Makeup Palettes, Which to buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Deana Coupar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi!  I am new here!  I see you talking about BH Cosmetics so I checked it out.  Are they really good?  I have a hard time in my head thinking that a $20 palette is as good as or better than an UD palette.  I have never used it so I have no reference.  I do really love the NYX bare palette and think it is as good as UD and 1/2 the price.  I like very heavy pigmented shadows.  I love the bang of an amazing color.  

Thanks for your feedback!

Deana
You can check around and look at different threads. I just did some swatches on a BH palette.

UD is great, but shelling out more money doesn't always equate to better quality. There's gems in every price range and a lot of times, it just comes down to personal preference. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just grabbed the palettes I have to look at the names. I have four different ones:

-10 Color Palette Professional Blush (I get a lot of use out of this one! Very pigmented colors)

-28 Color Palette Neutral Eyeshadow - (I like to mix the colors in this one with my UD Naked 1 & 2 palettes for different looks).

-6 Color Palette Contour & Blush - I love to contour with this palette! 

-120 Color Palette Eyeshadow (5th Edition). Tons of gorgeous matte & shimmery colors in this one! To be honest, you don't need the 28 neutral one if you get this (It has a ton of great neutrals in addition to other colors! I didn't know that before I bought it.)

I also have several of their lip glosses and eyeliners. The lip glosses are very pigmented and not sticky. Their black eyeliners (both pencil and liquid pen) are honestly some of the best I've ever used! I also really like the two brushes that I've tried from there as much as my Sigmax brushes (that's saying a LOT!). I have their large fan brush, and their highlighting brush...both are excellent quality and have not shed on me yet.

I've ordered from BH twice now; they have very fast shipping and constantly run sales. I used promo codes both times and got some things on their "Steal of the Day". They run different coupon codes online depending on the things you might want to order, so a good way to check the current ones is on the retailmenot  website. Hope that helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Wow I never thought about their brushes being that good.  I will have to get a set of those to try too. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Suggestion... just stay away from a full matte palette as mattes are a PITA to work with.
Are you referring to their mattes specifically or do you just feel that way about mattes in general? (I LOVE mattes and was thinking of ordering one of their palettes). TIA!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mattes in general. Mattes are so pretty but such a pain to work with.
Totally agree. Thats why I tend to shy away from them. Also anything with glitter, it always falls all over my face. Thats why my favorite shadows tend to be frosts from mac like swish and electra.

BH and Coastal scents are the exact same palettes. They may have different packaging, but every single shade is exactly the same with the exact same ingredients. I ordered a few, and I don't really like them. Now I only use them wet do to face painting with. They're good for that, but as eyeshadows? Not so much. 

Actually Coastal Scents new palettes are made in house because they were tried of other companies copying them, so the owner of Coastal Scents told Annelle at IMATS.

The 88 and 120 palettes are all mass manufactured private label by the same Chinese company. Maybe the owner of CS was talking about their new lines of palettes (like the Creative Me and other 12 pan mirrored magnetic palettes that they chose the colors for), which seem to be original as far as I know.

I remember reading on a different thread they (CS) were either doing or thinking about doing their brushes in house as well.

Yes. Annelle had the chance to talk to him at IMATS and she was told that he wasn't happy with the quality of the brushes so those are now made by them. Same with the palettes which is why no one else will have the 252 palette because they trademarked it or something like that (much like Ciate did with the Caviar Nails).

Originally Posted by awall18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why are mattes more difficult to work with?
Because the pigments in the talc are harder to move and blend. If not done properly, the shadow will look (have) dark patchy or splotchy areas. Also the edges are difficult to blend or diffuse out and lid creasing is more difficult to touch up. Shimmers, sheens, metallics etc, the pigments are slippery, hence they move easier.

95% of eye shadows that actors wear on non-reality tv shows are mattes. Just like all accquired make-up skills, using mattes takes practice, practice, practice. it's no different than slushing negative molds to get rid of air bubbles or blending away your prosthetic appliance edges, or hiding your hair lace edges, or applying glitter eyeliner. It's ALL make-up and it all takes practice to become proficient at it.

Back