Man looking for Civil War relics finds a lippie, doesn't know what it is

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tangee is relatively a newer cosmetic company and was established in the early 20th century. From what I've gathered they're a little over 70 years old but how much I don't know.

http://www.tangee.com/ Bring out your natural beauty with Tangee, the orange lipstick that goes on clear and gradually transforms into the perfect shade for you. A secret of beautiful women for over 70 years, Tangee lipstick moisturizes lips to prevent drying and chapping and looks freshly applied for hours. Buy one for your purse, vanity, and office drawer-you'll never want to be without Tangee lipstick. 0.13 oz. tube.

Doing the math based on what it states on the Tangee site it's possible they were established in the 1930s or early 1940s which would put that lipstick in that era but it can be from the 1950s, 60s or even 70s.

The Tangee website states their products are only sold at The Vermont Country Store and on that site it says "The Orton Family Business, Since 1946." It's not as old as Civil War relics but it's still anywhere from 30 to 70 years old.

I love stuff like this!  My Mom found a white gold wedding band carved with roses in the backyard of my childhood home (a Victorian) that I'm wearing right now.  She was gardening and thought it was a nozzle to a hose but rinsed it off anyway and struck gold - literally, lol.  I'd love to be able to research the history of it and have tried and tried to look into it but can't seem to get anywhere solid.  I'll have to go on Antiques Roadshow for goodness' sake!  I wish.  On the other hand I'm also wearing two silver(ish?) rings that my Dad found on the beach with his metal detector at our favorite vacation spot.  I love wearing something from people I love, I have Mom, Dad and husband covered, it reminds me of them everyday and with people that I don't live near like my parents, it makes me smile even though I'm far away.

The wedding band must be at least 38 years old because that's how long my family has lived in that house, my grandparents lived in the house before my parents bought it from them.  I love antique jewelry and like thinking about what kind of woman must have worn this ring in it's previous life.  It could have even been a token to a favorite 'saloon girl' - there are rumors that in the logging days that the house was a house of ill repute.  It also could have been thrown in the backyard from a furious wife in an argument with a philandering husband, or lost while gardening and sorely missed.  God, I hope no one was buried in it . . . just kidding.  I hope.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is so cool!

Thanks!  This post inspired me to continue to research the ring even more, I'm really intrigued and want to solve the mystery if I can.  I'm contacting metal detector enthusiasts with help on how to date rings because I'm sure they find a lot of jewelry that needs to be dated and have some idea on how to figure out the clues that I have.  I've taken it to some jewelry stores but no one could help, I need to find a specialty jeweler I think.  I'd love to find it's matching antique engagement ring with a small diamond to get and make it a set (maybe as a special wedding anniversary present, that would be spectacular and very special indeed) but that got me wondering, did ladies commonly wear sets back then (when??) or just wear wedding bands?  Maybe I should try to go on Pawn Stars and they could bring down one of their experts, lol, although I'd never part with this special ring, unless of course I somehow tracked down the ancestors of the original owner . . .

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!  This post inspired me to continue to research the ring even more, I'm really intrigued and want to solve the mystery if I can.  I'm contacting metal detector enthusiasts with help on how to date rings because I'm sure they find a lot of jewelry that needs to be dated and have some idea on how to figure out the clues that I have.  I've taken it to some jewelry stores but no one could help, I need to find a specialty jeweler I think.  I'd love to find it's matching antique engagement ring with a small diamond to get and make it a set (maybe as a special wedding anniversary present, that would be spectacular and very special indeed) but that got me wondering, did ladies commonly wear sets back then (when??) or just wear wedding bands?  Maybe I should try to go on Pawn Stars and they could bring down one of their experts, lol, although I'd never part with this special ring, unless of course I somehow tracked down the ancestors of the original owner . . .
Since you know who has lived in the house for many decades, have you searched the census records on Ancestry.com for the family names by decade to see if another family member was living there at one time? It was quite common for female relatives to live with extended family if their spouses died, were at war, or left them. (or while they were ill)

Scenario : In 1870 Rose Smith came to live with your ancestors after her husband was killed in the Civil War. She would show up on the 1860 census as a "Widow". Rose could have lost the ring while working a garden.

Then you would search every decade after that (can't search 1890, no census records survived the Federal Fire) to see who lived in this house. If you are very lucky, you might actually tie in with a public tree and find some

old uploaded pics of potential owners of the ring !

My area of expertise would be clothing, but I'm pretty sure most women only wore bands unless they were wealthy .

AND I WANNA SEE A PIC !!!!!

Back to to the OP , Tangee was at it's most popular in the 40's-50's. But that doesn't help much , does it?  I do know there was one certain shade that was the "in " shade, but can't remember what that was. (I'm not actually that old, I just have always been fascinated by vintage items
icon_cheesygrin.gif
)

Latest posts

Back