Makeup and travel-- how much do you pack?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to pack a little as possible but realistically, I always end up bringing too much. I try to stick with palettes instead of individual eye shadows just to save space. At least one for day and one for night. I also try to consolidate my larger bottles and jars by either buying empty travel containers (they sell them at the drugstore) or a lot of makeup counter salespeople will give you small containers for free (if they're really nice, they'll even fill them with your favorite products for your trip). 

I try to keep up my skin routine as much as possible but also cut back on how many products are involved (ie. I'll use my day face cream for night too). While on vacation my usual routine goes out the window anyway so there's no point in bringing a ton of stuff that I won't have time to use. My most important thing I bring is a pack of face wipes. The only thing I try to be religious about no matter where I am is washing my face and just having a simple face wipe instead of cleanser/toner/etc makes me much more likely to actually do it.

I'm going on a 1 month long trip next month.  I'll bring my travel caboodle thing with all my makeup and toiletries.  

Makeup:

Foundation and beauty blender

1 powder blush, 1 cream blush, 1 stain

Nars El Dorado

Bobbi Brown Peach Bellini

2 MAC eye shadow pots and 1 quad palette

Mineral veil (small travel sized)

mini mascara and eyelash curler

2 shadow brushes

1 blush brush

Then I bring travel sized toiletry items =)

I don't have much makeup, it all fits in the clear train case that Sephora sold with their 2012 sun safe kit. I have a lot of sample sizes, mostly.I don't wear the same makeup every day, but when I travel I do. I carry an Elizabeth Arden quad of neutrals, a few primers/brighteners, a concealer, an eyeliner, a jar of loose powder, and a few lip glosses. My big thing is skin care and stuff to help my hair from getting dried out. I have yet to go on vacation and not suffered from dry and frizzy hair, it happens every time (hotel rooms are like dehumidifiers). I need a regular conditioner, and a leave-in conditioner, and something for before I blow-dry, then I need a styling product, then I need something for after I've styled, and I usually end up wishing I'd brought more. I also carry Avene's thermal water, and baby wipes. For the hotel room, car, and clothes I bring organic/green fabric refreshers. I also bring something to wash clothes so I don't have to waste body wash. 

My case of makeup isn't very big. Probably the size of a small jewelry box. So, I take my entire stash. 

Mascara, one or two pencil eyeliners (actually, one blakc, one of color), and my Ammo palette, powder if it's going to be very hot, my eyebrow powder and that's all. That's probably even more considering when i travel, i forget about makeup.

I take a foundation, a blush, mascara, black eyeliner, primer, shadow compact (or loose samples like from Glamourdoll Eyes), lip gloss, lip stick and I think that's it. I try not to over pack makeup.

I am obsessive about packing light. I hate bringing clothes that I don't wear several times on a trip and am quite willing to do laundry while on vacation to avoid bringing a big bag. As an example I packed for myself and my two boys in one 20" suitcase for 3 weeks in Europe. So, I pack minimal make-up, and it all fits in a very small make-up bag. I have powder, black eyeshadow that doubles as liner, one taupe shadow, a blush, mascara, eyebrow pencil and sharpener, and small brushes for powder, liner, and blush. I am also obsessive about my skin care so I do take my cleanser, daily sunscreen, and night moisturizer, a hairbrush, small travel shampoo and conditioner. When I am on vacation I really don't feel like messing around w/ my hair and make-up - particularly since I travel with my two little boys and the goal is usually to get up and get out of the hotel room as quickly as possible.

If I am packing back to Hong Kong for 1 month or more, I will pack just my favorite concealer and primer, my Revlon colorstay eyeliner in black and black brown, a brush and a couple of lipsticks, then I'd just head off shopping more stuff there lol

If it's traveling within the states, I'll take

A moisturizer with SPF 15

Toner

BB Cream

A gradient blush (they are popular in Asia)

Lip balm

2-4 lip sticks/gloss depends on how many days I would spend there

A neutral palette and some eyeshadow samples in a container I get off ETSY, preferably cream eyeshadow so I can use my finger instead of taking a brush with me

Concealer

Eyelid Primer

Sunscreen with SPF 50+ for body (during summer)

Cleanser

Eye makeup remover

No Mascara because personally I don't like how they sometimes get onto my glasses

I don't really do make up on a daily basis so I don't need to take a lot of stuff with me.

It really depends on where I plan on going and what kind of weather to expect. 

• Mascara - waterproof if it's a beach vacation, normal if not
  • Nude eye shadow palette - pretty much a universal thing to have, I can make dark smoky eyes or a totally natural look with it
  • BBcream with SPF to the beach, heavier foundation with SPF if it's going to be cold and I need an extra thick layer to protect my skin and still look good
  • Lip/cheek stain for the beach; lip gloss for everything else
  • Peach cream blush - for everything
  • Sheer powder - just something to set my makeup

My vacation makeup bag is always small but I always overpack skincare, especially sunscreens! I often return with 1-2 unopened bottles, so my husband always laughs at me when I pack trying to guess which of those will be safely back home in a few weeks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I pack a large makeup bag in that i put foundation,face products, eye liner,lipsticks,glosses, etc.that i keep in my bag and small one that i always carry in my purse.

I usually try to go very natural while I'm on vacation so I bring the following:

BB Cream

Brown eyeliner

A pretty shimmery all over eye color like nudes or neutral pinks

Revlon Kissable Balm Stain in Charm

Chapstick

Sunscreen

It depends on the nature of the trip. If it's a casual getaway-say, just visiting family or a weekend getaway- I just pack the bare essentials (foundation, waterproof mascara, blush, lip gloss and my skincare products). However, if there's a formal dinner and/or party lined up, it's the holidays or if I know I'm going clubbing, I pack the above, plus several eye palettes and a few deeper-hues lipsticks so I have plenty of options for a festive/dramatic look at night.

Originally Posted by hjc682 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm cringing even at the thought of downsizing for travel. Normally, I take my soft case bag, about the size of 2 laptop bags put together. Usually, I can fit all my skin care stuff in my suitcase, but here's the bare minimum Ill take on vacation:

Makeup:

At least 2 kinds of primer

Color correcting pallet 

Concealer

Foundation

Tinted Moisturizer

Powder

Blush

Bronzer

Setting Powder

Fix+

Eyelid primer

A neutral  and a color eyeshadow set

2 Mascaras

Lash Curler

2 eyeliners 

Lip liner/stick/gloss combo that can work with whatever

Entire brush roll (20 something brushes)

Tweezers

Hand Towel

Mirror 

Skincare

Makeup Wipes

Cold Cream

Day and Night face wash

Washcloth(Hotel ones are so rough, and I don't want to stain a family members, my makeup is dark!!)

ACV/Water Toner

Cotton Rounds

Day and night moisturizer

Depending on how long I'm there, Ill take a mini exfoliate and usually a mask if its longer than 4 days. 

It sounds like A LOT, but I have a lot of acne scars and un even skin, I cant just take a powder and a blusher. I need really good medium or all out full coverage all the time. 
I'm not the only one traveling around with a hand towel and a full brush roll! YAY! I have the same skin issues and sometimes I take more than one of everything, I have a day foundation, day blush, day powder and the same stuff but in different formulas for night. I got tired of reaching for something I needed only to find that I left it at home so I take as much as I can. I also pack minis of almost everything in a smaller bag for my purse, if for some reason my main makeup bag gets lost. And depending on where we're going, I might 'forget' something that I absolutely need to 'pick up' at the nearest store... 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Back