Makeup for Photography Help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! So my bf and I are taking pictures together for our 8th year anniversary next week...We want to take color photos since we have mostly black and white or sepia-toned pics. Any suggestions as to what makeup looks best, i.e., smokey eyeshadow? Neutral, smokey, or colorful? Last year, I wore blue eyeshadow and it didn't come out as detailed or as good as I thought it'd look; it looked lighter instead of smokey. If you guys have any pics, that'd be great!

TIA!
smile.gif

I'd go for something neautral so it won't look dated when you look at the pictures in the future.

Or maybe browns. Neautral shades photograph better as well imo
smile.gif

Thanks for the rsponse, magneticheart...

So do you guys think I should go heavier on the eye with the neutral shadow? My eyes tend to look puffy if I don't extend the eyeshadow up towards the browbone...lol. Oh, and "natural" fake lashes, or thick, dramatic lashes? Any tips would be great...we've been taking pics for all our past 7 years, and I haven't been completely satisfied with how I look in them...Should I go darker overall, and contour darker? When I take pics at my house I don't look washed out and kinda flat-looking...but the pics we take always look like that. It almost looks like I have no makeup on...like I just woke up, haha.

I think maybe go for cream colours over the whole lid and then if you like to do an outer v or a shape like you said then do that in a mid toned brown. I'd go for natural looking falsies too. I'd say for the overall make-up a little bit of contouring would be good to give your face a bit of dimmension in the pictures so you don't look washed out. I think if you balance the contouring out with highlighting then your face will stand out and won't look 'flat'
smile.gif

If the photographer uses a flash, it'll wash out your makeup some (it won't look as strong/good as it does in person). If the photographer doesn't need a flash, then your makeup should turn out about the same as it looks in person.
smile.gif
Just something to keep in mind...

I like the idea of a neutral smoky eye, though! Rather than going darker all over, I like the idea of just contouring a little more. I love the idea of some natural looking false lashes as well!

Originally Posted by magneticheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think maybe go for cream colours over the whole lid and then if you like to do an outer v or a shape like you said then do that in a mid toned brown. I'd go for natural looking falsies too. I'd say for the overall make-up a little bit of contouring would be good to give your face a bit of dimmension in the pictures so you don't look washed out. I think if you balance the contouring out with highlighting then your face will stand out and won't look 'flat'
smile.gif
I'll definitely contour and highlight...I don't think I did any of that last year, lol...

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with Katie. I think neutrals will look timeless. Neutrals it is! I think out of all 7 years I did neutrals twice or three times...now that I think about it, those three were my faves out of all of our pics. So, definitely sticking to neutral.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif If the photographer uses a flash, it'll wash out your makeup some (it won't look as strong/good as it does in person). If the photographer doesn't need a flash, then your makeup should turn out about the same as it looks in person.
smile.gif
Just something to keep in mind...
I like the idea of a neutral smoky eye, though! Rather than going darker all over, I like the idea of just contouring a little more. I love the idea of some natural looking false lashes as well!

I'm not sure if the photographer uses a flash...those picture places always use flash, right? But anyway, yeah, I noticed in past pics that the makeup looks lighter on the pic.
smile.gif

I have another question...sorry, guys, I'm so indecisive. So, do you guys think a matte look would look better or slightly dewy on the cheeks?

I do some photography work and in my experience - at least where I live, don't know if it's the same in the Unites States - most photographers use flash so if I were you I'd do as the others have suggested and go a little heavier on the makeup.
smile.gif

I also second the rec for neutrals.

IMO, I think you can do a little dewy/shimmer on the cheeks. This is strictly IMO, but I think the totally matte look can look a little dated, too. So a little bit of glow would be fine - just not all out shimmery because that has a tendency to not look that good in pictures.

Good luck - I'm sure that you will look great in your photos!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by vanja /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do some photography work and in my experience - at least where I live, don't know if it's the same in the Unites States - most photographers use flash so if I were you I'd do as the others have suggested and go a little heavier on the makeup.
smile.gif

IMO, I think you can do a little dewy/shimmer on the cheeks. This is strictly IMO, but I think the totally matte look can look a little dated, too. So a little bit of glow would be fine - just not all out shimmery because that has a tendency to not look that good in pictures.

smile.gif

Thanks for the advice, vanja! I do agree matte generally looks good, but I've also seen photos where the dewy cheeks look very pretty and youthful-- and I want to look youthful, lol!
smile.gif
But like you said, I should probably stay away from too much shimmer, just glow. Would cream blush look oily or glowy?

So, last question you guys...I promise
smile.gif
. So neutral eyeshadow...natural falsies...should I stick to all matte eyeshadow? I was thinking, something neutral and matte for the crease and highlight and a little shimmer on the lids and inner corners.

Be careful not to make your skin too dewy, though. That can come across as sweat in photographs.

What I meant regarding the flash is that if you're having pictures taken outside during the day, the photographer won't need one. If you're getting pictures taken in a studio or outside at sunset or at night, the photographer will be using a flash, so it'll be more important to contour.

My parents are both professional photographers.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Be careful not to make your skin too dewy, though. That can come across as sweat in photographs.
What I meant regarding the flash is that if you're having pictures taken outside during the day, the photographer won't need one. If you're getting pictures taken in a studio or outside at sunset or at night, the photographer will be using a flash, so it'll be more important to contour.

My parents are both professional photographers.
smile.gif

You're right...I could imagine myself looking too shiny, lol. Not cute. It will be in a studio (although it would be so romantic if we took some outside at sunset...)...so yeah I will definitely contour or I'll end up looking flat again.
smile.gif
Wow, so your parents are pros...no wonder you're so talented at photography, Shaundra! I'd appreciate any more tips if you guys have any more!
smile.gif

I'd recommend looks like these ones, the photos im going to post belong to a friend of mine who is a professional makeup artist, [my teacher btw] and the pictures were taken by a professional photographer, makeup artist was her, these colors would suit you really well, and i think would go good with the occassion as well Liz
smile.gif

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z4.jpg

z8.jpg

z6.jpg

z7.jpg

And don't forget to contour, as well as, when you are going to get professional photos taken, you have to remember that the more makeup the better, as the lights and flashes wash out your makeup. You could always wear cool tones combined with warm ones so they show better in your photos, like the ones i posted above, hope the photos help give you an idea
smile.gif

Originally Posted by vanja /img/forum/go_quote.gif I do some photography work and in my experience - at least where I live, don't know if it's the same in the Unites States - most photographers use flash so if I were you I'd do as the others have suggested and go a little heavier on the makeup.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Exactly what i was gonna suggest..These are all great advices!
One more tip that works..try foiling your eyeshadow and go easy on the application...this trick works for photoshoots...

Don't forget to take a photo test and adjust your make up relatively to the lights.

Good Luck..you gonna rock it for sure!

Originally Posted by daer0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd recommend looks like these ones, the photos im going to post belong to a friend of mine who is a professional makeup artist, [my teacher btw] and the pictures were taken by a professional photographer, makeup artist was her, these colors would suit you really well, and i think would go good with the occassion as well Liz
smile.gif

http://makeuptalk.net/%7Egeneralfiles/daer0n/z1.jpg

http://makeuptalk.net/%7Egeneralfiles/daer0n/z2.jpg

http://makeuptalk.net/%7Egeneralfiles/daer0n/z3.jpg

http://makeuptalk.net/%7Egeneralfiles/daer0n/z4.jpg

http://makeuptalk.net/%7Egeneralfiles/daer0n/z8.jpg

http://makeuptalk.net/%7Egeneralfiles/daer0n/z6.jpg

http://makeuptalk.net/%7Egeneralfiles/daer0n/z7.jpg

And don't foget to contour, as well as, when you are going to get professional photos taken, you have to remember that the more makeup the better, as the lights and flashes wash out your makeup. You could always wear cool tones combined with warm ones so they show better in your photos, like the ones i posted above, hope the photos help give you an idea
smile.gif

Oh, wow, Nury!!! You are so awesome, thanks for posting up these pics! I'm saving them right now for reference...
smile.gif
I love these natural looks...the makeup looks flawless and timeless! Not overpowering at all, and the models' faces look made-up, but not too made up. Your friend is a great makeup artist...you both have great makeup skills!
smile.gif
So, apply more makeup because the lights and flashes wash out the makeup...
smile.gif
I love the idea of combining cool with warm...
smile.gif

I was gonna go for natural falsies, but I noticed the pics have pretty dramatic ones and they look so good and still natural-looking, but noticeable..if that makes any sense. I was wondering, do you think the natural falsies would "disappear" in the pics, since the flash tends to wash details out?

You can always wear natural false lashes, she always used one of the smallest ones, i don't remember the brand atm, but the size was 747 xs, extra small ones, and #1, i think the brand was DUO or something like that, but there's some MAC ones that are similar:

This one is similar to the 747 xs that she uses most of the time

M·A·C Cosmetics | 1 Lash

And for a little more dramatic look these ones are also similar to the ones she'd use:

M·A·C Cosmetics | 6 Lash

I dont think the natural ones would disappear in the pictures, they'd look natural but they'd still give you extra volume, enough to show up in the photos but still look natural
smile.gif

If you want to mix nuetral and smokey, i think these types of looks would look nice on you in color pics

Originally Posted by daer0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif You can always wear natural false lashes, she always used one of the smallest ones, i don't remember the brand atm, but the size was 747 xs, extra small ones, and #1, i think the brand was DUO or something like that, but there's some MAC ones that are similar: This one is similar to the 747 xs that she uses most of the time

M·A·C Cosmetics | 1 Lash

And for a little more dramatic look these ones are also similar to the ones she'd use:

M·A·C Cosmetics | 6 Lash

I dont think the natural ones would disappear in the pictures, they'd look natural but they'd still give you extra volume, enough to show up in the photos but still look natural
smile.gif

Ok, great! I'll stick with natural falsies then! Thanks for the input, Nury!

Originally Posted by Liz /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you want to mix nuetral and smokey, i think these types of looks would look nice on you in color pics Oohh!! Those pics look so purty!! Thanks for posting them up, Liz! I think I'll go for a neutral smokey, definitely.

Originally Posted by kbella /img/forum/go_quote.gif Exactly what i was gonna suggest..These are all great advices!
One more tip that works..try foiling your eyeshadow and go easy on the application...this trick works for photoshoots...

Don't forget to take a photo test and adjust your make up relatively to the lights.

Good Luck..you gonna rock it for sure!

You're right, I may have to do a photo test just to see how it'll all look...I wanna see how the outfit looks too. I wish I could do a photo test with the photographer, lol...I doubt they'll let me do all that though. haha.
smile.gif

Back