Mascara that doesn't smudge?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My beloved L'Oreal Bare Naturale has been discontinued :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have been frantically searching for a replacement. The problem is my lashes are fine and refuse to hold a curl, so most mascaras weigh them down, which causes them to rub on the skin under my eye, which causes me to have racoon eyes. I have tried a bunch of new mascaras already, some are better then others, but smudging is still a problem for me.

Any recs?

I like Urban Decay's Cannonball mascara.

If you're having problems holding a curl, you'll need a wax based mascara (these tend to be the "waterproof" variety) instead of a water based formula.  These tend to hold a curl a lot better than water based mascaras do.

I can spend 10 minutes curling my lashes, but the second it gets touched by a water-based mascara, it's like jumping into a shower after you've spent all morning curling your hair.  It gets wet, and goes straight and back down instantly.

Another technique I tend to like is a heated lash curler.  You apply this after your mascara has dried, and it's similar to actually using a teeny curling iron on your lashes.  The pre-applied mascara gets heated up along with your lashes and helps hold it in place.

Just FYI, using a heated lash curler 'after' your mascara, will tend to smudge it and it has the potential for breakage because your lashes are stiff (set) with dried product, and that stiffness is not meant to bend (reset) after-the-fact, Always best to use a heated curler before mascara.

Thank you, those are all helpful tips. I tend to not like using eyelash curlers, just because I am usually in a hurry. And waterproof mascaras are super hard to take off, and I end up ripping out tons of lashes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think some formulas are just heavy and weigh lashes down.

L'Oreal Bare Naturale was a light enough formula where it did not do that, and therefore I was able to avoid smudges with it. It also was relatively easy to take off.

I was thinking of trying another L'Oreal mascara and hoping just because it was same brand it would be somewhat similar, but I can't do any of the fiber ones because those really irritate my eyes. I was thinking of maybe trying the Voluminous one, but I prefer length and not so much volume.

The best mascara I tried so far in my search for a replacement is the Buxom amplified one, it didn't smudge very much, but the formula was too thick, and I don't like those rubber brushes, because I get clumps and my lashes just look goopy and stuck together, so I have to use a spoolie and brush through afterwards if I use that mascara.

Also, the Almay get up and grow gave me the nicest looking lashes, like exactly what I am looking for, nice long separate whispy lashes, just perfect. But it smudges horribly, like it looked like maybe I was crying with it on or something.

Estee Lauder's Double Wear will last. You can apply any mascara before and then apply the Double Wear and your makeup is on the entire day. You can cry or even go swimming and it's still on.

Latest posts

Back