Need guidance buying a flat iron!!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to buy a flat iron and am really confused with all the options. My hair is already straight but can get a bit "fuzzy" on the ends, so this is to smooth it out when I want a really sleek look.

Other than making sure you get a flat iron that is ceramic coated on the plates, is there really any difference between the moderate priced ones and the really expensive ones?

Could really use your help here! Thanks everyone
smile.gif

Cass

Jose Eber Straightening Iron..... It'll run u like close to $200 but if u look around u can find it for cheaper ALOT cheaper...... I have it and I love it!

I think there is a huge difference in the ones that are completely ceramic it makes ur hair soo healthy and shiny! Lasts longer and gets u hair that u never thought u could achieve

I have a chi and I like it alot, I also think there is a difference between lower end and higher end. I was surprised on how fast and easy it was to make my hair straight!

I would have to say that I think that buying a more expensive one like a Chi etc really makes a difference.

I have a low end brand (either Revlon or Conair) and all it does is flatten my hair not straighten it.

In agreement with the other girls... I think it is a must to splurge on a good flat iron. I had a Chi for YEARS and I loved it. My sister and I shared it though.. so when I moved out, I had to leave the Chi... it was only fair.
smile.gif

I then bought a T3, and while it's good, it's not great for how much it costs. (it's more than a Chi, and more than a Sedu it was $200+)

My last flat iron purchase was the Sedu. I LOVE it!! Great flat iron, so worth the price.

I don't think I can choose between a Chi and Sedu though. Chi might have a tiny edge... but I'm not sure. Eventually I'll buy another Chi. I love to constantly switch things up.

I've had cheaper flat irons and they just do not work. Buying a good flat iron is sooo worth it in the long run.

Don't buy a cheap one!! Seriously, i have tried them and they didn't do anything
smile.gif
you should check out folica.com they have really awesome deals on straighteners. There's one by SEDU which is a best seller. I just recommend that you get one that has 100% ceramic plates, not coated ceramic. And that it has a variable temperature setting. You don't want to get an iron where you can't turn the heat up or down. Good luck though and check out that site
biggrin.gif
HTH!

Thanks, girls! Well, I guess the consensus is, don't buy cheap! I will check out the Sedu and the Chi. Is the Chi all ceramic plates (not just coated)?

Also, do you think it is still worth buying an expensive one if my hair is fairly straight but I am looking for that really sleek look on the ends? And, how much do these things fry your hair if you just skim it on the ends a few times a week?

Thanks again!

Cass

i would get something skinny (more styling options) and with variable heat setting. cause if uou are just getting rid of frizz you dont want a super high heat so you will minimize damage to your hair

I also have straight hair and just use one to make it more sleek and flip out the ends a bit and I use a cheap one from vidal sassoon and it works fine. I would buy a cheap one first and try it out since you can return it if you don't like it and buy an expensive one.

You can minimize the damage it does to your hair by using an iron with ceramic plates not just coated, using a lower heat setting, using a heat protectant before you straighten, and a serum after on your ends, and using a deep conditioner concentrating on the ends too when you wash your hair.

I defintly say buy a Sedu, hair irons are defintly something you HAVE to splurge on or your just wasting your hair money and time. And the Sedu has different temperture settings. I agree YourOneandOnly about going to folica.com, my mom ordered her Sedu from there, got it within days and she totally loves it.

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif i would get something skinny (more styling options) and with variable heat setting. cause if uou are just getting rid of frizz you dont want a super high heat so you will minimize damage to your hair Do most women on here use the skinny one? I saw a 1" Sedu and then a bit larger one on Folica.com and not sure which to get. Any thoughts?

I think people suggest getting a skinnier one (1" - 1.5" max) because it is more versatile you can use it to create curls as well and I also think its better for shorter medium hair. The 2" thicker ones are better for longer thicker hair and will probably get your hair done quicker, and used only for straightening I dont think they are any good for making curls.

I maybe wrong so anyone feel free to correct me lol but Im about 70% sure Im right lol.

I can honestly say the CHI flat iron is the best there is. It's a little pricey, but well worth the extra money. At first I tried to save some $$ by buying the generic CHI iron from Sally Beauty, but it didn't work as good as the real thing... It really makes your hair soft and shiney.

Originally Posted by Killah Kitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think people suggest getting a skinnier one (1" - 1.5" max) because it is more versatile you can use it to create curls as well and I also think its better for shorter medium hair. The 2" thicker ones are better for longer thicker hair and will probably get your hair done quicker, and used only for straightening I dont think they are any good for making curls.
I maybe wrong so anyone feel free to correct me lol but Im about 70% sure Im right lol.

OK, another silly question, but how the heck can you create curls with a straightening iron???? (see how new I am to this)????

i don't use a flat iron on the regular but people say the CHI is bomb & ceramic is the best. i'm happy with my $15 conair one, but if you use it alot, you might wanna invest in a good one. killah kitty makes sense to me.

Go to Ulta, where their stylist will let you test out different ones. Then make your decision on which one works for you best!

When I first invested in a straightener I went cheap, and I bought a Conair. It didn't do anything to my hair except make it hot and more frizzy. My hairstylist suggested I buy a Chi and she swears by it. So I went and found one at Ulta for really cheap one day.... I bought it for like literally a $100. My hair stylist said that was such a bargain because usually their like $130 or something. Its totally worth it tho. I swear by it now. It makes my hair sleek and shiny even when I dont hairspray or defrizz it before I straighten it. Its so straight that when I sleep in it the next day its still straight! Amazing I tell you. A chi it does wonders.

I just had a chat with my hairdresser about buying a flat iron and here is what she had to say:

- Don't get an iron that can get too hot. If you use it very frequently, then it would be best to blowdry your hair first, then use the iron to straighten and smooth. This way, the heat won't damage the hair and make the ends split and go bristly.

- Get a slimline iron. It can be used for curls, flicks and poker straight ends as oppose to a thick one which can be very hard to creat flicks and curls.

- If you want to use your iron for curling, make sure the head of the iron isn't a 'heatproof' material. When curling you wind the hair around the head of the iron - so if the head doesn't heat up, it is hard to curl.

- Try out the different style of irons at your hairdresser first. One particular iron may make your hair limp or frizzy. They can also give you some products that will make your type of hair smooth after straightening.

I'm not from US, but I can say that the bigger the brand, the better.

Great replies and great info everyone...thanks!!! I will be going to Ulta to check out the CHI, since everyone seems to swear buy this!

Thanks again
smile.gif

Chi is the best. I just need to run the iron through each section and it's silky and straight.

Latest posts

Back