Male hair removal

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
kopfkratz.gif

Hey, everyone!

I am considering getting some waxing done- legs & underarms, and am curious about a few things. Firstly, is there any way to make it less uncomfortable? Secondly, does shaving in between lessen the effectiveness?

I'd say a couple stiff drinks would lessen the pain! Lol. I haven't found anything to do that when I epilate... And lessen the effectiveness? I shave between epilating sessions mainly because some hairs will grow back quicker and I'm lazy.. I could just epilate then away too.. I like epilating over waxing because I can touch up areas when ever I want and its not as messy.. I'm not a big body hair fan so most of the year I epilate everything except my face and head...
smile.gif

taking panadol about half an hour before the waxing is supposed to help, and there are numbing sprays you can buy that are supposed to lessen the pain also - I've never tried them though
smile.gif

Suck it up and just DO it
biggrin.gif
hehe

I'm with Rosie on this one, for those who are nervous about pain from waxing, taking some pain killers half an hour before hand is a good idea, it helps dull the pain. As far as numbing sprays and creams, most of them are gimmicks and a waste of time. If the person who is waxing you is a trained professional and using a good quality wax, they'll be doing it so fast you'll won't have time to even think about the pain.

The first time you do something like this it is the most painful. after that you sort of know what to expect. is never painless but it just doesnt seem as bad

I think your level to withhold this kind of pain strengthens over time. After awhile, it doesn't get any less painless but you do get a bit used to ti.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think your level to withhold this kind of pain strengthens over time. After awhile, it doesn't get any less painless but you do get a bit used to ti. Maybe for women but us guys are wuss's when it comes to pain... lol

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd say a couple stiff drinks would lessen the pain! Lol. I haven't found anything to do that when I epilate... And lessen the effectiveness? I shave between epilating sessions mainly because some hairs will grow back quicker and I'm lazy.. I could just epilate then away too.. I like epilating over waxing because I can touch up areas when ever I want and its not as messy.. I'm not a big body hair fan so most of the year I epilate everything except my face and head...
smile.gif
Is using an epilator really super painful? Like more than waxing? I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now, but I always chicken out thinking that I would use it once and then give up. lol.

I'm the same Shaundra, my mom once tried hers on me, apparently i was screaming so loud my dad and brother at the other side of the apartment heard me and came in the bathroom to check up on me. I thought i was going to die of embarrassment ! I could never use that nasty thing after. I think nowadays though i could try, i sometimes use wax on the parts that grow back faster, and the pain is manageable.

Thanks for all the replies!

I have an appointment at 10:30 Monday morning to get my legs & underarms done. I was told that if the hair is between 1/4 & 1/2 inch it is less painful & less likely to break off instead of coming out, so I plan on trimming it before bed. I was also told that Ibuprophen is a good thing to take at least 1/2 hour before, as it is an anti-inflammatory as well as a pain killer. The esthetician will explain all of the after care to me tommorow.
icon_study.gif

Wish me luck!

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is using an epilator really super painful? Like more than waxing? I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now, but I always chicken out thinking that I would use it once and then give up. lol. Lol.. Some areas hurt way more than others... At least for me.. The side of the thigh, stomach and under arms really hurt.. Legs, arms and bikini area not as much.. And it does hurt.. Grab 5 or 6 hairs on your arm with the tweezers and give they a yank.. Then imagine that every few seconds.. But after epilating an area for a minute or two.. The endorfins kick in and the pain seems to kess.. Probably be more enjoyable after a couple stiff drinks!

scream3.gif

Well, I survived! But Wow!!!

I have a whole new respect for what women go through on a regular basis!!

scream3.gif

She waxed my left leg first, just so I could see & feel the difference- then she showed me the waxing strips to prove how much hair was taken off. The backs of my knees & thighs were really tender, as were my underarms. She even cleaned up my bikini line for me for free - it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

I was shown how to exfoliate properly with a loofa, and told to avoid tanning, soap & deoderant for at least 24 hours.

scream3.gif

Now I know what to expect next time

I never really thought pain killers helped very much. Pulling out hairs isn't a normal kind of pain. The actual pain isn't bad at all, but it's more like a jolting jump-out-of-your-seat shock to your system that you have to get used to. Because of that I don't really think ibuprofen does much good. I don't see how any pain killer could help unless you actually numbed the area. But an ice pack helps a little because that numbs. And sedatives really help ... like Ativan, or alcohol, or weed.

My legs and armpits are about the only places I epilate. I don't really have much hair anywhere else. I don't think the armpits hurt much at all -- nowhere near like my thighs. But I guess everybody's different.

According to me It must be stated that no hair removal method is ideal. Everyone is different when it comes to pain toleration, hair growth rate, hair texture, hair color and skin sensitivity. A method that works fine for one may not suit someone else.However, by examining this list you can select the method that is least painful, most economical, and convenient for you as an individual.

Thanks for all the input!

I feel a lot cleaner now & barely have to use any deoderant.

Thanks for all the input!

I feel a lot cleaner now & barely have to use any deoderant.

Back