Mineral Makeup EXPIRES

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mineral makeup shouldnt expire because it doesn't have binders in it.

if it does have binders, then it will expire.

;x

I doubt that mineral makeup expire either. It's powder so there's no moisture for bacteria to breed.

If your mineral makeup leans toward all-natural ingredients, then it probably has very little preservatives. As long as there are enough preservatives to keep it from inhabiting bacteria, it should be okay...

That's what I've always heard ... as long as you don't expose it to moisture, there's no way for the bacteria to grow so it won't expire.

My uneducated guess would be that once you open the container and use it, you should probably still use it up *fairly* soon ... you never know what kind of moisture it's being exposed to in the air, from your skin care or other products, or from your makeup brush (my skin is so oily it wouldn't surprise me if a tiny bit of oil gets on my brush even though I wash my face 5 minutes before doing makeup! lol)

I'm so glad you posted this now I know which ones to use up first. Thank you

that is weird, i've just gotten interested in mineral makeup and one of the selling points they use is that since the ingredients are all natural minerals that the makeup doesnt expire

This probably does have to do with the SPF. Since they are claming SPF on their minerals, they have to treat it like an OTC drug (which I think all require expiration dates). Titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and talc are all physical UV blockers, so I don't think time would degrade their ability to protect, but I'll have to look into that.

The only mineral makeup that expires is the solid minerals like compact foundation and eye shadows because they are created without preservatives. Loose minerals powders don't expire, I wouldn't keep my  loose foundation for lets say 3 years, but eyeshadows I have heard of people keeping bareminerals eyeshadows for more than 7 and still good as new.

Back