May 2014 No/Low Buy: Support, Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 April was not a good month for me, I bought some palettes that I needed like a hole in the head.

For May I can have:

Ipsy

BB

Lip Factory

Circular Swaps

That is all I'm allowing myself. I plan to stick to my list until time to shop for Midsummer Dream and Secret Santa. Basic hygiene items can be replaced (of course) such as toothpaste and deodorant. No shampoo or conditioners until all my sample packs are gone.

I used a code to get 1st box free from Beauty Box 5 but will cancel once it gets here. I need to stick to it and use up stuff from my stash.

Last edited by a moderator:
My low-buy was thrown slightly off track by accidentally getting my Julep box -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Not thrilled by this, that is not something I want to spend $20 on this month. I had changed my billing information to something incorrect, which previously worked for not getting charged, as I posted on another thread, but someone apparently had the bright idea to try my previous (correct) billing information today...I called and cancelled my account for real, but I can't very well complain about this charge since I was trying to circumvent their rules anyway.

To make up for it, I returned a $23 blush to Ulta that I'd been considering taking back anyway because it wasn't lasting very long on me. But then I spent $6 at Target....however, using coupons + a $10 gift card, I only spent $6 out of pocket and I got a Revlon lipstick, Revlon concealer, Maybelline Color Elixir, L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadow, and a box of crackers. The total was $30 before the gift card and coupons! So even though I spent money on makeup, I'm still pretty happy with that purchase. 

So far in May, I have spent $40 on beauty (stupid Julep) BUT I have returned $27 worth of beauty products (I also returned a powder to Target that was too dark for me) so my net beauty spending (enabler logic, here we go!) is $13 so far. Have to do better for the next 26 days!

Doing good on day 6 of the no buy. I hit pan on a blush this morning and yesterday finished a Geek Chic Cosmetics sample size eyeshadow after 2 weeks of use. Those indies really know how to give you good portions.

Doing good on day 6 of the no buy. I hit pan on a blush this morning and yesterday finished a Geek Chic Cosmetics sample size eyeshadow after 2 weeks of use. Those indies really know how to give you good portions.
Yup. I wish I had noticed the GCC samples before I ordered the Timey Wimey set (I somehow completely overlooked the existence of the samples until after I ordered) because I do *not* need full sizes of everything, but at least I know now and can shift to samples only unless there's a tin set.

Hi guys! I' m Marcela!

I have a really hard time NOT spending... since I work at SiJCP :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So I always say "oh with my discount it's okay".. but seriously enough is enough..

I had a budget of 50 this month (not counting my Birchbox and Ipsy), but I ordered the allure beauty box... so I'm at -$10 on my budget and it's only 5/6 lol! 

:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

failed so badly.

spent $62 on the stila sale and $30 on the balm sale.  oooppss.. I don't feel as horrible as I thought. I definitely didn't need what I picked up but everything has been on my list for a long, long time. So, eh, why not get it during a sale?

I just got a job offer from a company I applied to on a whim. I will be hearing from the company I am currently interning next week about the outlook for full time employment. I know I shouldn't spend money I don't already have but..eeeh, there's like NO reason why I shouldn't get brought on full time. I'm pretty excited about the place that did offer me a position already (because, yay! its a job where i get money!) but its about $15,000 less than what I am currently making if I were to scale up my internship rate to full time hours...so yeah. that part is kinda crummy. On the overall, everyone wish me luck that I can *finally* get the dream job! (and then control myself and not go on a shopping spree lol)

failed so badly.

spent $62 on the stila sale and $30 on the balm sale.  oooppss.. I don't feel as horrible as I thought. I definitely didn't need what I picked up but everything has been on my list for a long, long time. So, eh, why not get it during a sale?

I just got a job offer from a company I applied to on a whim. I will be hearing from the company I am currently interning next week about the outlook for full time employment. I know I shouldn't spend money I don't already have but..eeeh, there's like NO reason why I shouldn't get brought on full time. I'm pretty excited about the place that did offer me a position already (because, yay! its a job where i get money!) but its about $15,000 less than what I am currently making if I were to scale up my internship rate to full time hours...so yeah. that part is kinda crummy. On the overall, everyone wish me luck that I can *finally* get the dream job! (and then control myself and not go on a shopping spree lol)
Congrats on the job offer!! And the shopping isn't so bad, at least you got an awesome deal and I'm sure you got some fabulous stuff :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Congrats on the job offer!!

6 days in and holding strong!! Resisted the balm sale, didn't even look. So far so good.....but I'm also CRAZY broke after getting my hair done and fixing my car last week so that may have something to do with it haha

Triple points + Ulta just started carrying Jungle Queen lipstick + $25 free shipping + NYX on sale means I made a lippies order. That's borderline breaking my no/low buy, but I did make allowances for specific lipstick situations. And Jungle Queen has been on my wish list since the minute I found out it existed.

I resisted theBalm sale, though! I want their blushes SO BAD, but I don't need them, and I'm sure there will be another sale soon enough. Or they'll be on Hautelook. Or people will be swapping things they bought from the sale.

Okay, I'm on a no-buy like for realsies.  I had my fun at Ulta- no more willy nilly purchases.  I just upgraded my phone and had to get the extra upgrade because my school is recommending more memory than I normally have (32g- it'll be nice I think.), and I'm planning three weekend trips!  NO BUYING THINGS FOR ME!

I have been holding on strong! No makeup or skin care purchases for me since I declared my no buy.

No money spent so far!! Doing good. I've been too busy and/or tired to even think about shopping. I resisted the balm sale, even though I've been lemming for their blushes for a while. After my spending catastrophe last month, it's been very easy to resist things. It's interesting. I splurged large after a long time of not being able to shop, but now I'm like "eh". I did get my planned for pigments last paycheck at the end of the month, but so far I've been good.

Jess, congrats on the job offer! Hopefully good things are on the horizon.

Today, I successfully closed the beautybrands site down before ordering something I didn't need. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

One thing that is helping me on my no-buy (at least for now) is reserving some new items back. I did a wayyy too big haul in the Ulta/Sephora sales in April, so I had plenty of new pretties that came in. I swatched most when they arrived, but then I sorted them into my stash and didn't put them into the rotation right away. I'm only letting myself use one new thing a week. So far it is working! I look forward to picking out my new thing each week and it is helping me actually appreciate the stuff I bought. 

And I set aside a few brand new-to-me samples (including a lip gloss sample and a Stila shadow card) from those orders too in a special little bag tucked away. That bag is for when I am really getting the itch to spend/play with new pretties. I can pull that out and viola! 

Welp. One week in and I'm doing terribly!

I bought my GT like I said I would (I even convinced myself to get the $49 instead of the $149, yeah!). No problem. But at the SAME TIME, I bought two Memeboxes, neither of which were the exception to my NO MEMEBOX rule (which is if they release an SPF box). So that's $53. I waved it off by saying that if I didn't buy these two Memeboxes I would have bought the $149 tote instead. Which probably would have been true, and so I still "saved" myself $47 from what I planned.

But then I had to buy a textbook for school. $100 down the drain. Not even including tuition, which I'm not getting a loan for this summer semester. (I'm... procrastinating on paying that off.) I also realized that I need to get a $20 item for my lab, which I'm getting tomorrow. All of this wouldn't be so bad, except... Paula's Choice had a sale today. I won't say the details so that you all don't fall into the same trap. But let's just say that $60 later, now I'm here!

Good news is that I ended up getting a refund for a prior purchase from the GT trading group PLUS I sold something from my April tote. And my parents are graciously going to help out with my trip to see my boyfriend later this summer, so I won't have to worry too much about that (the assumption is that I pay for my tuition out of my own pocket).

Aughhhhhhhhhhhh. Addiction is a terrible thing.

Mac just launched their malificent collection.

I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. 

i've been eyeing the other collection with the water droplets on the packaging...but then they announced a simpsons collection in the fall!!!!! so i'm holding out for that!

My best friend just got the UD electric palette and I have been eyeing it up so much. I decided that if I don't buy any makeup this month and I make it on the dean's list again this semester I will buy it next month as a reward.

i've been eyeing the other collection with the water droplets on the packaging...but then they announced a simpsons collection in the fall!!!!! so i'm holding out for that!
Me too and I don't even love any of the colors, I just think the packaging is adorable. Must....resist....

Mac just launched their malificent collection.

I don't own any of their products and I'm extremely glad that I feel underwhelmed by this collection... otherwise I would be sending you empathetic vibes over the interwebs.

I told myself that I'm going to allow myself to buy 1 lipstick and maybe 1 eyeshadow from Alluring Aquatic in June (if not for myself, I can at least buy a lipstick for my mom to feel less guilty... and I'm not gonna lie, I only want it for the packaging).

So far I've resisted the Balm flash sale and the stila sale (and resisted all of the 20% off coupons at sites that have the Too Faced A La Mode palette).

However...

Geek Chic Cosmetics just came out with a Color of the Month called Pretty Guardian (it's pink and Sailor Moon themed) and I love the sticker! The site says the color will be gone June 1... so I think I'm going to let myself buy this on Monday, May 26 (Memorial Day)

Why did GCC have to come up with a CotM that is reminiscent of my childhood when I'm supposed to be on a low-buy!?

Latest posts

Back