Makeup is oppression.. end of story

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a person that has had acne for most of her life and that has many many scars from it, I have never needed makeup to feel pretty or liked. Sometimes I feel prettier with makeup on and other times I feel better when I just have lip balm on. I have never felt like I can't leave my house without any makeup. To me makeup is another form of expression, just like art, music or fashion. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aquaeyes - keep it civil. Your last post was not validated due to attacking another member. Not allowede
Excuse me? I did not attack her. I did not swear or come down hard personally at her! she did that to me and my country. All I said was that she seemed rather uncanadian bashing Canada the way she did.  Her post was vile and completely off topic and was not constructive.

Originally Posted by aquaeyes77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Excuse me? I did not attack her. I did not swear or come down hard personally at her! she did that to me and my country. All I said was that she seemed rather uncanadian bashing Canada the way she did.  Her post was vile and completely off topic and was not constructive.
Your entire America vs Canada rant has been completely off topic, AND you're still generalizing an entire country.

Okay... Just a reminder that disagreements between members will happen from time to time, that's a given. Let's all keep it civil. So far it has. Thank you everyone. I am just trying to curb the conversation direction from going down the "name calling" road. Okay back to the thread...

I live in a big city in Texas and here some people go all out with makeup and some NEVER wear makeup (goodness knows with the humidity, sometimes you just can't! lol) and when I was young I wasn't allowed to wear much makeup. It wasn't until my 20's that I really started experimenting with makeup and I adore it! As others stated above, it's just freedom of choice. Some love it, some hate it, some don't need it at all, but I'm creative and an artiste and I see putting on makeup as just decorating myself, such as putting together a glam outfit. There are days I'll just wear a BB Cream to even my tone and mascara and others where I go full-faced with some fabulous makeup technique. There are several reasons why women love makeup, not just to cover up. I myself have cystic acne (not bad, just one or two every couple of months on my chin) and I appreciate the fact that I CAN cover it up when I want to! That way I can make other fabulous features on my face really stand out. That's what makeup is really for, for most women, to accentuate features and glamourize them. Always, always do whatever makes you happy :) No one can tell you what's best for you, other than yourself <3

I've spent enough of my 44 years traveling, living and working around the world to know that being labeled as 'un-Canadian' is a good thing. It means I'm not afraid to think for myself. I don't have blind, ignorant loyalty to anybody or anything. Including the country I just happened to be born in. I've also got 20+ more years experience that have taught me a thing or twenty. And I'm still being taught, simply because I keep my eyes open to everything and do my best to see people for who they are what they're about. AND am willing to suck it up and admit when I've been wrong or have changed my viewpoint on any given subject. I'd love for you - or anybody - to explain to me what being 'a good Canadian' means, exactly. I'm sure I'd find it quite amusing. The fact still remains that the use of cosmetics and skin care products is nothing new. Human beings - including men - have been using these products to make ourselves smell better/look better/attract or repel others, for thousands of years. That's not about to change. It will never change. And as my own person, I decide what is and isn't oppressive towards my being. Anybody dictating their own personal beliefs to me - you made a public post stating your personal beliefs that Canadians are superior to Americans and therefore were dictating to everybody out there - especially somebody with less life experience, I will most definitely smack down. I obviously am not the kind of Canadian you are, or the kind of Canadian you personally approve of. I'm not the kind of Canadian who's afraid to speak the truth about the country I have citizenship in. Or any other country for that matter. I don't identify as a ridiculously 'patriotic' Canadian who will lie like a dog just to save face. I identify as a human being, one of billions on this planet, and view the entire world as my 'home'. And I'm not about to defend nonsense coming from anybody, simply because they happen to have been born in the same country I was. Especially when they're spewing ludicrous garbage out their pie-hole. I love my makeup, love visiting the US on a regular basis, do not for a minute believe that my Canadian citizenship makes me superior to Americans, and don't look at Americans as another life form compared to myself. There are a lot of very decent human beings in the US, and the fact is that I meet and see many more decent human beings across the border than I do in Canada. Sad, but that has been the reality since I returned to Canada from overseas. This may change in the future when the majority of Canadians start being less self-absorbed & acting as decent human beings towards everybody, including their own people, in their own country. Canadians could also do with a large dose of honesty when it comes to their country & the manner in which they behave. This country is full of people who ridiculously believe that every nation in the world sees them as 'nice Canadians' - and who walk around like complete DERPS with Canadian flags plastered on their luggage, convinced they're entitled to special treatment because they're NOT American - when the fact is we've got more than our fair share of heartless, unfeeling turds within our borders who have seen very little to nothing of other cultures or countries (spending the winter in a Mexican resort doesn't mean jack) yet think they are far superior to 'ugly-Americans' (you know that many many Canadians refer to Americans in this derogatory, nasty manner).

Sorry to hear that your experience has been such a negative one regarding makeup, but your experience is not everyone's, it's only yours, and it would be beyond foolish for everyone else to ignore their own life experiences just because of yours, same as it would be for you to try to live in accordance with other's values and experiences.

Do what makes you comfortable and happy and we will too.  
smile.gif

Carol

I've been working using a bachelor's degree for around 13 years now in the science industry.  I don't necessarily have to wear make up everyday since I am in a laboratory.  The thing is, when ladies don't put any on, they seem not to care about their careers or how they are perceived in the office.  I know it's unfair; we don't make as much as men do and yet we have to do the hair & make up thing every morning.  Consider it for your future career.  No judgment here; I certainly ditch it on the weekends!

I can see about how makeup can go hand in hand with insecurities and how that relates to someone feeling like they are forced to wear makeup. I've never felt that way and started wearing makeup when I was about 12. Some days I love wearing makeup and other days I leave the house with nothing but a moisturizer on my face. My friend growing up needed to wear makeup every day to school or she couldn't leave the house. She was also called a leather face at school for wearing so much makeup. My dad used to criticize me for wearing makeup and used to say I wore too much makeup. My mom wore makeup almost daily and didn't like to leave the house with out it. I was teased in school for being overweight and my friend  was teased for wearing too much makeup so we made a great pair.
smile.gif
I can laugh about it now as an adult because things like that really don't matter in life. I used to wear makeup to make myself feel better when I was younger but once I got older, it didn't matter. I only wear makeup for me and on the days I feel like wearing it, not for anybody else or for any other reasons. I also buy makeup more than I use only because I like to. I also happen to live in the area where there is a lot of pressure to look good (Orange County, California) if you let that pressure influence you but I could care less. I know plenty of people who do tummy tucks and boob jobs and then plenty that don't care about that stuff. As a mother of 3 children I have a lot more to worry about than my makeup and whether I'm following/staying on trends and looking good. Taking care of my children and keeping our family healthy is what I concentrate on. I also hope to raise our daughter to be strong enough to stand on her own to feet and not worry about being judged for wearing makeup or not, or being overweight or not or for the kinds of clothes she might choose to wear. Nobody should be telling a woman how to dress, what size to be and what kind of makeup to wear if any and if someone tries, I want her to know that she doesn't need to be concerned with that. She can just move on to people who are worth spending time with and don't worry about the outside things. Our daughter is very artistic and likes makeup even though she is only 6. I let her play with makeup because it's an expression of art for her. I also tell her that we are all created different. We are all different shapes and sizes and have different looks. Nobody is better than anybody else for the way they look. Looks don't matter in life, what matter is your character. I tell my kids daily to be grateful for being healthy and to treat others with kindness. If someone is a jerk, let them be jerks and be miserable themselves. As far as countries go, every county is different and all countries have good and bad. I've lived in 2 countries and traveled to many so I've seen how women dress and wear makeup in several different countries. It's a cultural thing for most countries and no country should be put down or raised up for having or not having "trendy or wealthy" stuff. It all comes down to the amount of people. The reason US has so many department stores is the amount of people we have here. No other country in Europe or Scandinavia have that many department stores because there aren't enough consumers. US is very unique in the fact that there are so many people here which open opportunities for businesses to expand and offer makeup and other beauty products in variety of price points.

Fun fact: Men, actually, tend to like better a woman with a natural, fresh face. Of course, what men think is something you shouldn't give a f*** about. There are a lot of stereotypes regarding female beauty, and also male beauty has some of those. You think the nerdy, acne-covered guy with glasses felt really happy whenever he saw boys like him portrayed as the "loser" in every movie? Stereotypes are a reality and they're genderless, but you shouldn't give no crap about those. 

If you felt like you had to wear make up for people to like you, for yourself to like your reflection in the mirror, then I'm sorry your experience was this bad. I don't blame you, I was there once, I made a huge damage to my own body because I felt like I had to be skinny, that everyone would like me then. I was oppressed by food, by clothes, by exercise. Then, like you, I freed myself, I discovered I could be fat and beautiful at the same time, one does not oppose to the other, and my confidence came back. I went back to dress however I wanted to, and now I can hear people calling me "fat" and ignore them because yes! It's true I'm fat, so? I'm also fucking beautiful. 

After this new freedom, I started to actually care about myself, and you know where leaded that? Make up. I was the type of person that would just go inside a 50 cents store in the center of my city, look at a really fucking light powder, any black eyeliner and some eyeshadows. And I would just buy them and use them. I didn't care if the powder matched my skin tone, or if the eyeliner was waterproof, if it was good, what's inside that shit I'm putting in my face. Then I started to care, and started to learn, to play and to portrait myself as someone new, and confident and different. I started caring a lot about my skin, self care and my beauty routine. Now this is leading to food. I slowly care about that coke I just drank at my office (lol shit burnt), and the amount of trashy food. But not in the old way, when I felt horrible for munching a cookie. Now I feel like I want to be healthy, I want my skin to glow and I want to go outside and exercise and do stuff that will pamper my body, and of course I will keep on eating pizza and cookies and having "Saint Seiya and fast food" fridays with my girlfriend, but also I'm gonna have veggies and soups and vitamins and stuff that will make me feel good. 

This freedom I wish it to everyone, but I'm a single person who went through some hard shit and had bad experiences. So are you, and I really hope you are enjoying this freedom. But don't come here and tell everyone how make up was the one thing that made you a prisoner of your own mind, just as I don't go inside fitness and extreme diet websites to say "hey guys stop being so concerned about this is bad" because they might enjoy it, they might be expressing themselves that way, they might be being free just like I am, and if they're not, they'll realize it soon enough, I hope, but I cant just butt in someone else's fun, lifestyle or art form. 

I hope you are really happy now, tho. I hope you go outside wearing whatever you want and with the cleanest, freshest face ever. Nobody gets to tell you how to look, what to wear, who to be. Only you. 

(First post on this site and its a long-ass lecture good job Victoria you started good.)

@@VictoriaBlues

Fun fact: Men, actually, tend to like better a woman with a natural, fresh face.
But their idea of a natural fresh face actually made-up!!  haha.  men don't like the absolute no makeup look - and I don't mean the no-makeup makeup look - I mean, NO makeup.

What men say they like is actually a made up face that looks like skin we aren't born with.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I dont f**** care about what men say.

i had a boyfriend who was a f*** bast*** and said me one day ''why dont you wear makeup like all the other girls?''

and i was very insecure back then and i replied ''i dont know,why?''

SO GIRLS,ALWAYS PUT MAKEUP IF YOU LIKE TO PLAY WITH COLOURS ETC OR IF YOURE BORED, BUT DONT TRY TO CHANGE YOUR NATURAL FEATURES.

i know that many people said "women wear makup because theyre insecure,haha''

no,its not this. Its because people want to create,and want to create this in their face.Its not about insecurity!!!!! OKAY if you have low self confidence before,then you run to makeup.but the problem (in your mind) was there before makeup.

creativity and art is legal.I wish all the people never judge each other.

AND okay, i dont want to seperate men from women, weare all humen and SOME OF US are creative,and love to drawing,painting, makeuping ( ? ) etc. 

I dont see a problem!

Feel free.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience associated with makeup and cosmetics, OP. In my opinion, makeup is meant to be an accessory, just like jewelry, hair, etc. It should never be tied to a woman's self-worth.

Yes, i must add a few words that didnt post yesterday.

For me,makeup was about to give a little extra boost to my self confidence at 19.

but late 19. And it not was about acne. I already have acne since 14. So what?

Acne was frightening at the beginning for me, (common acne) but i used to live with it.

I only put a powder (powder&makeup in one) by manhattan BACK THEN and thats it. A mascara,okay.

I discovered makeup as an art, a couple of years later.All that time ( from 14 to now) i rarely have coverage to my skin.I only put foundation and blush and bronzers etc only in particular circumstances like a wedding of a friend,or Christmas eve, or New Years eve.I never used to put makeup on my face,and other than that,it clogs my pores,so i have to scrub (scrubbing is not recomended for acne prone skin) and clay masks all the time ,in order to protect my skin. So,because i love makeup,i only do eye makeup,which is art by its own.And eye makeup sometimes maybe look strange without flawless skin,but i dont care. This or that people used to see my clear face.

Im now 21,5 (in a few months i will be 22) and my skin is much clear than before.Huge difference.Redness has started to fade,and when it comes to pimples, one or two rarely.

SO,for me makeup is an art and not about imperfections etc.Because all i know is my clear skin and not the makeupy.I do my eye makeup everyday (except of some hot days like these,or when im busy )

and i can say that some times i saw my self a little bit strangely without mascara and eye liner.But its all about how you use to see things,and habits.(i dont know if ''habit'' is the right word to describe it and excuse my english,im not english im just learning them)

Hope we'll have a conversation and hear other opinions!

The same thing can be said about women shaving their body hair... Is it oppression by "The Man" ? (society) or is it a choice? To shave, to wear make-up, to wear that god awful "company required policy" dress code? Or not to do any of these things?  

Yes some people wake up one day and have an epiphany that their routine has been oppression because of their life experiences. So they change it. But is change so bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back