MAKEUP DONATIONS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I volunteer at a local christian based non-profit center about 1.5 hours outside of Atlanta GA.  I am currently putting together a beauty/etiquette seminar for the young ladies at this center and I wanted to know if any one knew of department stores or any companies that are willing to donate beauty products for this cause.  These young ladies deserve the best and I'm doing everything I can to give the that.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
smile.gif

I would try contacting companies directly and googling for more info. I know there are a few different organizations that feature MUA who do stuff like this or visiting hospitals to do mini makeovers on sick patients. You could also look for MUAs in your area that might be interested in participating to do specific seminars, ie skincare, work interview appropriate looks...

Yes, contacting companies directly is the way to go. If you are part of a reputable non-profit group a lot of them will donate. You can contact most of them directly off of their websites.

Especially, if you're looking to make a grab bag for the seminar attendants and would like X amount of samples. I think this is a great idea and definitely gives meaning to beauty for a cause!

One more thing, you may want to start with companies that are easily accessible to your attendees, like drugstore brands or big ones that offer makeup and skincare. But definitely contact some prestige brands or even Sephora and Mac? They do sit in consultations and maybe they would offer up some vouchers for your participants? Good luck!

Also reach out to representatives of AVON and MaryKay.  They carry samples most of the time and if you ask them for donations most would be willing to give them away and write them off on their taxes.  Good luck!

Originally Posted by analamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would these companies donate to individuals?

?
Doubtful. You can request samples from a lot of companies. Most don't donate to individuals because they have to write the donations off for taxes. They donate to non-profit organizations.

I would like more info on this also as I am planning to also volunteer my services at my local church. They have a salon and a clothes closet for the underserved in our area. I'm not sure how or what I need to do to do this. They are having "Project Prom Queen" where they are helping individuals prepare for prom with fashion, hair styles and makeup. My friend told me that our local Women's Shelter gets makeup donations from different stores here in town. I thought I was gonna take my own personal makeup to do this but she informed me not to. 

Most companies will not donate to individuals unless the individual has a tax exempt status from the government for tax write off purposes. You can email companies to inquire for free samples and explain to them what you're doing but most will say no.

I found out that I have to supply my own makeup for this event. There will also be over 200 girls there. Sounds like its a "Big Production". I have purchased some things online to get ready but I am really nervous. As I am not a Makeup Artist yet and I haven't done any teenage makeup (since I myself was a teenager, LOL). How long does it usually take everyone to apply full makeup? Will they be requesting lashes and glitter cuz I still haven't mastered these yet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. HELP ME!!!!!

Originally Posted by SHORTY68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found out that I have to supply my own makeup for this event. There will also be over 200 girls there. Sounds like its a "Big Production". I have purchased some things online to get ready but I am really nervous. As I am not a Makeup Artist yet and I haven't done any teenage makeup (since I myself was a teenager, LOL). How long does it usually take everyone to apply full makeup? Will they be requesting lashes and glitter cuz I still haven't mastered these yet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. HELP ME!!!!!
I do believe that's pretty standard in the industry - Vogueboy would definitely know more about that since I don't work those types of events. You will probably indeed need lashes and glitter but I would highly suggest talking to whom ever is in charge of the event or if there is someone one over seeing you on exactly what you should have because nothing like NOT having lashes or glitter in your kit and needing those items.

200. That's a big number. How many MUA's will be working it? Any extras like false lashes and glitter will add too much time to the process. And it's an extra expense that will go to waste. If the organizer is going to donate all the make-up, I would leave yours at home! You're not getting paid for this gig, nor are they giving you a kit fee. Plus they even suggested not to bring your kit. Make-up is expensive. You'll just be wasting it, and where are you going to get the money to replace your make-up from this gig? Expect between 20-30 min per girl. Teenage acne is a witch to cover up. Don't vary the looks too much or let the girls tell you what they want, if you do, expect 60 min for each request. Add that time to 200 girls... Then there are the touch ups that need to be done near the start of the event. With a big number like that, keep things simple, concise, and quick to make things easy for you. It's also unhygienic to use the same brush(es) on different girls. Make sure you have lots and lots of brushes and a brush cleaner to clean them as you go.

Sheredd, you're going to find that it's difficult to find companies that are willing to donate products. You're more likely to find makeup artists who will donate services. I often donate services (such as for arts education, doing makeup for school theatrical productions pro-bono) and I've met plenty of other makeup artists who are willing to do the same. As far as obtaining products go, you said you work for a christian not-for-profit center. I would suggest a bake sale or a pot luck to generate money to buy product. You can get big lots of middle-of-the-line products on eBay. Lots of 12 lipsticks, 12 eyeliners, 12 blushes, etc. You'll find a lot of NYX cosmetics, which are really good, for really decent prices to conserve funds you've raised. That will probably be your best bet.

You should try small cosmetics companies that are just starting out and want to get their name out there. They will be more willing to donate.

Latest posts

Back