Makeup Starter Kit

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Value Kits" are definitely your best bet if you're just starting out. Sephora has a ton of them and you can try a ton of new products and brands without paying full price. While the stores carry some, the best selection is always on their website. The ones from Benefit usually come with little inserts that give you instructions on how to pull off different looks with the same kit which is really great when you're starting out. The best basic purchase you should have is a great neutral eye shadow pallet. I really love the ones from Bobbi Brown. They can be worn simply for a more natural every day look or more intensely for nighttime. I've never encountered a rude salesperson at the Bobbi Brown counters in department stores so don't hesitate to ask them for tips on the best ways to wear them. 

If your skin is dry, definitely find a great moisturizer since any of the new makeup you buy won't look as good if your skin isn't taken care of. I really like the basic Cetaphil or CeraVe daily moisturizer. It's simple, effective and doesn't break the bank. Once your skin is taken care of, you should get either a tinted moisturizer or liquid foundation (I'd stay away from powder if your skin is dry). 

Another important thing to get is a few good brushes. Sephora Brand brushes are actually really nice and last. They also have sets of them so you can get all the essentials at a discount. 

Originally Posted by captainamanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to Ulta a few days ago and they had the Stila Written in the Stars eyeshadow palette for $12 on sale. It's a nice palette- filled with a mix of 12 matte and satin neutral shadows. I would also suggest a primer, concealer, liquid eyeliner, mascara, and powder foundation. Make sure you get a nice skincare system that removes makeup and will clean your pores.
How is the palette pigment wise? I heard mixed reviews on it and I had to return a Stila travel palette b/c the shadows weren't showing up on my skin.

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How is the palette pigment wise? I heard mixed reviews on it and I had to return a Stila travel palette b/c the shadows weren't showing up on my skin.
It's not as pigmented as other Stila palettes, but it's not sheer. The darker colors are pretty pigmented, but the lighter colors you'd have to apply a few layers in order to get it to be as pigmented. It's still awesome for $12.

Originally Posted by captainamanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not as pigmented as other Stila palettes, but it's not sheer. The darker colors are pretty pigmented, but the lighter colors you'd have to apply a few layers in order to get it to be as pigmented. It's still awesome for $12.
thanks. i tried looking for a tester at ulta but i couldn't find one. i only found a tester for the $39 palettes and the pigment on those is awesome!

Back