Monthly Box Rehab

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
143
Reaction score
3
I'm about in the full throws of a melt down because I got shut down for the GlossyBox by the bf. I was pleading my case last night and finally I could here myself saying I NEED another box of stuff repeatedly. I kept telling him I didn't want to miss anything and he continued to hit me with the No saying that I have lots of stuff already and he was not on board with another box. While I was talking I realized that I may have a slight problem. I do coupon and I think between that and these monthly subscriptions it's making me greedy. I always need more stuff.  I figured I would start this thread because I KNOW I am not alone. I probably am getting the box anyways over someone's dead body if necessary. But, overall I need help. Let's talk this out. 12 step beauty box rehab.......

 
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
6,107
Reaction score
100
How long have you been doing these? I think everyone eventually gets sampled out. I'm just about there. I do have a shopping problem though, I know that. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

 
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
143
Reaction score
3
Not long my first sub was Myglam. I signed up about December 15th. Before that I never knew they existed. I like makeup and was happy going to Sephora and other beauty counters. My shopping love is handbags and maybe clothes. Then one day I get an email from Urban Decay talking about being featured in a new monthly subscription service. The bag looked so good and I love a deal so I was in. Then I was curious about the monthly thing so I looked around and signed up for Julep then Birchbox and it was downhill from there. I already coupon and shop sooo..... I think the problem really is this being addition to everything else. The UPS man should have a parking spot at my house. Sad but true. Damn internet! Too much information.......

 
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
946
Reaction score
110
I started subscribing to sample boxes because I thought they would be fun and I would receive some new to me and useful items.

My first was CraveBox and I love that one the most. All boxes so far have been valued at over $50 and I have used nearly every item.

Next was BirchBox which I am canceling this month because in four months I have not received a single item I would consider buying. Most samples I have received are tiny and one use. I know everyone raves about the points but it is just too disappointing every month.

Then I saw MyGlam and subscribed to that one also. I like MyGlam - I have discovered three products I liked so much that I have purchased more.

Next, I decided to try the 1 cent Julep Maven. For me, the polish chips too easily so I canceled it.

Then, I saw the BeautyFix deal ($30 off the $50). So I decided to give it a try. Love it! I received my box of goodies yesterday and I am very pleased. Mostly full size, new to me items that I am looking forward to trying out. Even at $50 this one is a good deal IMHO. Of course, this may change if they don't keep a good selection of products.

So, I will be spending $36 a month if I keep CraveBox, MyGlam, and BeautyFix. I am comfortable with that amount and it won't put a kink in my budget. I looked at GlossyBox but it is kind of pricey. I would consider it if I drop another one.

Forgot to add that I am receiving a three month gift subscription for Conscious Box from my husband for Mother's Day!

 
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
317
Reaction score
214
Location
AL
My Birchbox subscription expires in September at which time I will not renew. I think I am going to get rid of the rest of my subscriptions by then as well, maybe even earlier. I started to get them because I hit a milestone birthday last year, was kind of depressed and wanted to revamp my skincare and beauty routine to see if that made me feel better. It is out of control now. I have found some really great products so I don't regret spending the money but I am just overloaded with samples.

 

iPretty949

Social Media Manager
Joined
Mar 9, 2012
Messages
1,478
Reaction score
367
Originally Posted by luckylilme /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not long my first sub was Myglam. I signed up about December 15th. Before that I never knew they existed. I like makeup and was happy going to Sephora and other beauty counters. My shopping love is handbags and maybe clothes. Then one day I get an email from Urban Decay talking about being featured in a new monthly subscription service. The bag looked so good and I love a deal so I was in. Then I was curious about the monthly thing so I looked around and signed up for Julep then Birchbox and it was downhill from there. I already coupon and shop sooo..... I think the problem really is this being addition to everything else. The UPS man should have a parking spot at my house. Sad but true. Damn internet! Too much information.......
I can relate! I cannot live without receiving anything in the mail. Aside from the monthly boxes, I have regular shopping from Sephora and Ulta every month, Amazon and Ebay too. There are several times I had to bring a cart to bring my boxes to our apartment! Hubby just ignores me with my shopping stuff as he knows I am bored to death being a full time housewife. I am unemployed and hubby makes good money so I think the problem is with me too. I am super spoiled that he just pays my credit cards so I start my shopping spree the next month. I admit too, I have shopping addiction.


Since I stay most of the time at home, I am glued to the internet, may it be on my Mac,iPhone or iPad so the tempation is soooo strong. Blame the internet too!


 
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
143
Reaction score
3
These things are a bit addictive and I have to admit I signed up for Birchbox and every box makes me very sad. I have pretty much hated everything with the exception of March tv box. (I especially hated the unwelcome box they sent me after I signed up the 20th of the month thinking my first box would be March). Even with my March box that I kinda liked that I ended up with a lipsurgence that was damaged and a shade that would certainly have the circus calling if I wore it. I was given 100 points no replacement and now after only being a member for a few months I have about $40 Bucks in points which I will be spending before I quit. If something has to go Birchbox will be first. I'm scared to cancel thinking I could hit big. I see why people play the lotto.

 
Joined
Dec 16, 2011
Messages
1,781
Reaction score
18
I signed up for Birchbox, my very first subscription, about nine months ago after a friend posted about it on her blog. That one was the only one I had for awhile, and I was happy with it. Then, as I browsed around the internet, I found that there were more of those subscription beauty boxes out there, and as I found more and signed up for more, that's when it got really out of control. I kept enrolling, and I kept telling myself, "oh, it's only another $10, another $12 per month, that's not that much." At one point, I had all of these at the same time:

Birchbox

MyGlam

Sample Society

Blissmobox

Sindulge

Beauty Box 5

The Look Bag

Plus, I had already invested in a couple of the QVC New Beauty Test Tubes and Beautyfix. I was absolutely out of control. I've cut back. A lot. Right now, I only have Glossybox and Birchbox. My husband spends about $30 a month on his likes, and I spend about $30 on mine. I got to the point where I felt absolutely embarrassed and out of control when it came to beauty products and the amount I owned. I still love the surprise and the fact that these beauty boxes put me out of my comfort zone, but a few samples a month are more than necessary. Right now, I'm doing a no buy until I feel like my beauty collection is under control. Beauty boxes are fun, but not when you get addicted to them!

 
Joined
Mar 18, 2012
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I don't know your situation, but if its your money what business is it of your boyfriends if you want to subscribe?

 
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
HI, what is the name of the Urban Decay monthly subscription?  Thank you!

 
Joined
Dec 16, 2011
Messages
1,781
Reaction score
18
I think she was referring to MyGlam. Urban Decay was featured in MyGlam's December bag. They sent out a full sized eyeshadow and a primer potion. 

Originally Posted by klotto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HI, what is the name of the Urban Decay monthly subscription?  Thank you!
 
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I agree I keep saying its only like 10 dollars or so then later I regret it.

I find myself going crazy around the 1-10 every month when my boxes or bags are not here I feel like I subconsciously plan around them arriving. I have to keep telling myself not to spend more money from the coupons we have received but i just cant help it! I like just keep wanting more and if i cancel I have nothing to look forward to, and i love opening mail so much ahha.
 

I wanted glossybox so bad but its $21 and I know I cannot afford that 2 birchboxes and glambags.

 
Joined
Feb 7, 2012
Messages
142
Reaction score
1
Myglam was my first sub and then I later joined Birchbox.  And so far, despite being a lurker and occasional commenter on these forums, I have been pretty good. I've kept only these two subs.  The way I justify only having two subs is that I am realistically spending $20 a month on SAMPLES and not even full sized products.  If it's over twenty dollars, then, to me, it's not worth trying samples. I'd rather go to Sephora and test out a full size product.  If it doesn't work out, I'd return it.  Already I have like six or seven things that I haven't gotten around to using and so if I don't use them soon, I'm basically letting them go to waste.  With one or two subs, I still get the thrill of a surprise and a treat when I open the mailbox and I still get the chance to try out new products.

That being said, it's good that you've recognized that you have a spending problem.  Most people who are addicted to risky and irresponsible behaviors don't realize it.

Some things to keep in mind as you try to work through this:

1. You are already spending lots of money on samples through great subscription programs.  What might be the addicting aspect of these subs is the lure of "what MAY come." Yes, Glossybox may be fabulous, but don't let that suck you into dropping more money. Or if you MUST have Glossybox, cut out some of your other subscriptions.  It's a huge risk to be spending $21 on samples that may not realistically be better than birchbox or sample society.

2. Next, you should probably look through the piles of samples that you've received already and see if there's something you can "rediscover" that you might actually like without having to get it in "next " box subscription.  Also, try to use up the samples that you were given UNLESS they were horrible or didn't work for you. You might be surprised with how they turn out to be.

3. If your subscribed to companies that allow you to skip monthes,  take advantage of it.  You don't need all that nail polish from Julep AND you can see what you're getting with BA. If there's only 2 things you're really interested in, SKIP.  Next cycle may be better and nail polish lasts forever. (At least nail polish does for me...the formula ends up turning rancid before I am able to get through a bottle.)

4. Stop going online for a week. As agonizing as it will be, it will allow you to spend more time with your boyfriend, rediscovering another non-electronic related hobby, and it will remove a great source of your addiction.  As nice and supportive as everyone is on this forum, we also happen to be horrible enablers. It will be really hard to break the cycle if you're constantly reading about how everyone LOVED their box from BLAH company or about the hype surrounding yet another subscription company that launching this month.

Anyways good luck and I think you're off to a great start. 

 
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
2,077
Reaction score
17
Ok so my sister keeps saying I have a problem and I wonder if its true.  I am justifying it by saying that I can afford it.. and while thats true I have decided (along with the rest of you) to be brave and start cancelling. My first step is to cancel Julep and my 3rd Birchbox account. Both will be done this week. So that saves me 29.00 a month. Thats good for now. I will re-visit this later. I will now have 2 BB accounts, Sample Society, GlossyBox monthlies and NBTT & QVC TT which are both quarterly. So thats better, right? I might consider getting rid of SS and my extra BB but not now. And if Glossybox turns out to be really awesome, I probably will cancel SS. And if its not awesome, that will be the first to go since its the most expensive. I like the fun of getting something in the mail, and it being something new and potentially an exciting product(s) that I will love. But I agree that I could instead be using the money on things I need to buy anyway or know I already love.  

 
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
2,105
Reaction score
62
The thing about sample subs is that they ARE so completely addictive because of the gambling aspect and the fear of missing out on "an amazing score". It happens, but put it into a risk/profit ratio, and the pay off with some subs is WAY higher than with others.

I'll be honest; if I had unlimited funds, I'd probably be subscribed to every bloody sub out there because of the thrill of the surprise. But when I realized I was spending more time stalking spoilers than I was actually enjoying products.....that was a wake up call.

 
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
2,077
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 But when I realized I was spending more time stalking spoilers than I was actually enjoying products.....that was a wake up call.
preaching to the choir on that one! 

 
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Temptation has gotten me. I wanted Birchbox sooooo bad and my husband informed me that I had enough samples to open a store. I snuck one in, Julep, under the 1 cent promotion and I have tried to cancel by e-mailing them and they replied that I had to call. I keep fogetting ad have not used the first polish (I am on box #4).  That one is overhyped. Is there a decent one that has produts you will actually use that don't cost an arm and a leg?

 
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
2,077
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by MSANGELMB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Temptation has gotten me. I wanted Birchbox sooooo bad and my husband informed me that I had enough samples to open a store. I snuck one in, Julep, under the 1 cent promotion and I have tried to cancel by e-mailing them and they replied that I had to call. I keep fogetting ad have not used the first polish (I am on box #4).  That one is overhyped. Is there a decent one that has produts you will actually use that don't cost an arm and a leg?
have you looked into cravebox? they have themed boxes each month and its not always beauty.. i havent joined but i am on their mailing list and considering it. Subscriptions are closed now so thats why I got on their email list. They dont say anything about when they will open but they have limited edition boxes for 10.00 and it seems anyone can get those when they are on sale. 

 
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
143
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by codenameyam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know your situation, but if its your money what business is it of your boyfriends if you want to subscribe?
I think he was having an intervention. I may have sounded crazy talking about needing more. I am a stay at home mom but I am considering going back to work to buy more subs lol!

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think she was referring to MyGlam. Urban Decay was featured in MyGlam's December bag. They sent out a full sized eyeshadow and a primer potion. 
Exactly! 

Originally Posted by ValentineLissar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Myglam was my first sub and then I later joined Birchbox.  And so far, despite being a lurker and occasional commenter on these forums, I have been pretty good. I've kept only these two subs.  The way I justify only having two subs is that I am realistically spending $20 a month on SAMPLES and not even full sized products.  If it's over twenty dollars, then, to me, it's not worth trying samples. I'd rather go to Sephora and test out a full size product.  If it doesn't work out, I'd return it.  Already I have like six or seven things that I haven't gotten around to using and so if I don't use them soon, I'm basically letting them go to waste.  With one or two subs, I still get the thrill of a surprise and a treat when I open the mailbox and I still get the chance to try out new products.

That being said, it's good that you've recognized that you have a spending problem.  Most people who are addicted to risky and irresponsible behaviors don't realize it.

Some things to keep in mind as you try to work through this:

1. You are already spending lots of money on samples through great subscription programs.  What might be the addicting aspect of these subs is the lure of "what MAY come." Yes, Glossybox may be fabulous, but don't let that suck you into dropping more money. Or if you MUST have Glossybox, cut out some of your other subscriptions.  It's a huge risk to be spending $21 on samples that may not realistically be better than birchbox or sample society.

2. Next, you should probably look through the piles of samples that you've received already and see if there's something you can "rediscover" that you might actually like without having to get it in "next " box subscription.  Also, try to use up the samples that you were given UNLESS they were horrible or didn't work for you. You might be surprised with how they turn out to be.

3. If your subscribed to companies that allow you to skip monthes,  take advantage of it.  You don't need all that nail polish from Julep AND you can see what you're getting with BA. If there's only 2 things you're really interested in, SKIP.  Next cycle may be better and nail polish lasts forever. (At least nail polish does for me...the formula ends up turning rancid before I am able to get through a bottle.)

4. Stop going online for a week. As agonizing as it will be, it will allow you to spend more time with your boyfriend, rediscovering another non-electronic related hobby, and it will remove a great source of your addiction.  As nice and supportive as everyone is on this forum, we also happen to be horrible enablers. It will be really hard to break the cycle if you're constantly reading about how everyone LOVED their box from BLAH company or about the hype surrounding yet another subscription company that launching this month.

Anyways good luck and I think you're off to a great start. 
This is excellent advice.

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok so my sister keeps saying I have a problem and I wonder if its true.  I am justifying it by saying that I can afford it.. and while thats true I have decided (along with the rest of you) to be brave and start cancelling. My first step is to cancel Julep and my 3rd Birchbox account. Both will be done this week. So that saves me 29.00 a month. Thats good for now. I will re-visit this later. I will now have 2 BB accounts, Sample Society, GlossyBox monthlies and NBTT & QVC TT which are both quarterly. So thats better, right? I might consider getting rid of SS and my extra BB but not now. And if Glossybox turns out to be really awesome, I probably will cancel SS. And if its not awesome, that will be the first to go since its the most expensive. I like the fun of getting something in the mail, and it being something new and potentially an exciting product(s) that I will love. But I agree that I could instead be using the money on things I need to buy anyway or know I already love.  
Yep, you're hooked that is what I keep telling myself too. I am realizing more and more that these same emotions that I am feeling about have got to be the same as any drug addition. The highs, the regret, the sneaking around. Must have another box lol!

Glossybox ran out of subs anyways. I won a box I can wait a month. It's going to stress me out a little having to watch the unboxings on YouTube but it will be okay.

 

Latest posts

Top