Makeup HELP!!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I admit I've barely ever used makeup in my life, (mostly because I don't know how) so I need some advice on what brands to buy. I was hoping to accomplish a, "clean canvas," look. I need something that will hide some acne scarring, as well as my pores, but wont look caked on in any type of lighting. I'm not exactly sure of my skin type per se but every time I try to put on makeup it always looks like my face is flaking, so I'm not sure how to solve that. I used to have MAC products but it made my face so oily, and it was so thick... I have a light skin tone. I would like advice on what products to get that are not very expensive, and how I'm supposed to apply them if at all possible thank you.

I take it you have combo/acne prone skin by the way you described yourself in this post. There are a lot of really great products out there from drug store to high end that can help you get a natural look but since you asked about inexpensive products I'll list some should will work for you. (you should be able to find all of these products online, in target, walmart or a local drug store.

All good makeup starts with a clean base so wash your face well before you start and despite what people generally think, you need either a moisturizer OR a primer on oily skin - you don't need both and it's actually not good for your skin to use both, I prefer primers for my makeup and moisturizers at night 

Primer - Rimmel London Fix & Perfect Primer

Foundation - Revlon ColorStay liquid for normal skin (you'll have to try the colors to find what works best for you)

Setting powder - Almay nearly naked loose powder

With combo skin you should avoid applying foundation with a brush because some days your skin could be dry other days it could be oily (the "buffing" of the brush can make you flake) and if you tend to get oily only in "spots" across the face but get dry and flaky in others you are def. combo skin - try using a makeup sponge (at CVS they have a knock off of the beauty blender for $4) wet it and squeeze out the excess water in it before applying your makeup :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> You can also go onto youtube and watch videos on how to apply foundation flawlessly - it will only ever get cakey if you use too much, just work in small sections and blend it in with the damp sponge.

Remember you can always add to areas that you need more coverage but you can't take it off of some areas if you put on too much :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You're welcome, expensive doesn't always mean better. I personally think all powder "foundations" are junk and you couldn't pay me enough to put "mineral" makeup on my skin - there is NOTHING worse for the skin than mineral foundations/veils/powders (mineral shadows aren't too bad)

Hate to trouble you but do you know of any makeup that would stay on even if I'm completely submerged under water? Even if it's a little on the expensive side that's ok. Thank you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

sorry I hadn't checked back before now - It's tax season so I'm working LOTS of hours.

Try Dermablend - their makeup is more on the pricey and heavy side but it's one of the limited few truly waterproof makeup's out there. They do have some that isn't but it should be in the description on each product if it is or is not.

I have oily skin, breakout, and also some skin allegies. It is so hard for me to find concealor that works with my skin, so I feel you girl!

I have been using lately Neutrogena for oily skin. It's inexpensive and it really helps. Its more of a matted look, so for my oily skin there is not so muh shine. Whatever you use you need to make sure it has no shine to it. Since your skin isnaturally oily it will halp contain it.

Also, you put on a moisturizer and primer before hand then aply your concealor, then apply a light pwder. I know its a lot of steps. but if you do it in this order, you will reduce the shine and oil look. Add a blush or bronzer to your jawline and your done!

It will look great girl!

Also, if your just starting out, you might not want to buy a bunch of super expensive stuff. You might end up waisting money. So, before you do that, go to the store and try your look on something more affordable. Lot's of people might disagree with me here.....but for me I have spend tons on makeup just seeing alook I wanted. Then I try it with what they used, expensive, and hated it. You can find something close for cheaper. If you love it, buy the better product and it will look even better...if you hate you only spent a few bucks. Dabble around and see what looks good.

Try this order for oily skin..:

Moisturizer-primer-foundation for oilyskin-light powder-blush or bronzer on cheek bones.

Works for my super oily skin!

I'm going to second Revlon Colorstay -- it's by far the best drugstore foundation I've tried!

My favorite primer is Boots No7 PhotoFix. It works super well, and even though it's a little pricier ($20 from Target), it's completely worth it because with it, a little goes a long way!

And my HG setting powder is the Revlon Photoready translucent finisher. That stuff is ah-mazing!!!

Latest posts

Back