My pet bird (Ember) is sick

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update...

I took him to the vet this morning. He said Ember has a respiratory problem/infection. I have to give him antibiotics via a dropper for 14 days and also some type of vitamin to add to his water. Ember is not hand trained but the vet had a good handle on him, although Ember bit him a few times. He wasn't too keen on the car ride over since he has never been in a car before, but luckily someone accompanied me and sat in the back with his cage.

I'm glad I took him in. The vet said birds are good at hiding symptoms, hard to tell when they are sick at times. I hope he is back to his normal self soon. The vet was very nice and seemed to know alot about budgies.

Good to hear! I knew he would be ok.
smile.gif

lol
laughing.gif
He bit the Veterinarian. Did it hurt?

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif Good to hear! I knew he would be ok.
smile.gif

lol
laughing.gif
He bit the Veterinarian. Did it hurt?

The vet said he is use to being bit but admitted Ember has quite the beak. He didn't cause an open cut, he could if they wanted to, tiny, but sharp and powerful beaks. Ember has bit me before but only when really upset. It does hurt, leaves a pinch mark or bruise on your skin.
Here is a closeup of his face. You can sort of see his beak, small but powerful.

ember5tb1.jpg

Originally Posted by canadian_gurl /img/forum/go_quote.gif The vet said he is use to being bit but admitted Ember has quite the beak. He didn't cause an open cut, he could if they wanted to, tiny, but sharp and powerful beaks. Ember has bit me before but only when really upset. It does hurt, leaves a pinch mark or bruise on your skin.
Here is a closeup of his face. You can sort of see his beak, small but powerful.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/800/ember5tb1.jpg

That's what I thought. They have powerful beaks so they can break seeds open. Don't they also have to grind rock or something like that to digest food? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that before.
He's such a cute little bird!
smile.gif

That's great!! I hate it when pets get sick.. They are soo helpless.. Our daughters Beta is not looking well at all... And we have a cat with FIV. (A feline version of HIV, spread by cat fights and not comunicable to humans) and an old deaf dalmation.. Home for wayward sick animals.. Lol

Karren

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's what I thought. They have powerful beaks so they can break seeds open. Don't they also have to grind rock or something like that to digest food? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read that before.
He's such a cute little bird!
smile.gif

Thanks! He knows he is handsome, lol.
In the wild birds eat gravel, stones to help with digestion. For pet birds we buy gravel, more fine in texture, does the same thing. Although the vet said not to give him gravel right now due to respiratory infection, just make it worse.

I gave him his first shot of antibiotics, I don't think the whole dose went down his mouth, as he was struggling. For the past 4 hours he is really stressed out. I don't think he sleeps well, sick, trip to the vet upset him, and now me taking him out of the cage and having him lay on his back on my hand mad him mad.

Originally Posted by canadian_gurl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks! He knows he is handsome, lol.
In the wild birds eat gravel, stones to help with digestion. For pet birds we buy gravel, more fine in texture, does the same thing. Although the vet said not to give him gravel right now due to respiratory infection, just make it worse.

I gave him his first shot of antibiotics, I don't think the whole dose went down his mouth, as he was struggling. For the past 4 hours he is really stressed out. I don't think he sleeps well, sick, trip to the vet upset him, and now me taking him out of the cage and having him lay on his back on my hand mad him mad.

I thought I had read about the gravel. Thanks for the information.
I bet he will be calmed down by tomorrow. Like you said he is stressed by the car ride. I'm sure that was quite shocking for him.

It won't be long and he will be back to normal.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Maude /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm sure he'll be all right. Especially with antibiotics.
dito.gif

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I thought I had read about the gravel. Thanks for the information.
I bet he will be calmed down by tomorrow. Like you said he is stressed by the car ride. I'm sure that was quite shocking for him.

It won't be long and he will be back to normal.
smile.gif

Thanks!
smile.gif
He's had a busy day. Once the antibiotics start to work he should be feeling better. He is not hand tamed so he is not use to being flipped over on his back, scares him. I try to do it as quick as possible.

Back