Nail polish related disasters: What's your worst

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bottle of nail polish in my coat pocket, and I forgot about it.

One day my mom is sniffing around saying she smells nail polish, and what do ya know. Winter coat ruined,

Whelp just spilled about half a bottle of deeeeep red nail polish on my comforter...

Hopefully at least some of it will come out (trying all sorts of removal methods right now), its not a huge deal if not all of it comes out because there are various other small stains (sounds gross sorry) stains on it anyway and I'll be needing a new one this summer before I go to college anyway.  But still, I feel quite dumb right now

This is my own fault. But, I just lost a polish and don't know where it is because I threw it out of a fit of rage. It was one of those Insta Dri's with the way too big brush. I don't know if it's broken. But, I don't care if it is. I hate those brushes. And, the color was plain black anyways (I have another one with a thin brush.)

There have been a number of times when my kids as young ones got a hold of a polish and proceeded to make artistic masterpieces on the walls and furniture. <_< You'd think I would keep the stuff under lock and key with the frequency it happened. Le sigh, at least they are (hopefully) grown past that stage now.

Couple of weeks ago I was taking of the nail polish, and unwisely placed used cotton balls soaked with polish remover one window sill, which happens to be one cats' favorite vantage points. Cats never come anywhere near me while I'm doing my nails or right after. I figure they hate the smell of fresh polish. No sooner that I finished repainting my nails, I realized that one of the cats came to claim his spot and is laying directly on top of the used cotton balls. My first reaction was to grab the cat and wash off whatever the polish remover his fir picked up... but I couldn't do that without getting at least some of my nail polish on him... So I just stood the looking at the cat and slightly whimpering... Luckily my husband was home, he washed the cat. 

Couple of weeks ago I was taking of the nail polish, and unwisely placed used cotton balls soaked with polish remover one window sill, which happens to be one cats' favorite vantage points. Cats never come anywhere near me while I'm doing my nails or right after. I figure they hate the smell of fresh polish. No sooner that I finished repainting my nails, I realized that one of the cats came to claim his spot and is laying directly on top of the used cotton balls. My first reaction was to grab the cat and wash off whatever the polish remover his fir picked up... but I couldn't do that without getting at least some of my nail polish on him... So I just stood the looking at the cat and slightly whimpering... Luckily my husband was home, he washed the cat. 
We just rescued a cat a few months ago and he likes to dig in the trash.  My biggest fear is him going through and eating one of my used cotton balls.

My adorable, yet idiotic dog has already been caught chewing a cotton square soaked in nail polish remover.  He didn't swallow any, and I observed him for the next few hours and he was fine (he may have lost some of the few brain cells he has left, but....).  He will eat ANYTHING.  Case in point, I clipped some matted fur off him tonight, and set it aside while I combed my fingers through, checking for other mats.  I turned back to throw the clippings away, and.... GONE.  Dummy had eaten his own fur!  It's a good thing he's so cute.   :laughno:

My adorable, yet idiotic dog has already been caught chewing a cotton square soaked in nail polish remover. He didn't swallow any, and I observed him for the next few hours and he was fine (he may have lost some of the few brain cells he has left, but....). He will eat ANYTHING. Case in point, I clipped some matted fur off him tonight, and set it aside while I combed my fingers through, checking for other mats. I turned back to throw the clippings away, and.... GONE. Dummy had eaten his own fur! It's a good thing he's so cute. :laughno:
Sergei has an obsession with chewing on my tape gun... I don't get it!!!

We just rescued a cat a few months ago and he likes to dig in the trash.  My biggest fear is him going through and eating one of my used cotton balls.
I hear you. I get pretty paranoid about cats and potentially dangerous substances (like cleaning supplier and such). But truth is, cats have very keen sense of smell and usually dangerous stuff does not smell appealing to them,

On a different note, one of my cats (the one involved in the incident) is rescued cats as well. And at first he was digging through the trash looking for something to eat, but after a while he realized that he is going to be feed anyway or just got lazy, and stopped. It took him couple of years though...  

Anytime I try to put nail polish on it's a disaster.  :laughing:

But seriously though, I am so polish challenged. I can never get it to apply evenly in the first place, and I'm also a habitual nail biter so that doesn't help. Plus, I'm an art student so it doesn't have a hope of staying on through my studio classes.

I don't think I'm cosmically destined to ever have cute nails. -sigh-

Two stories:

I discovered that nail polish remover, or at least the stuff in the 90's, will eat through carpet. My brand new carpet. A large hole in like the middle of the room. Thank god for leftover bits of carpet, I made a patch and my mother never knew what had happened.

Second story is again as a teen I received a bottle of nail polish in my stocking at Christmas time. Took it into the bathroom and as I lifted it up to put it away the WHOLE bottom of the bottle fell off and dumped all that nail polish all over the sink, counter, and my arm. Thank goodness it was a pearly white so it didn't completely ruin the sink but man, that sucked.

Anytime I try to put nail polish on it's a disaster.  :laughing:

But seriously though, I am so polish challenged. I can never get it to apply evenly in the first place, and I'm also a habitual nail biter so that doesn't help. Plus, I'm an art student so it doesn't have a hope of staying on through my studio classes.

I don't think I'm cosmically destined to ever have cute nails. -sigh-
Aaw, that sounds a bit fatalistic. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think it takes everyone many tries to eventually get coordinated enough that we're sometimes happy with our application and might actually not need to do any clean-up. Bear in mind 1) many polishes look a mess on their first coat and you might need up to four thin coats of polish to get something to look smooth and even; 2) sometimes the last (second or third) coat of polish will instead be better applied a bit thicker than the first/second coat(s) to achieve an even look, because polishes vary, and you might need to experiment on one nail first to find what works; 3) thinner is a key tool in your stash, as many polishes start out too thick to apply evenly (and thinner is different from acetone/remover, which can eventually break down your polish); 4) waiting for polish to dry between coats will help to prevent making a mess of the previous coat with the brush while trying to apply the next coat; 5) a quick-dry top coat is a jewel in the application process - a thick coat of it will make even glossy beauty out of an uneven polish application, and the fast drying top coats usually protect the mani fairly well from dents and smudging due to gentle use of the hands sooner than without; also, for you, that top coat enables you to wash art supplies off your hands and even use acetone on your nails without removing your under-layers of polish; 6) many of us are not as coordinated as it seems - we use a little brush with acetone on it to clean up the little messes at the cuticle edge, or on the fingers :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (I wipe the brush on a tissue) 7) glitter toppers and nail art are great covers for a less-than-ideal application. 8) Polished nails (especially when you invest your time and effort into doing them) are a great deterrent for nail-biting.

If the idea of doing your own nails intrigues you, and a good mani appeals to you, keep trying and you will get better at it!

When I first visited and met by parents in law I was terribly nervous. My boyfriend still had his room there so I took a couple of things with me to sleep over there. So then a whole lot of his family came to see his new girlfriend. His mother asked me to paint her nails because she was amazed by mine. I have to say that their house is cleaner than clean. I ran down the stairs and fell over my own feet and five polish bottles broke and all the polish was spilt over the floor and the walls whick looked somehow amazing for me but somehow not for them. The color just didn't want to go off, even with pure aceton. They had to repaint a wall and are now thinking about making a new floor too because yes, still ( 3 years later) the color doesn't go off.  :unsure:

http://www.nailsxo.com/2014/04/10/jess-nail-polish-swatches/

Not really a disaster, but something I wish I'd seen sooner after spending £11 on Nails Inc Baker Street, because All That Jazz looks like what I thought BS would, (though I think a white base coat might do the trick, I hope so anyway.) BS is duller even that Barry M Blue grape. Damn QVC for making it look really bright! 

I had one nail polish break on me, and it was a lovely deep red shade by Collection 2000, but I replaced it soon after. It was in a box with the rest of my collection, (how small that was only five years ago!) and I think the box fell on the floor, I can't remember now. 

Back