Menstrual Gift Baskets??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by smashinbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the idea because I had a mother that just threw a pad at me and never told me (excuse my french) shit about PMS or my cycle or anything I had to find out everything on my own. 

So, I support this idea. if it came with some book with info about PMS and important info. 

I was the same way. So was most of the girls I know. I had to find beinggirl.com to tell me what I needed to know. I've been using kidshealth.org lately which has a more scientific way of putting things. I felt intrigued so I definately want to share the knowledge. I am really trying to keep this from being an offensive or gross thing. Keep in mind that until now I have only gotten feedback from friends of mine that are in the same boat as I am, with bad cramps, unpreparedness, and never learning the truth from parents. I am really sorry if this sounds offensive to anyone in this forum but I am only trying to think of ways that I can help girls and women alike feel better and more comfortable with their knowledge of their bodies. I wasn't trying to sound like I was calling all girls and women stupid for not already knowing or that I would have a girl (during her first period) a huge obnoxious basket with tampons as decorations:) Just want to put my need for helping others into good use.

The only thing I would enjoy receiving for my first period would be a really huge gift card to Sephora or some really nice store. The information is out there for teenage women to retrieve should the curriculum in school or family physician fail to teach young girls about periods.

It's a great idea for young girls, as a sort of initiation kit because the very first time you may be embarrassed by the variety of pads and tampons. And although i was well prepared by my mother, i still liked doing research on my own and buy these things for myself so in that regard, i would have bought something like that.

On a side note, for the bad cramps, go to a herbal store and buy some lemon balm (melissa officinalis for the latin name), and brew a pinch just like you would with tea. It's antispasmodic so it helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> You can also use evening primerose oil (as a supplement) to help regulate your menstruation.

I do still think this is a pretty good idea, it's just how do you convince people that you are offering the right information that they need, without offering it for free, like having a copy of it in your ebay listing so that it can be read beforehand. I think then instead of ordering your basket they might just copy off your booklet/pamphlet and make their own basket. I guess that might not be a totally bad idea if you just want to get the info out and not make any money off your idea. In other words, just put your info out there on your blog/website and create a basket and take photos of it and give instructions on how to make your own and then leave a link if they would prefer to buy a premade one from you anyway?

I wouldn't have minded getting one of these from my mom, as long as she didn't make a big deal of it, like if she bought it and just left it in my room for me to discover.

i persanolly would freaking LOVE these but then again i am REALY open about my period compared to most girls my age(12-14) im 13 and ive had mine since i was 8 but really like someone said "just left it in my room for me to find" would be awesome and i most definatly disagree about "the cute pads/tampons being pointless" well i personally love for the first three days to take tylenol/advil + pepto bismol/gravol because i puke and not eat but for the other 5 days of it i love doing girly things my nails facials anything that makes me feel feminine or clean so the "cute" ones are an awesome idea as for the chocolate and menstrual book i think it could go without BUT i think just putting a little notebook to record there cycle and things like that i think its better than having a book on "female menstruation" i find that awkward like its intimadating the medical words and stuff we do need to know like our uterus and overies and all that jazz but call it something else and find stuff that makes it feel like its chill not science class and the wipes those make me personally feel dirtier when im on the rag because you feel wet and kinda like "OMG IM LEAKING!" feeling to who ever said i already have a purse i think she was meaning more so a little makeup bag of somesort am i correct? thats what i would do if im not correct because my mum when i got it my mum took me to the store because i only had one of her huge ass pads  what i thought was a maxipad  which is actually a smaller pad than maxis (ive NEVER used a maxi and NEVER will but ive seen them) i was only 8 so i had a little body! lol

bottom line great idea! just modify it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> good luck

ps ebay is kind of a weird idea id go more street market local ads on the internet stuff like that!

I'll make couple if I were you and just sell it and see if they sell. Who care what people think as long as you make money go for it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As a mom of three daughters I actually think it's a good idea to make these little "gift bags". Kotex, Always and Tampax (can't recall if the other companies also do it) have similar packages to give away on their websites. Typically these contain either a pad or a tampon and pantyliner. Sometimes they contain all three. I've ordered (for free) from Kotex's new "U" line when they were giving them away along with Always. I know there's another one that still has the offers... Found it, good thing I keep the vast majority of my emails - Being A Girl.

http://www.beinggirl.com/LocaleData/en-US/Assets/Newsletters/1107/web.html?utm_source=BG_NL_July11_allages&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monthly_newsletter

With my daughters I explained to them what a period was, what it meant, what not having one could mean. I talked a bit about sex (since they have younger brothers they're aware of what a penis looks like). I talked about using a pad and/or tampon but if they were to use a tampon, as I don't believe that using one no longer makes you a virgin like my mother, I talked that if you use a tampon it must be changed often to avoid getting a blood poisoning. I also talked about cycles and keeping track because I don't want to hear the, "I didn't know I was going to have my period... I need pads!" at 11 PM at night. Each one has their own stash of tampons, pads and pantyliners.

I readily admit I'm a "weird" person because I'm not so secretive about periods like other people. It's like the worlds dirtiest little secret that everyone knows.

i think it's a good idea! and honestly, i remember i was so excited when i got my first period. i remember where it was and when, and i remember running into the school's nurse's office and asking for a pad. i had no idea people were so sensitive about this topic o_O

also, i have an older mom (i'm 21 and my mom's 65), so when i got my first period she was hesitant/awkward about explaining everything to me, and told me i shouldn't use tampons cause they're dangerous and all. i kind of had to pick all that stuff up from friends and teachers, same went for "how babies are made" lol. my mom's not conservative at all, just.. you know. AWKWARD.

i think those kits could really help some.. well.. "awkward" parents that might be feeling weird about explaining all that stuff. also, if there is info included (which you are planning on including) it could be great for girls that are self-conscious about their first period. if they don't want to talk to mom or dad about it.. no biggie, here you go. everything you need with info, ask us if you have questions.

does that make sense? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

also, i have an older mom (i'm 21 and my mom's 65), so when i got my first period she was hesitant/awkward about explaining everything to me, and told me i shouldn't use tampons cause they're dangerous and all. i kind of had to pick all that stuff up from friends and teachers, same went for "how babies are made" lol. my mom's not conservative at all, just.. you know. AWKWARD.
My mother was the same way, I think it's part of their generation to think tampons are bad.

I love this idea!!! My daughter actually just started her first period and i was researching what i can do for a gift basket for her!!

I'm obsessed with beauty subscriptions. I haven't subscribed to it but I know that www.goodandlovely.com offers a lovely box that can be a monthly or gift subscription. It's not as personal as a hand made basket, but it's another option. It's about $14/month that includes items such as teas, chocolate, and aromatherapy products to help during that time of month. For an additional cost you can also add heat pads, midol, etc.

I would have loved one of these when I first got my period. I was on vacation, on the road when it happened and my mom was basically like, "Here, have a pad" and then nothing. I didn't even know where to put the tampon in until I was embarrassinly 18 years old. I never had sex ed though and my parents never did the birds and the bees talk either.

As an adult? No, I would be weirded out that someone was thinking about my period enough to make me a gift basket.

I agree, it would be a good idea for those who just got their period. But then again, I am pretty sure most of them wouldn’t buy a basket like that or get their parents to buy it, since a lot of girls feel slightly embarrassed in the beginning. I am 19 years old now and would literally feel humiliated if I got such a basket for my birthday or so. Not because I'm embarrassed about my period, but in my age it would be too weird.
Besides, a lot of schools are good in informing the pre-teens about what will happen with their body and why. Maybe you could give away some free baskets to them? I don’t think it’s a bad idea, your intentions are really good, but I find it unnecessary in most cases I can think of.

i actually bought this for my niece the other day

a MENSTRUAL CUP.

lol i thought since she is starting her menstrual, she may as well try something that is more environmental friendly and cheaper (in the long run, better than paying for disposable tampons or sanitary pads right)

not sure what my sis thinks though... lol she has the educational job.

Back