Most Runway Models Meet the BMI Criteria for Anorexia

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by tulipity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rigth? not to mention that those images women are getting pounded with are photoshopped all to hell to begin with.  

and God forbid you're fat AND poor.  That's the makings of bootstrapper rant right there!  lol.

I'll totally concede that I don't know much about the board culture here, but in all my days on the internets there are a few discussion that never end well.  and this is one of them.   
Yea I've been in quite a few of them myself but still haven't learned to stay away. 

Originally Posted by SarahNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yea I've been in quite a few of them myself but still haven't learned to stay away. 
That's why I stated my peace and walked away.  Even if I hadn't, I doubt anyone here could get as uppity as some of the characters you and I have watched on that other board. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

And I may be opening a whole new can of worms here, but being called too thin doesn't carry anywhere near the same bad stigma or pressure to be "normal" as being obese does.

F the fat girls! They don't deserve to see the clothing that they will buy and wear marketed on girls that look like them because it's unhealthy to promote that image! They should constantly be pounded with images of thin healthier woman and it should be harder for them to find clothing that fits them.  If we continuously remind them of just how unhealthy and unattractive they are, it will make them want to lose weight and become healthier. 

And how dare they be proud of their unhealthy bodies and attempt to have decent self esteem before they thin down to a healthy standard! The nerve!

I don't think anyone said clothing should be marketed on "thin" women. Healthy women yes, which come in ALL shapes and sizes. The ads out now a days are unrealistic and do absolutely promote poor body image for all women. We should be focused on being happy any healthy as a society.

the fact is we have serious obesity issues....1/3 women are obsese and it doesnt need to be glorified, we need to try and change it. that does NOT mean turning every "fat" girl into a waif, it means getting their weight to level manageable and healthy for THEM so they dont die 20 years prematurely. That has nothing to do with clothing sizes or beauty marketing, it has to do with quality and length of life. I personally do not think we should be promoting "obesity" as an ideal anymore than an unhealthy image of being rail thin...that is very different from a gorgeous curvy girl with a few extra pounds on her that is healthy inside and out. I for one WISH i had some real curves as I have the body of a 12 year old girl >.<

The majority of my family is dead due to problems related to obesity. every grandparent, aunt, uncle, 2 cousins, even my step brother died from causes directly related to being morbidly overweight. If measures had been taken for them to have a wake up call instead of being told to be "proud" of their weight then they may not be in coffins right now. Its far past just appearances and it honestly does kill people. 

And I may be opening a whole new can of worms here, but being called too thin doesn't carry anywhere near the same bad stigma or pressure to be "normal" as being obese does.

I don't think anyone can understand a persons personal struggles unless you have lived them. I was not only teased very badly, but physically assaulted for years over my appearance. I was jumped by a group of girls in high school and beaten up. I had my face shoved into concrete so badly it knocked out 2 teeth and I had a severe concussion. I still have migraines and dental work that I deal with today because of that. Yes on a day to day basis I dont receive as many stares as overweight people do, but its also not as simple as someone whining over being a few pounds too thin. Harassment and emotional scarring are issues for more than just overweight people. 

I assure you Amber that the obesity rate may be going up not b/c ppl who are overweight are being encouraged to "just be proud" or b/c you can get cute clothes in a larger size in a *gasp* dept store.  

why do you think it's going up?  Why do you think 1/3 of the american pop is obese?  what causes a trend like that?  

eta:  I'm sorry you were targeted as a kid.  I'm sure it was terribly painful.  and not to diminish your experience, but I'm going to wager that it was a one off (albeit sucky) thing.  Yes, thin women sometimes get snide comments or back handed compliments but it is still socially okay to say and do really really crappy things about overweight ppl.  

Food for thought - you looked adorable in your halloween costume, what if someone about 75lbs heavier than you showed up in the same costume at the party you went to, do you think most of the gang there would have said "you go gurl!  Be proud of yo round!"?  

You were randomly beaten like that simply because you were thin? That's messed up.

I wouldn't call it random because I went to school with a lot of the same group of kids from elementary to high school. I knew every one of them, and over the course of my schooling it was generally that group who would not let up. Like I said im not trying to turn it into a boo hoo im too thin thing, because tbh i feel lucky that I dont have to deal with the scrutiny overweight people do. I'm just saying as someone who is not just thin, but very very tiny that people form false ideas about your health on both ends of the spectrum. I've had girls throw tampons at me, then say "oh i forgot, you dont get periods" because anorexic girls usually lose their menstrual cycle. It's been far worse than being told im just skinny. and that physical attack was not an isolated incident, ive been hit and shoved more times than i can remember over it, that was just the worst time because I lost teeth. 

Originally Posted by tulipity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I assure you Amber that the obesity rate may be going up not b/c ppl who are overweight are being encouraged to "just be proud" or b/c you can get cute clothes in a larger size in a *gasp* dept store.  

why do you think it's going up?  Why do you think 1/3 of the american pop is obese?  what causes a trend like that?  

eta:  I'm sorry you were targeted as a kid.  I'm sure it was terribly painful.  and not to diminish your experience, but I'm going to wager that it was a one off (albeit sucky) thing.  Yes, thin women sometimes get snide comments or back handed compliments but it is still socially okay to say and do really really crappy things about overweight ppl.  

Food for thought - you looked adorable in your halloween costume, what if someone about 75lbs heavier than you showed up in the same costume at the party you went to, do you think most of the gang there would have said "you go gurl!  Be proud of yo round!"?  
I'm sorry If i came off as saying thats why, as I know my family were genetically dispositioned to be overweight. I understand that there are a ton of factors going into it. I meant that comment as the attitude seems to be more of general blind acceptance over being obese or overweight to prove a point to the beauty industry or people who scrutinize them, rather than proving that bigger girls can be both beautiful AND healthy. I'd love more girls to step forward proclaiming that they are healthy inside and out.

Id love to see fitness ads of a real woman selling gym clothes, health drinks, etc and not being sterotyped as just selling "plus sized" clothing or articles that clearly say HEY THIS GIRL IS PLUS SIZED look what she can do the same as everyone else. If girls see REAL women out there in all sorts of markets it will help improve healthy body image as well as set positive ideals about food exercise and acceptance into place. That to me is different from the were getting bigger so the clothes should keep getting bigger attitude i hear people talk about. I never meant that people should ever feel outcasted, just that health should be a priority over outward appearances.

Gah im SO bad with words and on top of that im tired and mixing my words up, im sorry =/

And for the record i really loved that outfit and had a girl call me flat chested....it seems to be more girl on girl hate from my experience. And your right a larger girl would have been heavily scrutinized. On a good note that was mine and my boyfriends 3rd date, so apparently he liked what he saw =P

Back