Moms Who Breast-Feed Less Likely to Neglect Child

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif ok leave it to me to post such an incredibly unpopular thread!
actually when i read it was intrigued by the bonding thing and wondering if a baby that was breast fed was somehow more "connected" to their mother than one that was not. So in other words they would never abandon or abuse their children or at least much less so.

I realize what a personal choice the issue of breast feeding is and so i apologize. The article does not make mention of this and so in this regard is rather poor.

aww. Don´t feel bad!I think the breast feeding is really important in forming a bond with the baby, and I´ve heard it in school numerous times that women who don´t breastfeed don´t have an as strong bond (that doesn´t mean that it´s not strong enough though, I think the child neglecting thing is a bit far fetched though)...not sure if I quite believe that though. I don´t want to breastfeed myself so I guess that´s why I don´t wanna believe it

I just really think that if you love your child, you are gonna love them whether or not they get breastmilk. I am a lioness to all four of my babies, I dont love one less than the other, I am connected and bonded to all of them, and in saying that, I think personal willpower has alot to do with that as well. I am deeply, deeply depressed and I dont let it affect how they are reared. I dont know how I do it, but I do it.

I have always been one to believe that breastmilk is good for the sake of health, anitbodies and such, because I can say my older two were not breastfed and stayed in the hospital (Mario went to the hospital 7-8 times and was admitted 4 times during his first year of life) whereas (I will speak for Trey cause Savannah isnt even 2 months old) Trey didnt get sick until he was 2 1/2 years old, it was a quick little cold and that's it. But all these bias articles about breastfeeding and c-sections, making some women feel bad or less than a person for some things that they cannot control or just dont want to do, I hate. Give me the important medical facts and leave the rest out of the equation.

Perfect example: Andrea Yates breastfed her children....and that article plain as day says that even after factoring out depression and such, that a breastfeeding mother still has a stronger bond can we write that off as not true?

p.s.: Though I never paraded around like an ******* concerning vaginal births, it did take me almost having to get a c-section to have full circle respect for any woman that has ever had one, with all due respect, they go through alot more than I do vaginally concerning birth.
worship.gif
Whether it was vaginal or c-section, we are all awesome
smile.gif

i totally agree, c sections are a sensitive subject to some women. even my sister in law told me i didnt really go thru labor cuz i took the easy way out. some people just dont understand, or care. especailly when the c section is to save your childs life or when there are complications or having multiples.

but i try not to take it to heart, when it comes to my sister in law at least. i guess you can say shes...close minded maybe. she doesnt understand why people would have 3, 4, 5+ kids have c sections, she says 'its not like it would be hard to push all the babies out one right after the other'

Originally Posted by Ali07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif she doesnt understand why people would have 3, 4, 5+ kids have c sections, she says 'its not like it would be hard to push all the babies out one right after the other' Oh my, that is a terrible way to feel, she needs a day with the discovery health channel
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh my, that is a terrible way to feel, she needs a day with the discovery health channel
laughing.gif
lol i agree. tho she is pregnant now and i think she sees things a little differently when my mom made her watch baby shows all day.

I think overall its up to the mother of the bond they have with a child, my mom has 4 of us and she doesnt favor any of us and shows us all the same a mount of love. I have twins, i saw my daughter chloe 3 hours after i had her and I didnt see Delailah for 2 days but i love them the same and give them my total love and attention equally. I suffered from postpartum deppression but I NEVER thought of hurting my girls, even now looking back, i dont understand how anybody could hurt a child, let alone a defenseless baby. According to my girls dr breastfeeding is for health purposes, yes you bond with your child while feeding but the milk itself is to help the babies health, just like formula. after i stopped breast feeding the girls did fine on formula, they have only been sick once but it was a fast cold then nothing, for being born 6 weeks early they are healthy and growing just fine, i never prop the bottle, i hold the girls when i feed them but I take the time each day to have independent bonding time with each girl while the other is with my mom.

Originally Posted by Ali07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i totally agree, c sections are a sensitive subject to some women. even my sister in law told me i didnt really go thru labor cuz i took the easy way out. some people just dont understand, or care. especailly when the c section is to save your childs life or when there are complications or having multiples. Since when is being cut open taking the easy way out? C-sections are much harder to deal with afterwards what with all the possible infections, extra care needed to the incision area not to mention the longer recovery time and all that pain/soreness. I haven't had one but even if I were given the option just bc the doctor said I could (meaning no other complications to actually force a c-section), I would much rather opt for a vaginal delivery.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Since when is being cut open taking the easy way out? C-sections are much harder to deal with afterwards what with all the possible infections, extra care needed to the incision area not to mention the longer recovery time and all that pain/soreness. I haven't had one but even if I were given the option just bc the doctor said I could (meaning no other complications to actually force a c-section), I would much rather opt for a vaginal delivery. I agreed to a C section to save one of my daughters lives. during surgery i was okay, i felt like i couldnt breath due the the epidoral, after the babies were out and i was all closed up the first nurse gave me a morphin shot then 10 minutes later the second nurse was unaware of my first shot so gave me another one, i was out of it!! the morphin didnt wear off till 5am the next day(i got the shots at 5pm) but the epidoral didnt wear off till noon and it took two nurses to get me outta bed.

All that was worth it cuz I was able to see both my girls
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Since when is being cut open taking the easy way out? C-sections are much harder to deal with afterwards what with all the possible infections, extra care needed to the incision area not to mention the longer recovery time and all that pain/soreness. I haven't had one but even if I were given the option just bc the doctor said I could (meaning no other complications to actually force a c-section), I would much rather opt for a vaginal delivery. Also, there is a possibility of nerve damage.
Just adding to your list.
smile.gif

The study could be onto something as far as helping with the newborn bonding since breastfeeding does produce certain hormones that make changes in your body. One of these hormones is pitocin that will help get your uterus back to normal quicker. Now I don't think that mothers who don't breastfeed don't bond with their babies. I think bottlefeeding can be just as much bonding as long as the baby is being held and attended to. I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate and have nursed both of our kids (2 1/2 years each) but I don't have anything against mothers who choose to bottle feed or are forced to bottlefeed due to wrong information from the medical community/family or due to illness etc. I was not able to nurse our 2nd child right away so I had pump and bottle feed her and the emotional roller coaster was awful. Luckily with the right support and advice I was able to start nursing her full time and throw the bottles in the trash. If I had been a first time mom in that situation, I probably would have never nursed. Luckily I knew from prior experiences and kept looking for help and advice. I was also very fortunate to have my husband Tony's full support and help. Unfortunately many mothers don't get their significant other's support when it comes to breastfeeding which in turn can lead to bottlefeeding etc.

I think a mother who is already detached from the baby whether it's due to post partum depression or other reason's, it's so much easier to detach more from the baby if you are bottlefeedin because you can have anybody take care of the baby besides you. If you are exclusively breastfeeing, you are with that baby 24/7 and you can't just leave them with someone else. Breastfeeding in such situation might help the new mom feel more attached to the baby if the maternal instincts didn't kick in naturally after the birth for whatever reason.

There are so many reasons why mothers have to go through the things they do such as birth options and feeding options and nobody should be judged based on their choices. I think more energy should be spent on education all women of all the options available and the pros and cons so that they can make the best decision for themselves and the baby. There is always the chance that medical reasons warrant another course of action than originally was intended and that should be respected also.

Back