May 2014 No/Low Buy: Support, Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love cheerleader posts like that :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Aren't they wonderful??

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling unhappy in your career, I hope that you are able to work yourself into a direction you'll be proud of soon. Best of luck on your no buy, I hope we can all be here to help inspire you and keep you on track. I need to go on a no buy too, BIG TIME!!!!
Oh thank you, It's just been something floating in the back of my brain for a few years now. Husband and I are both on the same wavelength, but it will take a lot of saving up before we are able to take the jump - I don't see it happening for another year or two, especially since we both want to be able to start a family..if we can make it to where i can migrate organically into self employment after maternity leave, that's what we'll do. fingers crossed, though. We have a lot of work to do until that day arrives.

My plan for May, a day late!

I started a replacement-only no-buy (with a few categories as exceptions...I put all my crazy details in a Spoiler over on the April thread for the curious) in mid-April after going way too crazy at the Sephora and Ulta sales and have been going strong since then. Hoping to stick with it in May! The plan is to keep to it until November this year (again, with a few previously established exceptions!). 

I don't anticipate needing to replace anything this month from my restricted categories. Possibly will finish up my gentle face wash, but I have samples to use up before buying a new one. Everything else I have plenty of!

One replacement thing I needed to buy but hadn't anticipated was mascara. I thought I had one more sample I had to get through before I bought it, but I ended up really not liking the sample, so I placed an order for my favorite. This is an okay purchase to me because it meets the intent of my replenish-only no-buy. 

Here are my planned  purchases for the month:

-A Lush haul (my first ever!). I've been planning this for months, and it is on the allowed list for the no-buy, even though some things will be from restricted categories. It is my reward for finishing up a big work thing! Check! This was smaller than I had envisioned--the girls were great about giving me a few samples of some stuff I wanted to try but wasn't ready to commit to the full on. This was the perfect example of how I should be hauling--plan out a purchase over a month in advance, as a reward for a personal achievement. Not just because it was on sale or because I felt the itch to have something new!

-Birchbox subscription, and allowed to take Julep if I like the colors. Check. Bought Birchbox, although I did do the add-on necklace. But I'm okay with that because I'm already getting a ton of wear out of it. I also skipped Julep. 

-One nail polish (not a restricted category for me). Skipped this, got a few Real Techniques makeup brushes instead (they are also an allowed category). 

-A bronzer for contouring. I only own one bronzer and it is too shimmery for contouring, and I didn't explicitly ban bronzer in my no buy. Going to keep this inexpensive...maybe Nyx? Check! Except I didn't keep this inexpensive--got the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil. It will last forever given how lightly I use bronzer. 

-Sunscreen! Necessary. Debating on whether I should be allowing myself to buy the Sephora Sun Safety kit for my sunscreen purchase (when it comes out)...it feels kind of like cheating on my no buy! Purchased. Combined with the aforementioned brush purchase to get a good Ulta promo, which felt a bit like cheating, but whatever.

-Possibly a candle haul from B&BW if they have a good promo. Skipped this. Realized I really just like candles in the fall/winter.

-A new pair of black flats because mine are destroyed! Fail! I actually bought two pairs and had to return them--neither quite fit/worked. Thank goodness for returns! I'll continue this search next month!

My big goal for the month is to hit pan on ONE color cosmetic. I have never hit pan on an eye shadow or blush! (Granted, I just got into makeup last year, but still). So I'm going to try to focus on a few eye shadows for the month. This is part of the bigger goal of actually starting to whittle down my stash and use what I have before buying more. 

Failed on this, bummer! Will keep trying next month...though I am having the hardest time trying to decide what to hit pan on. The stuff I actually would be willing to use with some frequency are the items I love and thus don't want to actually hit pan on! Hah!
Okay, my self-assessment in red above! The thing that is NOT captured there is that I did not do so well on non-makeup purchases. I bought a purse, two tops, and some (inexpensive) jewelry. Not specifically on my no-buy, but not in the spirit for sure! I also ate out a lot more than usual. I'm going to add some rules for June to try to curb these habits as well (and to reflect a changing financial circumstance!).

One other thing I made good progress on in May was starting to take inventory of everything. I got through all my skincare and hair care stuff and want to move on to my makeup in May. For skincare it is particularly helpful--I know I need to use up whatever is on my inventory list for a particular type of product before I buy more. I was surprised to realize there are some categories where I have NO back ups (cleanser!) and some where I have soo many (face masks). I imagine it won't be as helpful for makeup though, because I know with eye shadows (for example), I will certainly buy more before I use them all up! But some categories (concealer, BB cream, powder, etc.), it will be helpful to have the list I need to work through first. 

I also aggregated several boxes of samples/promos that I need to sell on eBay. I've had decent luck with this before--it is a good way to get the stuff OUT and get a few bucks back in my wallet. Waiting until mid-June to sell because I have some work travel over the next couple of weeks and would be challenged to get to the post office. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I FINALLY cancelled Ipsy. I was close to redeeming points but I figure that I never get too many referrals anyway so I just need to cancel now. I do love those butter glosses though but I need to save that $10 a month!

I think I did pretty well this month.  I only made one random purchase from Sephora.  Well I actually made two orders but one was for a mother's day gift so that's excluded.  The order I made for myself was really unnecessary.  I think I just felt like buying something because I haven't bought anything from Sephora in a while.  I have been doing good recently though.  I've been seeing a lot of things that I want but haven't been buying anything for myself.  The Lush Kitchen on the UK site has been seriously tempting me though.  For the past two days I had my cart ready to go and started the check out process.  Both times I ended up just closing the window.  I really don't need anything from Lush right now but the Kitchen items are so tempting to me.  I love the idea of some of the products they have been coming up with.  It doesn't help that I love buying body wash and Lush's are among my favorites.  On to June!

I think I did pretty well this month.  I only made one random purchase from Sephora.  Well I actually made two orders but one was for a mother's day gift so that's excluded.  The order I made for myself was really unnecessary.  I think I just felt like buying something because I haven't bought anything from Sephora in a while.  I have been doing good recently though.  I've been seeing a lot of things that I want but haven't been buying anything for myself.  The Lush Kitchen on the UK site has been seriously tempting me though.  For the past two days I had my cart ready to go and started the check out process.  Both times I ended up just closing the window.  I really don't need anything from Lush right now but the Kitchen items are so tempting to me.  I love the idea of some of the products they have been coming up with.  It doesn't help that I love buying body wash and Lush's are among my favorites.  On to June!
Ugh Lush Kitchen is tempting me too!!!! Luckily for me though, the things I normally want are sold out. So if I REALLY wanted them then I'd have to get up super early in the morning to buy them & thats just not happening. And one can only have so many shower gels & bath bombs lol. 

Lush Kitchen always being sold out has helped me as well!

Overall, this has been a good month for me makeup and skincare buying-wise.  Since I declared my replacement-only no buy earlier this month, the only non-replacement items I purchased were two Julep mystery boxes and a new powder brush.  I think next month I will work on expanding my low-buying ways into other areas of my life as well.  On to June!

Can I vent here for a second? I feel SUPER stressed about the Midsummer Nights swap I'm in. I feel like my gift pile for my girl is not enough... I haven't really bought anything beauty related for myself and this swap is making me realize how QUICKLY $25 can go. I've definitely shopped the hell out of my stash, used BB points, swapped, and spent the $25. But I feel like... I feel like I gotta keep up with others. I know that's not the point and I'm sure my girl will love her gift but I just feel really stressed.

I have a $25 ulta cart lined up (half stuff for me half stuff for her. BOGO50) but for some reason I feel like its wrong to pull the trigger on this... I don't know why I feel this way!

Can I vent here for a second? I feel SUPER stressed about the Midsummer Nights swap I'm in. I feel like my gift pile for my girl is not enough... I haven't really bought anything beauty related for myself and this swap is making me realize how QUICKLY $25 can go. I've definitely shopped the hell out of my stash, used BB points, swapped, and spent the $25. But I feel like... I feel like I gotta keep up with others. I know that's not the point and I'm sure my girl will love her gift but I just feel really stressed.

I have a $25 ulta cart lined up (half stuff for me half stuff for her. BOGO50) but for some reason I feel like its wrong to pull the trigger on this... I don't know why I feel this way!
The gift you have for your girl is perfect! Everybody in that swap would love anything they get. We're just so excited having someone spend the time to learn about us and give us something that you think is perfect for them. Don't get stressed out, it's supposed to be fun!!!

I have caught myself feeling the same way. Don't buy more. I know that any gift you are planning to give to your girl will be thoughtful, and that is all that matters. I also know that anyone in the group will love whatever you have to send. Stick to the limit. It's not about keeping up with everyone else - but I do know the feeling. Plus, in the end you will feel better because you won't have overspent. And, most importantly, don't stress about it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've started stressing too, but then I put everything I have so far into a box, looked at the rest of the orders I have coming, and realized I've hit almost every category on her wish list.  I keep thinking it's not enough, but I *know* it is.  For budget reasons, I'm trying to keep everything within a large-size PO Flat Rate box. (Sorry, no 15-lb boxes from me!  Then again, my FGC didn't request anything heavy, so I'm good!)  I think once I have everything wrapped, packaged, and into the box, it will be filled. It won't be filled with just gifts, I'm going to obsessively wrap everything (with a roll of cute princess-y paper I found at the dollar store), and I found a cute card, and I'm pretty sure she'll be happy.  But then I look at the reveals from the holiday SS and I get anxious all over again.

Hopefully just knowing that you're not alone in thinking "it's not enough" helps you.  But at some point we're going to have to stop shopping and shove everything into a box!

I'm doing everything I can to keep my out-of-pocket spend to the limit, but I do have a *lot* of stuff from subs and GWPs I can include and, as an added bonus, clean out my apartment a bit! That helps me feel a bit better about not going overboard as far as shopping goes. And I really want to rush in and tell my godmother DO NOT OVERSPEND! I *still* feel guilty about the amazing present I received for Santa '13. I really, *really* hope most of those things were "well, it's just sitting there on my stash, so I might as well send it to someone who *wants* it." My dreamlist is long, but I intended it more as "here are a whole bunch of things I would be thrilled to get, even if it's just one of these things! And also, putting these things on this list means I cannot buy them!" It's kind of a combination dreamlist/low-buy rules list.

I think your girl will love whatever you give- the reveals thread is super stressful, and I'm trying really hard to stay close-ish to my budget!  I'm going with the "thought that counts" mentality over sheer quantity.. there's just too much otherwise!

Thanks guys for all your kind words!! I think I was overwhelmed because my Santa from 13 spoiled me. Like literally bought every single item on my wishlist and then some. I am incredibly grateful for that but it makes me feel like what I'm giving isn't "good enough".

I did manage to tackle a good bit of my girls list and shopped my stash and have not gone over budget (although the value is definitely there!) I think the thing that's bothering me is how small everything is... Yanno? Like a eyeliner doesn't take up much room.. But sure as hell takes up a majority of the budget, for example.

I will definitely be mindful of shipping and I think the "many little things" is a blessing. I have a cute tin that wil fit into a flat rate box and it's light so if I don't go the flate rate route I can always just PayPal ship it. I'll take the weekend to wrap and make the fun thing I want to put into the box then hopefully I'll feel officially done! Too bad we don't ship til July!

@ you CAN send your gift early if it will help you not spend!

As far as the spoiling thing goes, I did both exchanges (regular and nail) last year and my Nails SS *beyond* spoiled me (thankfully she explained that she was doing a "one for me, one for my SS" approach or I would have felt really guilty!) and my Regular SS stayed within the budget and sent me a small box of items that were very carefully chosen from my wish list. I loved BOTH. I think we get too caught up seeing the people who sent Naked 3 palettes and Butter London polishes (which is AWESOME if you can afford it!) and forget that the whole point is to make someone's day a bit brighter!

Totally understand it being stressful. This is my first one and I'm already trying not to worry too much. I keep thinking though like "what if I get someone who's only into indie brands and I've never bought a single indie thing in my life?" Or "what if I get someone who likes 'clean' scents, but we have different interpretations of 'clean' and she hates it"? Then I feel like I have to buy a million things so hopefully she'll like one of them and then suddenly I've spent a bazillion dollars.

I think it's human nature to worry but then I think "ok even if I got a box of stuff I didn't think smelled good or was from a random brand I never heard of, would I be upset?" And I wouldn't. And everyone participating seems to have the same mindset. So I'm trying not to worry ton much.

@@BSquared If you do end up getting someone who only likes indies, please feel free to reach out to me!  I not exclusively into indies, but I am extremely familiar with a couple of brands (and obsessed with a certain indie perfume company with a *very* extensive catalog.  I've probably tried well over a thousand of their scents over the years) and working on expanding that familiarity to other brands, and I plan on going exclusively indie as far as my purchasing goes aside from subs (and several of my subs are indie subs already!), a small essence trend edition allowance (because sometimes I just need a small makeup treat *right now*), and bb cream next year.

But the big thing for me is that I already know my godmother has been putting thought into *me* based on the PMs I've received from fairies, and that alone give me warm fuzzies.  (I had a Santa one year that bought me stuff almost entirely off my DO NOT WANT section, but she did pick up a few things off my OH YES PLEASE section.  That was weird, awkward, and confusing and made me hesitant to join another one, but I did, and the second one was awesome.)  Really, as long as it's obvious that you *thought* about it, she should love it!  (And if she doesn't like something that you clearly put thought into, I'll get snarky for a minute:  The problem might be her, not you.)

It looks like you're doing Summerswap, so you don't even have your person yet, but it might be a good idea to start mapping out a game plan and figure out some questions to ask through the roadies.  That helped calm me down this time around.  Planning *always* calms me down, except for Thursday when I was planning out my workday for Friday (I had a *lot* that had to get done, preferably by 4pm, and I didn't realize just how much until I listed it out and prioritized it!).  I had *no clue* what to get for Secret Santa because my person had a super vague list, but we didn't have a system in place for helper inquiries, so I was lost.  This time should be different, even with a vague list.  For example, you mentioned being concerned about what to do if she says she likes "clean" scents but doesn't go any further than that.  The roadie inquiry could be "What are your top three favorite perfumes?  Top five favorite notes?"  That will give you more information to work off of.

This time around for the Midsummer Night's Dream exchange, we learned an important lesson from Secret Santa about what we wanted out of the exchange and set up the helper system.  So during the signup process for Midsummer, I thought, "Okay, I don't want a repeat of what happened last time with not having a clue what to get.  So.  I have $25 to spend.  Where can I buy things from places I like to give my money *and* get the biggest bang for my buck?  If my goddaughter has a super vague list, what can I ask so I can order things from these places?"  (And then I ended up with someone who had a semi-vague list but whose interests align so perfectly with mine that I'm not really doing any *shopping* as far as looking around and spending hours debating what to get are concerned!  I'm just ordering things that I would buy again in an instant if those particular items vanished from my collection.)

Honestly, the "what if we have different interpretations?" thing is one reason why I have a hard-to-impossible time shopping for other people without an explicit list of "this item in this shade/scent/etc."  My goddaughter doesn't have an explicit list like I would usually want (I'm talking about something that goes down to brand and shade, like "Maybelline Color Tattoos from the Bleached Neons collection and benefit Hervana blush."  I usually panic without direction like that!), but her "I like xyz list" is so similar to what I like (plus there's also a comment in there somewhere that indicated to me that she doesn't already have items in those categories, so they wouldn't be dupes) that I'm actually going with a "Well, I already have and love *this*, so I'll just order one for her, and then she'll have something I already feel comfortable recommending, and then there's the added bonus of *not* doing the one-for-me-one-for-her approach."  

(I feel like I'm doing a don't-go-overboard-and-stress-out-on-the-gift-exchange intervention here instead of a don't-go-overboard-and-overspend one!  We will definitely be there in the June thread for support on this if you need us!  Remember:  The exchange limit is $25.  If she's disappointed that you "only" spent that much, she's expecting too much, and that's on her, not you.)

@@meaganola great advice! I would love to be your FGC (or Summerswap pal) because you definitely dive into a section of make up that I never have/am too scared to do!

@@BSquared part of the fun of our discussion thread is to get to know the group! Feel free to ask some questions there and everyone who reads it hopefully will pipe up and answer. If your buddy doesn't answer, feel free to go through me once you get your assignment! I loved my Secret Santa girl because her list was essentially - I like this, this, this but I would be MOST excited if you gave me a box of YOUR favorites. Luckily, we had the same skin type and fairly similar interest in terms of color families. It was easy to hunt down minis/samples in my stash and use that $25 with coupons to make it go far. She loved it! And like Meaganola said, if she's unhappy you *only* spent $25, that is not on you - you followed the rules.

Feel free to bring this up (and anything else!) in the Summerswap discussion thread! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back