"MMU Purist", or "Whatever Works"? Which are you?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. I only wear mineral foundation without preservatives, parabans, or other questionable ingredients but I go with whatever works for everything else.

I wear whatever works and that encompasses a wide array of products, mineral and conventional. I love mineral makeup, and that includes BE. I even use drugstore makeup shadows and blushes. MAC, Stila, Too face(so so) L'Oreal, on and on. Too many good products for me to confine myself to a limited type.

I do understand why some people choose too - sensitive skin, health, etc... - I'm just not that serious-minded yet but hopefully I'll get there one day. I'd have to get my diet in order first and become purist with that before I went purist with cosmetics.

With all that said, I realize that even though I buy other cosmetics..... I'm using only mineral makeup everyday except for mascara, and fluidliners.

Originally Posted by HollyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd have to get my diet in order first and become purist with that before I went purist with cosmetics. I can totally relate with you on this one. I consume and expose myself to many things that are bad for me on a day to day basis. My makeup is just the tip of the iceberg.

I agree now with the ladie's who say that mineral makeup from drugstores that contain many additives can perform as well or better - causing less or no irritation than those with fewer ingredients. I actually finally tested several drugstore brands and found that they performed quite well. That is on my skin and everyone is different.

I agree with HollyC and LaurieLu that my exposure to dietary and environmental contaminants are higher on my list of things to eliminate than additional additives in mineral makeup.

On the other hand, if my skin were erupting or sensitive my first priority and concern would be to eliminate as many possible contaminants in my foundation and cleansing etc creams as possible. So both sides make perfect logic.

I only wear mineral foundation but will use some that many say are not so good but they look nice for me such as BE and LOreal mineral foundations. I like Ulta's mineral eyeshadows too.

I will wear any nice lipgloss, mascara, eyeliner too.

I'm now a mineral makeup purist when it comes to foundations, eye shadows and liners, blushes, and finishing powders. The only non mineral makeup that I'll use is lip gloss and lip liners from a traditional source. I don't bother with drugstore foundations or blushes because the ingredient list is so long I don't see how they differ from regular foundations etc.

i'm a Purist definitely. It's a natural extension of everything else i use that is natural/organic. I started going natural with makeup initially(so hard because i am a makeup FIEND ahahaha) then /household stuff/food stuff because i was trying to pinpoint what was causing my skin to breakout so horribly, and the more organic and natural i go (i'm now vegan!) not only the better my skin looks the better i feel in ALL ways...just cleaner, healthier, and more connected to the earth.

not to mention i lost almost 10 pounds
wink.gif

I like the lack of extra ingredients, and I do think it has helped my skin improve. I just feel better using things without 20+ ingredients when mineral products are usually of better quality anyway(and cheaper!).

Middle of the road somewhere. If a batch of 100 lippies has 1/8 teaspoon of dye in it, I'm okay. If it has ingredients like lead, or God help us, cow brains - nuh-uh.

If I can't pronounce the ingredient names (and I have a sciences degree) or there are 30 of them on the label, then I get a little worried. Drugstore MMU falls into that category - most of them seem to say: may contain (minerals) at the very end of the ingredients listing!

Reading this is great because I've never given this any thought where makeup is concerned.

I now realize that I'm a foundation purist and a non purist where everything else is concerned in the way of colored cosmetics. I'll use not only mineral makeup for eyeshadow, liner, gloss, and blush but also will use MAD, Stila, TooFaced, Bourjois, etc. I do stick to minerals in the pure zone for foundation.

i think that i am in a difficult spot on this thread. after my father had his CC det's taken from a secure website, he won't let anyone buy anything from the internet. however, as traditional makeup breaks me out something horrible, my mom (who used to sell natural makeup) took me to the store. she inspected every brand there (we did that for a good hour) and declared that Physicians Formula was the best brand ingredient wise. so i got a liquid foundation, powder foundation, and compac. they didn't make my skin break out and they had a "wrinkle reducing" line, which sold my mom.

i now have one of their eyeshadows, in baked sands, which is AWESOME! i can wear it without primer (and i have very oily skin) it even stayed true while i slept!.

having said ALL of that, i want to start buying more natural MMU. my mother and i have decided that we are going to open our own visa so that we can buy makeup online.

we'll both stick with our PF foundi's because they're the best either of us have found, and we don't have the money to experiment any further; but we're both wanting to get mineral eye makeup as well as blushes and try the lippies.

i'm sold on Fyrinnaes concept, because its vegan, but i think that i will end up starting to make my own eyeshadow before i finish my PF trio.

so i guess i'm a "whatever works" but not really by choice.

had either of us known about mineral makeup before, we probably would;ve tried online foundi.

i'm a "whatever works" MMU lover...i am a purist in terms of only buying MMU on websites coz i don't think drugstore brand mmu are real...they have so many ingredients like regular makeup...but i only use mineral foundation and finishing powder (as long as i won't breakout and itch with the brand) ...while for my eyeshadows and lippies, i use mixes of regular and mmu
smile.gif

i'm still finding the MMU brand that won't make me itch during hot and humid weather...still searching
biggrin.gif

I use what works for me, it doesn't matter if it's pure or not. As long as it lasts a long time, matches my skin and looks good.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by crystal_gale /img/forum/go_quote.gif i'm a "whatever works" MMU lover...i am a purist in terms of only buying MMU on websites coz i don't think drugstore brand mmu are real...they have so many ingredients like regular makeup
i'm still finding the MMU brand that won't make me itch during hot and humid weather...still searching
biggrin.gif

Not good when pure MMU is still causing you to itch.

Originally Posted by laurie_lu /img/forum/go_quote.gif Not good when pure MMU is still causing you to itch. Laurie Lu - does mmu not ever itch you? It does me when I sweat and some are really worse than others and those I don't wear anymore but even with primer I find it happens sometimes. Not if I put on a heavy enough layer of primer but if I lax with that then when the sweat comes right with that comes the itching.

Honestly, I've never experienced this 'itching' feeling. However I have experienced burning and stinging with two of the EDM foundation formulas and their mint green concealer. I still don't know what caused that.

actually, my face and neck really itch when it's hot and i sweat..even without anything on my face..so finding an MMU brand that will not aggravate this itchiness everytime is a great find for me hehe...i do live in a tropical country and the weather is usually hot so i can't tolerate those foundations that make me itch that much...so sad right? i really love MMU and i can't let it go for traditional makeup that don't make me itch but make me breakout!
frown.gif

Back