyte Lip Wands from the 2013 Color of the Year collection (image from http://www.beautezine.com/sephora-pantone-universe-colorbyte-lip-wands-review-photos-swatches/). While they are absolutely stunning to look at, it is practically impossible to get the product out of the "tubes." The "tubes" are so stiff, it takes Herculean finger strength to squeeze the tubes hard enough to get the gloss out.

Colorbytes Lip Wands.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A packaging peeve I have is anything in pencil form where the cap cannot be placed over the end of the product. I always find myself dropping the caps on the floor and having to stop what I'm doing to find it and it's just, no. It's such a small thing but I find that to be the most irritating, lol. 

I love my wet and wild bronzers but I hate how big it is. There's a lot of product and it's an amazing deal but it takes up so much space since it's bubbly on the top. 

I also dislike products with packaging that can get dirty, for example anything with suede or that kind of texture. I live in Vegas and it gets super dusty in the house super quickly. My ItCosmetics naturally pretty palette is pretty new but it looks like I've had it for months. However, I do appreciate luxury brands for giving me a nice velvet or suede case to get dusty rather than the product itself. I own a few Chanel brushes and each stay nice and clean in the black covers. ^.^

Packaging I love; Tom Ford's eyeshadow palettes. It's glamorous, compact, and even though it comes with one of those sad applicators, it's one I use and is great for touch ups. 

I love Tarte's new patterned cases for their Amazonian lip butters. Cardboard, yes, but they're so pretty! I also think the Fresh Sugar lip balks have the best cases, by far. The caps twist on, so they're never going to fall off, the product retracts fully, and the case feels nice and heavy and doesn't show fingerprints. I carry it in my purse daily, so it takes a beating, but the lettering and everything stays looking brand new. 

YSL and Guerlain lip products are gorgeously packaged. But less pricey brands that try for that vibe usually just look tacky and cheap. And I also loathe clicky-pens with a burning passion. I really like YSL Touche Eclat, but I refuse to buy it because of the pen. Can we not put illuminating concealer in a tube or something??

Packaging is a weakness of mine.

-I like professional looking things, simple, and not too bulky, yet I don't like too plain to where it's not appealing.

-I get annoyed with eyeshadows being sold with the sponge applicators, just wasting packaging with the little space where they go.

-I also get annoyed when you buy a little quad or something and they try to have a big clear window so you can see the product, yet when you open it, they also tried to squeeze a mirror in there.

Those little mirrors don't do anything but make the packaging look dirtier after a while.

-I hate glass foundation bottles without a pump or paddle. C'mon.

Specifically:

-I don't really like Benefits packaging on most of their stuff, especially the boxed blushes? I'm not sure as I've never looked into them as I always thought they were obnoxious.

-I love the look of NARS,

-I like the look of Urban Decay, but not the weight of it, it feels cheap in the hand

-The Too Faced lipsticks are amazingly pretty, simple, and feel like you could put a window out with how hefty they feel.

-Elf has nicer packaging to me than some high end stuff

I also wonder why the heck makeup companies package their eyeshadow palettes with little crappy sponge applicators or brushes. The shadows get a bad rep because people try and apply them with these junk applicators...
I agree! And the average non-makeup enthusiast consumer doesn't really know anything about brushes or know what a difference they make! I wish they would include a simple, decent brush with palettes, at least...it wouldn't have to add much cost, a simple eyeshadow brush like the basic one ELF makes would make a world of difference.

I really like sleek, sturdy packaging, but I also like cute and quirky packaging. I'm drawn to fun, retro styled things like theBalm. Basically, anything interesting and pretty.

I always described myself as not caring about "luxe" packaging. But. Even though I'm sure Benefit's new line of lip balms inspired by Benetint will be nothing special, the packaging has me head-over-heals in love. I need it.
@@CheshireCookie and I played with these tonight- there's almost zero pigmentation and they just didn't seem worth almost $20.  We moved on to the Too Faced Melteds pretty quickly from that display hahaha!  If that enables or disenables you in either direction!  I was in love with the packaging too, but I just couldn't with the low low low amount of pigmentation.

Back