NEED - cat advice & moving advice

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keep us posted on how things work out! My two cats are sisters and they still have a spat every once in a while lol. I know it can be frustrating but I think everything will turn out just fine :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks for everyone's support! I appreciate it so much. We don't move in until the 15th but I will definitely update from there. Up til that point I'll just have to smother each one with love so they know they have it. It's only frustrating when they're mean and unpredictable but I like to think that I am a pretty patient person. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL My cats do as well and they'll chase each other to where I'm at. It's like baseball in a way around here because I'm the safe base. LOL That or they run to where the dog is at who well then just bark at all of them and the one chasing the other will go scurrying off.
Smart cats hahaha

Its possible I missed this in my skimming, but would either your boyfriend's parents or your parents take obie? You could still visit and love him but wouldn't stress out your other cats. There are ways to introduce cats, but sometimes this just won't work. My roommate and I have lived together for over a year and a half and her cat still hisses at mine. My cat is totally calm around the other cat, but it just doesn't work for them. For the most part, she keeps her cat in her bedroom since she has the huge master bedroom and my cat wanders the house. (Though this a point of contention because she locks my cat in my room if I'm not around and it makes me so mad but that is off topic lol).

Anyway, another step to introducing cats in addition to what everyone else has suggested is to feed them near each other. Start with feeding them on opposite sides of a door, then feed them together in a room, but with their bowls on opposite ends, then put the bowls next to each other. Obviously take it slow, but if they know they have to be around the other cat to eat, they'll get used to it. (I've not personally used this method with my own cat as my roommate was too worried about stressing her own cat out blah blah blah to attempt to properly introduce our cats but ANYWAY). 

Any news on the cats?  I know you are still getting settled, but I hope it works out. I love the animal planet show, "my cat from hell". Not sure why I like cat shows, because I do not own one and my son is allergic. They fascinate me.

UPDATE:

Have moved into the apt, been here a month and all the cats are here. Basically, they have their own two rooms and we take turns letting them out and we have been slowly introducing them for very short periods of time under very strict supervision. It's rough, but we're making very slow progress. Just thought you'd all wanna know. =]

Aw yay, good to hear! Glad things are progressing - even though it may be slow-going, you are doing things the right way! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Hellocat4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any news on the cats?  I know you are still getting settled, but I hope it works out. I love the animal planet show, "my cat from hell". Not sure why I like cat shows, because I do not own one and my son is allergic. They fascinate me.
I love My Cat from Hell.  I have learned about these integration techniques from the show.  Last year when I finally decided to get a kitten from my friend's litter.  I watched all the cat shows I could to learn about their development and how to make the transition to my house easier.  The show may be about cats with bad behaviors, but you can learn alot from it.  There are numerous episodes that deal with feuding cats and how to get them to tolerate each other.

I'm pretty late to the topic, but I know there is a room spray/scent thingie that actually calms cats. I've seen it at PetSmart, and from what I've heard, it really works.

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw yay, good to hear! Glad things are progressing - even though it may be slow-going, you are doing things the right way!
smile.gif
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So happy to hear you have both kitties and that it's slowly working out.
Thank you for your support ladies. =) 

Originally Posted by ttanner2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love My Cat from Hell.  I have learned about these integration techniques from the show.  Last year when I finally decided to get a kitten from my friend's litter.  I watched all the cat shows I could to learn about their development and how to make the transition to my house easier.  The show may be about cats with bad behaviors, but you can learn alot from it.  There are numerous episodes that deal with feuding cats and how to get them to tolerate each other.
That was smart of you to research before taking on the cat. I've had cats my whole life, but I got them all as kittens. Obie is my first rescue. He's warming up, I was just really stressing about the introduction.

Originally Posted by TXSlainte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty late to the topic, but I know there is a room spray/scent thingie that actually calms cats. I've seen it at PetSmart, and from what I've heard, it really works.
Someone just recently mentioned something like that to me. I'll have to look into it cuz now that's 2 people telling me it might work!

Originally Posted by Baberanza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was smart of you to research before taking on the cat. I've had cats my whole life, but I got them all as kittens. Obie is my first rescue. He's warming up, I was just really stressing about the introduction.

Someone just recently mentioned something like that to me. I'll have to look into it cuz now that's 2 people telling me it might work!
We had cats when I was younger, but I was too young to understand what went into raising a kitten.  Since my mother was the one to raise them I needed to learn for myself.  Actually she promoted alot of the bad behaviors they show.  She played rough, no cat tree, no typical toys, just milk jug rings and foil balls.  I think I am doing a decent job with Dite.

Originally Posted by ttanner2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We had cats when I was younger, but I was too young to understand what went into raising a kitten.  Since my mother was the one to raise them I needed to learn for myself.  Actually she promoted alot of the bad behaviors they show.  She played rough, no cat tree, no typical toys, just milk jug rings and foil balls.  I think I am doing a decent job with Dite.
Good. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm glad you're taking care of your cat. I've raised mine since they were born (except for Obie, the one I took in) and they're the sweetest, gentlest little babies <3. Their personalities really are completely dependent upon how they're brought up.

Latest posts

Back